Psychic Hood in Land Raider

Isryion

No, it is mostly incorrect.

Any psychic shooting attack, or any other psychic power that requires line of sight, requires a fire point.

Any psychic power that doesn't require LOS does not need a fire point.

Psychic hoods, not being a psychic power at all, do not require a fire point. It is simply something with a range value. You measure it from the edge of the vehicle's hull.

Same as say Pedro Kantors aura that gives friendly soldeirs +1 attack, or the Furious Charge/FNP bubble of a Sanguinairy Priest.

There may be some confusion on this because of the recent tyranid FAQ, however the "shadow in the warp" ability is not, nor is it in any way related to, a psychic hood and the FAQ has no bearing on it.

Same as say Pedro Kantors aura that gives friendly soldeirs +1 attack, or the Furious Charge/FNP bubble of a Sanguinairy Priest.

There may be some confusion on this because of the recent tyranid FAQ, however the "shadow in the warp" ability is not, nor is it in any way related to, a psychic hood and the FAQ has no bearing on it.

The nid FAQ would have no confusion on the hood going out. The part were confusion may arive is the hood going in but thats for another time. Abilities may permiate out of a transport. Fire points are only needed for LOS

The nid FAQ would have no confusion on the hood going out. The part were confusion may arive is the hood going in but thats for another time. Abilities may permiate out of a transport. Fire points are only needed for LOS

if it can go out, it should go back in

Any psychic power that doesn't require LOS does not need a fire point.

This should read "Any non-shooting psychic power..."

A shooting psychic power still needs a fireport even if it does not require LOS. For example a Farseer cannot mindwar Eldritch Storm out of a falcon. But a farseer can cast doom from within a falcon.

EDIT: Changed Mindwar to Eldritch Storm :)

Of course, thats only because Mindwar informs us of as much.

Actually Mindwar tells us you cannot target units in a vehicle, not that it can't be shot out of one. But it requires LOS. Oops. :)

I meant to say eldritch storm cannot be cast while in a falcon, not Mindwar.

My bad! :tu:

Of course, thats only because Mindwar informs us of as much.

Actually Mindwar tells us you cannot target units in a vehicle, not that it can't be shot out of one. But it requires LOS. Oops. :)

I meant to say eldritch storm cannot be cast while in a falcon, not Mindwar.

My bad! :tu:

Again, not nessecairily- because the very start of Eldar psychic powers informs us they dont need line of sight to the target. The power itself doesnt contradict this, though the FAQ states it is a "psychic shooting attack". However, codex>brb, it could easily be argued that you dont need LOS to place the template.

I havent played it that way myself, but its certainly a valid statement. This is because I feel the "unless otherwise noted" means that the BRB's definition of the requirements for a psychic shooting attack take precidence, but thats just my opinion.

The entire section of psychic powers concerning passengers is a mess.

Passengers inside are not affected as if teh vehicle had the same effect like a farady cage on a lighning, but the passengers can freely use many of their psychic powers.

Pure fluff wise you can ask, how does the psyker inside the vehicle know when to counter a psychic power, when he isnt affected by it? Is a squadmember yelling a warning to him while his eyes at glued to a periscope?

The idea that Shadow of the Warp does not affect psykers inside a vehicle is.. nonsense. Of course gamers have to buy GW vehicles to use that misrule to their advantage.

Also dont forget what what GW writes about FAQs:

The FAQs on the other hand are very much 'soft' material. They deal with more of a grey area, where often there is no right and wrong answer - in a way, they are our own 'Studio House Rules'. They are, of course, useful when you play a pick-up game against someone you don't know, or at tournaments (i.e. when you don't have a set of common 'house rules' with the other player). However, if you disagree with some answers and prefer to change them in your games and make your own house rules with your friends, that's fine. In fact we encourage you to shape the game around your needs and your taste. We firmly believe that wargaming is about two (or more!) people creating a gaming experience they are both going to enjoy. In other words, you might prefer to skip the FAQs altogether and instead always apply the good old 'roll a dice' rule whenever you meet a problematic situation.

I once read that parts of these FAQ aren't even playtested by GW itself, they have gamer group they listen to. (Rumor warning on this please)

Archived