move messurement quandry

Agrab

I was playing a game last night with one of my roomies in prep for a tournament and came across an odd question. He measured 12 inches from a vehicle during the movement to see the max he could move, then only moved 6 and fired it's gun. I am wondering two things:

1) If you measure more than 6, do you count as moving more than that?

2) If not, is that premessurement?

I was playing a game last night with one of my roomies in prep for a tournament and came across an odd question. He measured 12 inches from a vehicle during the movement to see the max he could move, then only moved 6 and fired it's gun. I am wondering two things:

1) If you measure more than 6, do you count as moving more than that?

2) If not, is that premessurement?

From your description I'd say no on both counts. Otherwise you'd only ever be allowed to pull your retractable ruler out to the exact distance you wanted to move or else be accused of illegal measuring.... which would be totally impractical and silly.

Also pre-measuring wouldn't be a factor here as he's allowed to move any distance up to his max allowed distance. So it makes sense to extend your ruler to at least that far (or thereabouts) anyway. Whether you decide to move less than your maximum is up to you - however far your ruler is deployed.

Cheers

I

"It is perfectly fine to measure a unit's move in one direction, and then change your mind and decide to move it somewhere else or decide not to move it at all." pg11

In short, he's good as movement is the one thing you can "premeasure." :tu:

ok, so clearly no premessure issue, however, I still see one with distance. If measuring at all counts as moving for shooting, why doesn't measuring more than 6 count for that in terms of shooting?

"It is perfectly fine to measure a unit's move in one direction, and then change your mind and decide to move it somewhere else or decide not to move it at all." pg11

@Agrab

This(above) is why you can measure and then decide you don't want to move at all. You only count as moving if you actually did, measuring to move does not count as moving for anything. So in your example he only actually moved up to 6", therefore counts as moving only 6" regardless of how far he measured to move.

see also:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...howtopic=204689

another pre-measurement thread

One pet peeve of mine is the ever-extending measurement tape measure. Say it's possible but not probably figs are in charge range. Your opponent whips out 14" of tape and goes to measure his 6" move and just happens to coincidentally eyeball the charge range with the extra tape that just happens to be pointed at and sometimes knocking your figs over.

Another thing to watch out for is the measure, move, "oops, I want to move elsewhere", figs get put back, measure, move, figs get put back, rinse repeat. Somehow your opponent may end up with a 8-12" move.

Some LGS do proxies for movement to try and keep track of where the figs are in case they want to change the move, but RAW, pre-measurement is fine but once the fig is picked up and moved, it stays put.

There are some tricky aspects of difficult terrain tests as mentioned in the other thread (roll then decide not to do the move), but dangerous terrain tests are taken once the figs are committed and moved, "has entered" (pg 14).

Some LGS do proxies for movement to try and keep track of where the figs are in case they want to change the move, but RAW, pre-measurement is fine but once the fig is picked up and moved, it stays put.

I agree with that on infantry models, but not on vehicles. It's easy enough to put a couple of dice where your vehicle is and then move it and decide you don't want to and move it back to the dice.

Edit: Also it is not RAW that your model has to stay put once you move it. Nowhere in the Movement section does it say anything like this.

No where in the movement section does it say you can, either. Pre-measuring and deciding on which direction and then changing the direction is covered. So is deciding not to move if you don't like a difficult terrain test.

By your logic I could move a tank into difficult (dangerous) terrain, roll for the effect, get immobilized, then say "oh wait, I didn't want to go that way", and move into non-difficult (dangerous) terrain and ignore the failed terrain result. Doesn't say I can't, as long as I haven't "completed" the move of that model and started on another.

Rather than get into a "permissive/non-permissive ruleset' argument, I'll just leave it at "play however you like as long as your opponent is fine with it" ;)

I agree with that on infantry models, but not on vehicles. It's easy enough to put a couple of dice where your vehicle is and then move it and decide you don't want to and move it back to the dice.

Edit: Also it is not RAW that your model has to stay put once you move it. Nowhere in the Movement section does it say anything like this.

Once youve physicly moved the model to its new location the model has preformed its move.

If you occaisionaly take it back, or do something silly, thats one thing- but anyone who tries to move, re place and then move again is going to get alot of unhappy opponents, even if they do mark the spot with dice.

No where in the movement section does it say you can, either. Pre-measuring and deciding on which direction and then changing the direction is covered. So is deciding not to move if you don't like a difficult terrain test.

By your logic I could move a tank into difficult (dangerous) terrain, roll for the effect, get immobilized, then say "oh wait, I didn't want to go that way", and move into non-difficult (dangerous) terrain and ignore the failed terrain result. Doesn't say I can't, as long as I haven't "completed" the move of that model and started on another.

No you can't, once you roll dice, thats it. There's no going back after that and it does say you can't do that. Pg57 under Terrain effects "A result of 1[on the D6] means that the vehicle halts immediately and suffers an immobilised damage result, so if it was attempting to enter difficult terrain it stops outside"

So in your example you roll a one and are then immediately immobilised where you entered the terrain. If you are in terrain you'd roll before ever moving the vehicle.

Grey Mage: Obviously if you are constantly moving and replacing vehicles then yeah, that's not cool. But on occasion placing dice and seeing what it would look like in it's new position won't cause too much uproar.

Archived