WW3 anyone?

Brother_Fatiswon

i have 2 oop rhinos and i have parts and peices to convert both into whirl winds, and while i understand that 2 is really 3, and so far better than one.. What about running your full FOC heavy slots with 3 whirlwind tanks? thoughts, horror stories, anything regarding....

2 is good, 3? I wouldnt do outside of apocalypse.

Just hurts your AT firepower to much- unless you know the scenario and opponent ahead of time I cant think of a single game type it would be an advantage.

Well... maybe, planetstrike defender, especially if you know your facing nids or orks, theyd be beautiful.

would you take 2 WW if it meant that you were left without any Rhino for mech units?

In planetstrike? Without hesitation against horde armies.

In general? I wouldnt take 3 WWs in general, just 2- but the lack or rhinos simply isnt an issue if you have good support units.

Hello!

I've been experimenting with 3 Whirlies for a few games now, and it's tough to decide whether I like 'em or not. Against MEQ, they aren't very good. Against hordes, they are great, until you get into close combat. Once you are in combat with hordes, the whirlwinds really don't have a use. They can fire at tougher targets, but have little effect. Against Tau and IG, they are effective against troop units... but then get destroyed.

Like Grey said, it really hinders your heavy support choices... I'd consider WW's moderate support, rather than heavy support.

Keep the models, and use them (and some land speeders) in a supression force in Apocalypse. I plan to have 5 ww's in mine.

Personally I think whirlwinds are more distraction than anything else although they can make a mess of light infantry on foot... If you can make people chase a whilrwind (hidden behind terrain if you can) rather than go for more dnagerous units or objectives then the whirlwind has probably got its points back.

Wow.. thank you all for the input, I think what i'm going to do, is model the turret mounts and Rocket pods (oh btw, i'm using the rokkits from the deffkopter from my Aobr box and the uprites from a couple of agis(sp) defence line boxes.. for you Vert Heads) and get some tank hatch lids that can "float" in my carry case... that way i run either rhino charge, or over head death rain.. i doubt i'll put any effort out for a 3rd, unless an oop Ww come into my hands or another oop rhino....(i can't stand the new rhino model, or the Neo-WW lauchers.. imo. Again thanks for the imput guys.. may ur guns never jam. (no 1's please)

I think 2 is the magic number for Whirlwinds. In this way you can place them in opposite corners of your deployment zone and always be within range to blast something. Besides taking chunks out of horde armies, they are a great counter to getting rid of annoying cover hugging units like Cloak Scouts or Pathfinders.

Having said that, you really need to make sure that your anti-tank is covered. I find that Marine armies have an easy time getting infantry killing weapons on the board.

yeah.. that's my trouble i can feild Way too much AI over AA and really trying to find the right balance.. without dropping another large chunk of cash... or get stuck with a watered down gunline.. due to lack of models or guns... idk.. i hate the push to "mech up or die" that is the current era's watchword from the high lords of GW... ;)

Archived