FW Wolf Guard Terminator Bust

Replica

Alrighty,

Now that ive finished my last FW project, here is my next one, the fantastic FW Wolf Guard Terminator. I posted this in the SW section to get some opinions, but i will do the extended WIP in here. This model is very old and as such, it doesnt have the extensive level of detail of current SW range.

I didnt get a pic of the unaltered model (i never remember to...) but here is the pic from FW:

(not my work)

gallery_49031_5065_27221.jpg

Personally i like the model, but it is pretty dated. Back when this was made some SW's looked just like normal Marines but with some fangs. However all you have to do is look at this model next to the new SW Terminators and its clear to see this bust needs a fair bit of work...

It needed a new hair cut, and as Emperor's Scourge pointed out, the fangs, while they have tried to put some on, are nowhere near the size one would expect a Wolf Guard's to be.

gallery_49031_5065_39610.jpg

I intend to do a little more detailing work, and alot of freehand in the painting of it and will keep this thread updated.

All C&C welcome, thanks for looking!

Cheers,

Replica

stinkenheim Posted Today, 03:49 AM

looking forward to this.

Good choice on the chapter this time tongue.gif

Haha, yeah i have been favoring the blood suckers of late, time to give some love to my hairy brethren!

wulfgarr Posted Today, 04:22 AM

Nice to see someone update this fine bust!Cant wait to see more of this.

Yeah, ive seen one other SW conversion, there's 3 or 4 other versions people have converted into CSM's. I think the original model looks very 3rd edition.

Heres another update, making him look a little more like the current range. I really like the addition of chains, and he certainly needed some more wolf teeth. I also really like the image on the cover of the new SW codex with the Wolf Lord wearing what looks like a pair of besagews (circular plates covering the arm-pit). One would assume these are purely decorative, but i love the ancient look. Thats also where i got the idea of one being designed with a human skull and the other with a wolfs head.

gallery_49031_5065_139136.jpg

gallery_49031_5065_122922.jpg

On the right shoulder-pad, Ive taken off the plate below the symbol of the 'Blackmane' because i don't know why its there or what id put there. I also filled in the rune-like numbers from the top of the same shoulder-pad because i intend to give this guy the full free-hand treatment!

Thanks for looking, C&C welcome!

Cheers,

Replica

Is there anything you won't take on sir? You must have a serious amount of cash just lying around doing nothing, or a very highly paid job :Troops:. I wish you luck as you embark upon what promises to be another epic project, though judging by the last one you don't need luck at all :Troops:.

Consider this thread subscribed to, as I'm really liking the way this wolf is starting to shape up. A question though... do you have anything special planned for the 'blackmane' wolf head on his right shoulder?

James

Is there anything you won't take on sir? You must have a serious amount of cash just lying around doing nothing, or a very highly paid job :). I wish you luck as you embark upon what promises to be another epic project, though judging by the last one you don't need luck at all :D.

Consider this thread subscribed to, as I'm really liking the way this wolf is starting to shape up. A question though... do you have anything special planned for the 'blackmane' wolf head on his right shoulder?

James

Is there anything you won't take on sir? You must have a serious amount of cash just lying around doing nothing, or a very highly paid job :). I wish you luck as you embark upon what promises to be another epic project, though judging by the last one you don't need luck at all :D.

What would be really cool is if you could hack off the lump of rock that his torso is perched on and then sculpt the rest of his body, legs and arms...

James

Is there anything you won't take on sir? You must have a serious amount of cash just lying around doing nothing, or a very highly paid job smile.gif. I wish you luck as you embark upon what promises to be another epic project, though judging by the last one you don't need luck at all biggrin.gif.

What would be really cool is if you could hack off the lump of rock that his torso is perched on and then sculpt the rest of his body, legs and arms...

James

Nope, ill try anything that seems interesting and challenging! I go on eBay man, the forgeworld models ive got have cost me around 2/3rds what they cost from FW. Plus i figure since i dont really put together armies i can afford to spend the cost of a few squads on one big model!

I plan to do all sorts of viking runes and artwork all over the Armor, as well as a heavily weathered look and even some snow on the top. I intend to paint up the Blakmane symbol like dark stone, or perhaps onyx.

And id be lying if i hadn't thought about converting up the rest of the terminator....

Replica

Emperor's Scourge Posted Jul 5 2010, 11:29 AM

As I said in the other thread I really like what you've done with this bust.

Thanks mate! There's more work to do, but im hoping it comes out looking like a more contemporary Space Wolf.

Small, and largely uninteresting update time! All ive done is add a little texture to the besagews to give them a wood-grain effect, but its hard to see in photos. As i said i wanted these to look very old and purely decorative. I looked at the texture of woods on wharfs and older boats, as i think the armor of the Space Wolves, while kept in decent repair probably wouldn't be cleaned and polished as often as some of the other chapters...

