Vehicle Squadrons

stormsson

Is any unit of more than one vehicle considered a Squadron?

I only ask because a friend has recently bought the latest Imperial Armour book and intends to do a Mek army from it.

In C:Orks the unit type for Killa Kans is listed as a squadron of 1-3. In IA they are only listed as a 3-5 choice, no mention of it actually being a squadron. I assumed it would be a squadron and follow all the rules for such but then he pointed out that they can take Armour Plates and Grot Riggers as upgrades for them, which I had to agree was a bit pointless if they counted as a squadron.

So your thoughts on this?

Stormsson

Is any unit of more than one vehicle considered a Squadron?

I only ask because a friend has recently bought the latest Imperial Armour book and intends to do a Mek army from it.

In C:Orks the unit type for Killa Kans is listed as a squadron of 1-3. In IA they are only listed as a 3-5 choice, no mention of it actually being a squadron. I assumed it would be a squadron and follow all the rules for such but then he pointed out that they can take Armour Plates and Grot Riggers as upgrades for them, which I had to agree was a bit pointless if they counted as a squadron.

So your thoughts on this?

Stormsson

Yes they are squadrons unless the rules specifically say that they deploy individually such as in the case of Death Cult Assassins (an infantry unit but the same idea applies)... so yer large units of killakans or deff dreads can be stopped by immobilising them ;) also grot tanks rock...

So I assume the upgrades are there just because all orks get them, much like Thraka having Furious Charge even though he can never benifit from it lol.

Are Grot Tanks really that good? He's just bought some and we're starting a new campaign soon. I looked at them and wasn't too worried by them.

Stormsson

So I assume the upgrades are there just because all orks get them, much like Thraka having Furious Charge even though he can never benifit from it lol.

Are Grot Tanks really that good? He's just bought some and we're starting a new campaign soon. I looked at them and wasn't too worried by them.

Stormsson

XD They are grots in tanks... what can I say... Although They could be used as mini missiles in spearhead by using the crush them formation... :P nah I just think mini tanks are cool :(....

If memory serves correctly, the IA formation for Killer Kans involves 3-5 squadrons of them... Unless you're talking about the ork mek army list, in whtch case its probably 3-5 individual kans in a kan mob.

The wording for the vendetta squadron is the same 1-3 vendettas and this is covered in the FAQ... that they are a squadron (in the IA8 Elysian list)... although Ork dead and killakan mobs are not covered in the FAQ the idea seems in my mind to be the same that they are units... also the upgrades are not totally useless... while it is true most of the time they are not useful once down to the last one (or if in a unit of one in the case of DEFF Dreads) then they do have a use... also they may have just stolen the unit options and so on from the ork codex without thinking :))...

As far as I understood, any unit of vehicles more than 1 counts as a Squadron.

It is possible to buy a Squadron of kanz, and give one of them plates and riggers, so that when all it's mates are blown up, it can then use the upgrades.

You could buy all then kanz the upgrades, so whichever survives can use them. A lot to pay for minor bonus that you'll hardly use, but an option all the same!

I do not have the book in front of me, but if it says the unit is comprised of multiple vehicles then yes, it would be a squadron.

The upgrades could be useful if the others were destroyed, etc.

Archived