BA Blood Champion

In the BA Honour guard entry it states "One Honour Guard can be upgraded to a Blood Champion with power weapon and combat shield for + X points.

My question is can he still take equipment after buying this upgrade?

only if the other equipment says it can be taken by a blood champoin, or by "any model", or the "entire squad".

The blood champion gets a power weapon and combat shield.

None of the other Honor guard upgrades replace a power weapon or combat shield.

The entry for upgrading to a blood champion does not explicitly say it replaces all of his equipment, so as written, he would have a power weapon, combat shield, boltgun or bolt pistol, chainsword, frag grenades.

page 81 doesn't help.

So yes, in theory, you can upgrade the blood champion, but just about every other army list entry is "replace", except for the librarian HQ and the Furioso dreadnaught, the dred being explicit with upgrade/replace, and the librarian just being an enhanced stat line.

Probably an editing mistake by GW, but hey, RAW

You can not buy upgrades for the Blood Champion.

He has his own statline. He is not an Honor Guard, he is a Blood Champion.

The upgrades say "Any Honor Guard", so only someone with the stateline Honor Guard can buy them.

JamesI is correct, ignore what I said earlier. I looked through all the squad choices, and they word who can upgrade and how very specifically so you can't put heavy weapons on sergeants and other wonkiness, e.g. a "space marine sergeant" is not a "space marine" for upgrade porpoises.

You can't pick to upgrade and then rearm or rearm and then upgrade to get around such a restriction, afaict.

It also looks like the sanguinary novitate gets no upgrades or weapon choices.

No way around it. JamesI is correct.

To be fair, I wish I wasn't. Would be great to get upgrades on a Blood Champion or Sanguinary Novitiate.

Archived