[Artwork] Imperial Fists

Badaboom

Thank you all, brothers! I´m so glad to see some success with this image after so much work.

@Brother Rathul: I was wondering who would be the first to ask about it. There´s no special company pauldrons, just the color scheme of my own Imperial Fist minis. Didn´t like the full yellow scheme.

@Yogi: I guess criticism comes naturally when you dare show your work to the public, so one doesn´t really need to ask for it. That´s why forums were born, and the quality of a forum is the quality of its comments. That´s why B&C is probably the best 40K forum around the net.

Thanks again, guys.

PS: note that all you are allowed (after Sunday July 4th, please) to download and use this illustrations for non-profitable endings, and I expect you to mention me if you do.

Well that round of criticism went jolly well didn't it? I'm emboldened to give you more. Do with it what you will.

The vet with the powersword catching the nightlord's axe-hand is looking at the axehandle. This is fine but the blade is the sharp part, and since he has already caught the blow, he should be looking at the nightlord with a view to sword placement (ie: the nightlord's face). I'm a bit torn about whether to suggest shifting his eyes only or his whole head. The head is well drawn so it would be a shame to change it too much, but having said that, a pose change can be worth the effort. Maybe try with brightening his eyes (they're not easily visible at the moment) and shifting the irises and see what impact that has on the dynamic between the combatants.

The foreground nightlord irks me a bit too, mainly because he's such a well-drawn character, and changing him might be painful. Nonetheless, improvements to him could improve the whole picture and besides that the power of the internet compels me to voice my ideas.

He suffers a similar problem to the powersword vet, in that he's not interacting with captain bluehammer. If I was aware of a charging Astartes with a hammer that was that close to me, he would have my undivided attention. With regard to how this might be improved without sending you back to the drawing board, again the orientation of the head is key, but changing it is problematic because it's even nicer than sword-vet's face. Could you cut his head out and mirror-image it? Either that or since you're so wizardy with this drawing business, the picture would make a lot more sense if the nightlord was directing that marvellous snarl of his at someone or something. Captain bluehammer is the obvious choice, but it means redrawing that wonderful ugly head.

Hmmm. Maybe you could give him a squadmate on the far left of frame to snarl at? It might mean partially obscuring the heavy bolter, but the gun itself is a bit indistinct. I also notice a perspective niggle with heavy-bolter marine's helmet being in front of his backpack, where it should be almost cowled by it.

Looking at this picture is a delight.

The vet with the powersword catching the nightlord's axe-hand is looking at the axehandle.

Man, you have been looking at this REALLY close!

Hmmm. Maybe you could give him a squadmate on the far left of frame to snarl at? It might mean partially obscuring the heavy bolter, but the gun itself is a bit indistinct. I also notice a perspective niggle with heavy-bolter marine's helmet being in front of his backpack, where it should be almost cowled by it.

That´s something I´ve been thinking since the first moment. To add some Tanith Guardsman/IF was an option, though it would change so many things...About the heavy bolter guy, I realized too late the backpack thing, and I simply love the very simple way it´s painted, so I guess I will allow myself that little mistake

Looking at this picture is a delight.

Thanks dude! :)

Wow! Did you ever thinked on doing some kind of webcomic (hey, i had to try XD)?

Yes, in my nightmares I´ve done so ;) . I think I would never get into the comic industry again without a veeeeery good compensation. Too much work, lads.

Very well done. Your scheme is much better than the GW one. Its actually the old first companey pre-(horus)heresey scheme. btw why waste such talent on the fists :)

Mmmmhhh...That would explain why I somehow recall that IF color scheme, perhaps I saw it somewhere when I started playing, loooong ago.

What do you mean with "wasting talent on the Fists"? Be careful, or one day you may find an angry-yellow-eternal-warrior-hulk willing to introduce you to the marvelous universe of the pain glove :)

Yeah, I guess wearing bright yellow and withstanding all the "imperial lemons, space canaries, banana marines" stuff is part of the self-punishment tendency they have. Also, IF players tend to partially share that: why else would they choose to paint thousands of SM points in yellow?