Another small detail i added was some metal rings onto the left shoulder pad. This was a 'there's nothing on TV' decision, plus i figured the right pad was going to have a lot more free hand on it so it might even out the detail a little, so here's a pic (sorry its so dark!):

gallery_49031_5065_51262.jpg

He's just about ready to be undercoated, just need to file and sand some areas flush then paint time.

Thanks for looking,

Replica

Okay, time for another update!

I always get into the painting and then forget to take pictures! So here are a couple of pics of the grey, about half-way done. I want to lighten it slightly, then weather it back down with washes. I want to have a lot of oil streaks and moisture stains from constant exposure to adverse weather like wind, rain and of course, snow! I hope to end up with a tone about as dark as it is here, but a slightly dirtier look to it. I wanted the runes, and paint chips to cop the same weathering treatment so it looks like its truly part of the armor.

Anyway, enough typing!

gallery_49031_5065_94887.jpg

gallery_49031_5065_126214.jpg

C&C welcome!

Cheers,

Replica

He's looking better and better every time you post more photos. I'm glad to see another 'messy' painter as well :angry:.

I'd like see a photo of your display shelf too...

looking forward to your next update

thanks

James

Terminatorinhell Posted Yesterday, 04:11 PM

Oh man that is looking sweet! This might be the first space wolf mini that made my jaw drop! Are those inverted stormshields on his shoulders?

Cheers mate, and yep, good eye! Those are inverted storm shields. I wanted something like you can see on the codex cover, a rough crux-like shape and i was thinking of all these ways to do it until the storm shields caught my eye and ended up being the perfect size and shape!

SpeakerDad Posted Today, 02:46 AM

Wow, I don't post very often but I just have to comment.......this is amazing!!!

Looking forward to further updates / pics!

Thanks mate, you werent kidding about not posting much, thanks for the compliments! :D

KhornateKiller Posted Today, 05:30 AM

Looking great so far mate, I would love to a pic of your "top shelf" with all your pieces on would look fantastic biggrin.gif

Thanks KornateKiller, my top shelf is looking a little bare at the moment, but once this guy is done ill take a few snaps!

Pig Of Sparta Posted Today, 09:12 AM

He's looking better and better every time you post more photos. I'm glad to see another 'messy' painter as well smile.gif.

I'd like see a photo of your display shelf too...

looking forward to your next update

thanks

James

Thanks mate, shouldn't be too long before the next update, this guy is a lot of fun to do! Yeah i do have a pretty messy painting style, but i tend to do a lot of touch ups as i go, more so with he large scale stuff and vehicles as i tend to just go nuts with the tank brush!

Thanks for looking everyone, and a big thanks to those who commented, always appreciated! At the moment hes being weathered and im waiting for various washes to dry so the next update shouldn't be too far off!

Thanks

Replica

Quick update, got the 'yellow' shoulder pad done. When i think Space Wolves, i think earth tones, so this pad is actually Bubonic Brown, highlighted by adding bleached bone to the mix, and finally some skull white for the extreme highlights on the runes and paint chips. The Blackmane symbol is black, highlighted with codex gray, then with a little bleached bone for the finer points.

gallery_49031_5065_57504.jpg

Thanks for looking! C&C always welcome!

Thanks,

Replica

Here's a quick update, I really liked the brown tabard on the original model painted by forgeworld, reminded me of leather, perhaps treated wolf flesh. I thought about sculpting some fur on the other side but i liked the way it sat across the chest. Adding fur to it might make it look thicker and with the current ripples in the cloth i felt it would look a little strange so i left it. I added a rune stone to the chain. Thats about it, all thats really left now is the hard stuff, face and Crux!

gallery_49031_5065_126704.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Replica

Thanks for the kind words brothers!

Ive finished the skin tone now, took a lot of trial and error. One of the main things Ive tried to avoid at all costs with this model is people looking at it and thinking 'vampire'. It is because of this i made the skin tone a lot darker than i originally envisioned, but i am happy with the finished tone. Ive also seen a few of these guys painted up with yellow eyes, i assume to make them more were-wolf like, but it always reminds me of the end of the 'thriller' video...and its a little too close to vampire for what im going for, so i went with classic brown.

Because the right eye has some scarring above it i thought it would be cool to paint it up like 'Uncle Argyle' in Braveheart, Ive always thought he would make a sweet Space Wolf.

gallery_49031_5065_110760.jpg

I'm going to do his hair gray/white much like Argyle again....

C&C Welcome

Thanks,

Replica

Archived