How to counter Blood Angels with Codex Marines?

brainwashed

Thanks for the reply, Thade. These are all salient points. I'm actually in the (albeit long) process of building up a unit of assault Scouts for counter assault and at least two, and more than likely, three Vindicators.

I like where this thread went. It's not everyday that a forum thread stays on topic with well thought out discussions. :cuss

Be careful with assault teams in general, especially scouts (for their fragile and less potent natures); keep them behind your tank line (if they're jump marines) or tucked deep into cover with your long-range support (if they're scouts or transport-less footslogging assault marines). Their objectives are to either

1. Charge a closing enemy unit before it can charge your fire line.

2. Counter-charge a enemy unit that has charged your fire line.

Once you get more comfortable with them (or likely, well before you do, as everybody gets crazy with assault marines early on) you can try using them as a front-lines kind-of-thing. Sure, you can charge them in fast and heavy, trusting that 3+ (and FnP if we're talking about crazy BA players here) to keep *most* of them alive (and trusting your Ld to prevent a break and fallback)...but sneaking them up behind tanks or cover will mean more hits come the charge.

Hope this stuff is helpful; it took me months of trial and error (and probably less consideration than was warranted) to get Assault Marines down.

Awesome posts guys! Kinda hit a snag here since my friend is fielding an almost all Jump pack Army Headed by Astro-boy and Lemartes. My main prob is we play Planetstrike all the time which makes a BA JP army very very deadly. I'm trying to find a counter to wipeout his infantry since I field a large shooty Blood Ravens(Codex) army - hence need some advice...

Here is his Set-up: 2000pts aprox.

Astorath

3 Sang Priests (Jumppack and power weapon each)

10 Man Death company w/ Lemartes (one marine has an infernus pistol and another with a powerfist)

10 Man Assault (2 meltas, sergeant has melta bombs and powerfist)

Reg dread (multi-melta, storm bolter, and bloodfist)

Furioso Dread (2 blood fists, under melta & flamer)

5 man Vanguad.

This combo we found on another site since he was trying to build his army and this damn set-up has been plaguing me since! He breaks all his 10 mans up into combat squads - hence 9 combat squads - everything has Descent of Angels except for the dreads which wreaks havoc with his meltas if you counter with armor. I have :cusse for CC infantry - even then he's got Red thirst and the Sang priests give him first crack most of the time for assault. My Sternguard is great till the get assaulted and that's that! I have Termies and CC termis - but they just don't cut through them fast enough.

Here's my prob for PlanetStrike. As long as the point is contested, the attacker(my friend) almost always wins since as long as he can tie me up - by turn six he's won. So far every game we've played since he fielded this new BA army set-up - he's won.

I need an anti-infantry counter to this. Thanks folks!

Tigurius

Archived