What do you mean with "wasting talent on the Fists"? Be careful, or one day you may find an angry-yellow-eternal-warrior-hulk willing to introduce you to the marvelous universe of the pain glove :confused:

an angry marine with a knuckle duster made out of space marine bike chain?

lol

awsome picture, i am a humble doodler, without your skill, or your patience. thankyou for showing me what a finished piece of work looks like

Brothers, I´m glad to say that this picture has become the official winner of the GD 2010 here in Madrid. Nothing great, but still a good reason to celebrate ^_^

Nothing great?! I think you underestimate the significance of that feat mate!

It's a very beautiful piece and I know you have already entered it in competition, but I've just one bit of critique that should be easy to address.

I would size up the barbed wire in front of Mr. Heavy Bolter, because at the moment the top edge of the wire is much too low to the ground, which artificially increases his height. Out of context, THAT would make him look dreadnought sized. Nothing big, just putting in my two cents. Hope it helps, and keep up the amazing work!

EDIT: I spelled height wrong!!! Silly me.

He suffers a similar problem to the powersword vet, in that he's not interacting with captain bluehammer. If I was aware of a charging Astartes with a hammer that was that close to me, he would have my undivided attention.

Dude, I swear I seriously considered this, but I was waaaay too tired to make such changes. Perhaps if I retake the picture in the future...

@Loketh: I see that so many of you have pointed out the same kind of proportion issues. Though I really appreciate the feedback, I have to say that proportion is a concept which seems to elude everything related to Power Armoured guys. Just review your codex, and you´ll find the same mistakes many times.

Anyway, this is no excuse, and I promise the have this in mind for future works.

Thanks a lot to everybody! :cry:

This image is truly amazing and I concidering that you have allready stated it may be used for non-profit work I hope it is ok with you that it is also used for the Nestir V AoD Campaign here on the B&C.

This is a long time narrative "Campaign" involving many, many people and we allready have lots of stories and quite a bit of artworkallready.

The Nestir Campaign is currently on pause, but once it is finished I hope to collect all the info etc. in one or more Forge World style Campaign books. Also there may be a web site up before that as well.

I hope it is ok for me to use this image for that; naturally with full mention and credits to you!

If you are interested in making dedicated Nestir V art as well, that would be a welcome addition.

Top notch work! - Keep it up! :rolleyes:

If you are interested in making dedicated Nestir V art as well, that would be a welcome addition.

Thanks for the comments, of course it´s ok for you to use it (I have the High-res copy if you need it). About the Nestir V thing, what´s it about? I´m really busy, but I wouldn´t mind to help if there´s time to.

Nestir V is a so called "Arena of Death". A net based "web campaign" held here on the B&C.

Normally each side is represented by 16 players sporting a hero character that fights a character on the opposing team. - So 32 Characters in all; each belonging to an individual member here on the B&C. - In addition to this there are many supporting non-player characters.

There are two sides. Chaos and Imperial and one huge "arena of death" - the battlezone the campaign takes place in. This time it is the enormous ice planet "Nestir V", and it's star system.

Each side gets options and points they can use to try and set up spesific battles, pitting one character against another. Then once the battle is set, the arranger rolls the battle up and a narrative story is written based on the outcome. In this way the direction of the Campaign is also controlled by the outcome of the battles.

Stories can also be written for Characters outside of battles and to tie battles together. - So called "In between stories".

Nestir V was announced in late 2007 and started properly in early 2008. It has had quite a bit of pauses and people coming and going, but it has been pretty successfull and has gathered to it many authors, a few artists and many, many stories.

All in all I think this is probably the longest running international web based narrative "Campaign" ever held and the B&C should be proud of it now and even prouder of it once it is done.

It is on hold right now however, but the plan is to get going again later this year.

An incomplete list of Nestir stories can be found here.

Some artwork allready made for it can be found here and here

Oh and a high-res version would be great!

You can send it using http://www.codexguardianangels.com/contact.htm

Or if you prefer setting up a download URL yourself, that would be great as well.

Thank you so very very much! :Troops:

Sending HR copy right now. If you´re going to continue this campaign later on this year, contact me again once you need soe artwork and we´ll see if my work schedule allowes me to do something for you, ok?

i don't see any problem with the perspective

the guy in front is striding forward while leaning forward. if he was standing straight, he'd be taller than the guys in back. plus they're only a few feet behind him anyway, its not going to be a huge perspective difference.

Archived