New FAQs and odd impacts

So the new nid FAQ rules that Shadow in the Warp has no impact on embarked psykers. As a correlary this means that psychic hoods and runic weapons also dont work on embarked psychers (they have identical targeting mechanics). Its odd, and but thats the precident set. Models in transports are officialy imune to any bad thing that could ever happen to them from outside so long as the transport is alive.

I keep being told that we can't take what happens in one FAQ as precedent for another codex. So perhaps the Shadow in the Warp ruling can't be extended to other dexes (Now personally, I don't believe this, we should go with the best precedent)

I keep being told that we can't take what happens in one FAQ as precedent for another codex. So perhaps the Shadow in the Warp ruling can't be extended to other dexes.

I'd agree with this totally. Individual Codex FAQs are focused on being very unit, race or chapter specific and are not there as more generic precedent-setters for other like units or rules in other Codexes.

Unless we are told otherwise in other FAQs :).

Cheers

I

well pros and cons

the logic is simple, the embarked psiker can't be within 12'' from a shadow because he (the libbie) is not on the table, so he is supposed also never be within 24'' from an hood.

how will we play this? time will tell :)

Theonly rule affected by the Tyranid FAQ ruling is Shadow in the Warp. Marines don't have that rule, nor does any non-Tyranid unit. FAQs don'ty carry cross-codex.

Want precedent? Compare the Dark Angels FAQ that disallows a turbo-boost as a Scout move to the fact that EVERY other army can do so.

It's a Tyrnaid Official Update, not an Every Army in the Game Official Update.

It's a Tyranid Official Update, not an Every Army in the Game Official Update.
+1

Models in transports are on the table, otherwise they are dead or in reserve. There's no other legal (or common sense) location for them to be, so that argument has no foundation whatsoever.

So the new nid FAQ rules that Shadow in the Warp has no impact on embarked psykers. As a correlary this means that psychic hoods and runic weapons also dont work on embarked psychers (they have identical targeting mechanics). Its odd, and but thats the precident set. Models in transports are officialy imune to any bad thing that could ever happen to them from outside so long as the transport is alive.

The FAQ does not say abilities LIKE Psychic Scream and Shadow of the Warp, it specifically points them out individually. So you have a FAQ that specifically points out two Tyranid abilities. You cannot then try to apply specific named limitations to a broader spectrum.

There is no correlation.

But its more fun to run around like a headless chicken screaming about hte sky falling in and how evil GW has "nerfed everything evva in t wurld"... Intelligence is not a natural part of being human - you need to work on it every day.

The thing is that (in a tourny seen I'm sure they will have their own answer) but if you go to a nid player and say XXX but because it isn't mentioned in my marine (if the rules are written in the same manner) FAQ I wont apply the same logic and this is in the nid FAQ section not the errata section then the nid player can say poop to you the FAQ is unofficial I don't have to stick with any ruling it gives... and unlike where I don't think cover saves should be allowed against mind war I don't see any rules contridicting me in the case of SitW.

The thing is that (in a tourny seen I'm sure they will have their own answer) but if you go to a nid player and say XXX but because it isn't mentioned in my marine (if the rules are written in the same manner) FAQ I wont apply the same logic and this is in the nid FAQ section not the errata section then the nid player can say poop to you the FAQ is unofficial I don't have to stick with any ruling it gives... and unlike where I don't think cover saves should be allowed against mind war I don't see any rules contridicting me in the case of SitW.

Except that the document is titled "Codex: Tyranids Official Update."

so this means that only blood angels can use smoke in scout move? and only BA priest calculate furious charge bonus at the moment to strike and those ruels does not effect similar effects?

for example if

i chare with ba, you kill the priest i don't have furous charge

i charge with vanilla, you kill my chappy i still reroll?

and so on?

just to know

btw this seems a dangerous precedent to me

I agree, its a very dangerous precident- however it doesnt even begin to matter.

Why? Because Shadow In the Warp is not a rule that is available to anyone but tyranids. Thus, the clarification on their rule cannot be used as a guideline to anyone elses rules.

As opposed to say psychic hoods, wich are unchanged between C:SM and C:BA, or DPs, whos deep striking ability hasnt changed in years.

Just like the Mycetic Spore is has different rules from Drop Pods

Mycetic Spore can't drop empty -Drop pod can.

Mycetic spore can't transport an IC- Drop Pod can.

The 'nid power is different from other psychic powers.

The Errata have the same level of 'authority' as the main rules, as they effectively modify the published material. They are 'hard' material. It is a good idea to read them and be aware of their existence, but luckily there are very few of them for each book.

The FAQs on the other hand are very much 'soft' material. They deal with more of a grey area, where often there is no right and wrong answer - in a way, they are our own 'Studio House Rules'. They are, of course, useful when you play a pick-up game against someone you don't know, or at tournaments (i.e. when you don't have a set of common 'house rules' with the other player). However, if you disagree with some answers and prefer to change them in your games and make your own house rules with your friends, that's fine. In fact we encourage you to shape the game around your needs and your taste. We firmly believe that wargaming is about two (or more!) people creating a gaming experience they are both going to enjoy. In other words, you might prefer to skip the FAQs altogether and instead always apply the good old 'roll a dice' rule whenever you meet a problematic situation.

From this page http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/...amp;aId=3400019

The errata is technically the only thing you have to obey, the FAQ can be completely ignored if you want to.

The Shadow in the Warp thing was odd but there may be something in the fluff to make this the case, I don't know. The only other thing I thought was odd based on what I remember was the smoke in the scout move thing. Smoke really can only be popped at the end of your movement phase (EDIT: technically wrong here, it says after it moves but the idea is still sound) and the pre game section isn't a movement phase. The whole thing and the thing about whether you can hit them (referring to another thread some of you may remember) would be made a hell of a lot clearer with a sort of turn 0 which consists of just a movement phase where you can do things like scouts, infiltrators, Eldrads re-deployment thing etc. It gives you a turn so you can do things like pop smoke and and have a previous turn for the sake of things like first turn charges. It would tidy things up a bit.

Just like the Mycetic Spore is has different rules from Drop Pods

Mycetic Spore can't drop empty -Drop pod can.

Mycetic spore can't transport an IC- Drop Pod can.

The 'nid power is different from other psychic powers.

That's because Spore's unlike Drop Pods, aren't transports. Given that, it's logically consistent rulings.

The Tyranid thing isn't logically consistent... Shadow of the warp doesn't work. If this is because the Librarian isn't on the table, then how are you justified in his hood working if he isn't on the table? It's silly, and hurts the credibility of the FAQs. They really should do away with FAQs completely and just errata their rules. What good is a 'soft FAQ' when to a player the hard rules implicitly contradict it?

Nobody is concerned about the BA smoke in their scout phase? Does it apply to Turn 1? Where is all that "deployment doesn't affect real game" theory? THAT is a BIG mistake!

Tanhausen, there is a lot of discussion on that in the BA forum.

I wish they had gone into some more detail then, as it creates the RAW legal situation of:

Scout. Smoke. If I then go first, I can move, shoot. Claim cover from smoke on my opponent's turn.

I wish they had gone into some more detail then, as it creates the RAW legal situation of:

Scout. Smoke. If I then go first, I can move, shoot. Claim cover from smoke on my opponent's turn.

as i told time ago :tu:

You could already do that with Turboboosting... if I remember right that refers to the opponents next shooting phase (i may be wrong) and I think both are stupid....

That's because Spore's unlike Drop Pods, aren't transports. Given that, it's logically consistent rulings.

They are Transports, they are not vehicles, heh..nevermind the point still stands.

The Tyranid thing isn't logically consistent... Shadow of the warp doesn't work. If this is because the Librarian isn't on the table, then how are you justified in his hood working if he isn't on the table? It's silly, and hurts the credibility of the FAQs. They really should do away with FAQs completely and just errata their rules. What good is a 'soft FAQ' when to a player the hard rules implicitly contradict it?

BRB pg. 2 " The most important rule then is that the rules aren't all that important! So long as both

Players agree, you can treat them as sacrosanct or mere guidelines- the choice is entirely yours."

This is old news ,yes the FAQs are 'soft ' rules but really GW treats all of the rules as soft.

Which is one of the reasons they are such a mess in places.

I think it comes down to this

BRB FAQ;

"Q. Can Psychic powers be used on a unit

embarked on a transport?

A. For simplicity’s sake, the answer has to be a

firm ‘No, unless the psyker himself is in the unit

being transported’."

They just don't want to deal with it at all.

SeattleDV8 wins. All day. Thank you for reminding me how to play a game for fun :drool:

Agreed and while very true - remember that this +OR+ section of the B&C is here precisely for those who like to get down and dirty into the nitty-gritty of the rules. In that sense the rules are all-important. So the "game is fun" scenario - despite actually being a rule itself - is anathma to some of the topics and can become very secondary :RTBBB:.

Just the nature of the +OR+ beast.

Cheers

I

Archived