International Brotherhood of Hobbyists

I'd say it is a FW brass etch (or how you spell it. looks wrong to me)

- Natanael

I thought so as well, but I'm not entirely positive either.

Announcement to the Brotherhood:

I've started my Imperial Guard WIP thread over on our own forums, link is in my signature at the very bottom. Not much to see yet, but hey, drop a comment, a suggestion, or an unexplainable threat to murder my family!

I definitely think it is the Brass Etch fellas. Looks like it to me http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-4000...NS-SYMBOLS.html

Normish, I'll make sure to check that out later tonight!

Hi guys,

This will be my first post in this thread since I joined the brotherhood and I figured it would be cool to have it as a homage to the guy who got me into converting my marines. Doghouse, yes indeed this man's gothic marines inspired me to pick up my hobby knife and hack at my marines to make them into something much cooler than your standard plastic kit. Ever since I saw his Gothic Marines tutorial I have had to try it, and over the years I was with little success, until recently, now I have something that I feel is worthy to present to this amazing thread!

Commander Adarkhurshid of the 3rd company.

http://i54.tinypic.com/1233zps.jpg

http://i52.tinypic.com/2hygvax.jpg

http://i54.tinypic.com/2i1e3jd.jpg

http://i51.tinypic.com/2rfacl4.jpg

The GS on the left leg will be sanded down and made into sharper lines.

First, I'd like to thank everyone who gave me tips on painting rust. Second, I present my test mini for my Marines Malevolent. I've learned a lot with this mini, and I've tried quite a few new techniques. I've also learned that skull white sucks as a base for yellow, lol. Ah well, learned my lesson for the next Malevolent, already picked up some darksun. Also, the base isn't done because I'm still deciding on what I want to do. Anywhooo, what do you guys think?

gallery_37532_5274_403763.jpg

gallery_37532_5274_495251.jpg

gallery_37532_5274_459020.jpg

Very nice stuff, fellas! I'm gonna try to finally get some pics up on my Space Wolves today, and I am painting/modelling for a tourney next weekend.

- Natanael

EDIT:

Any o you guys know a good kind of hobby knife? Mine just broke, and I cant remember were I got it, so might as well buy a new one that is good.

- Nat

Double post, but what the heck. I am working on 20 combi-plasmas for a Wolf Guard list (yes, I know it is a lot =D) and made seven so far today. I've already got three of a different design, but I figure not all of them look the same. The GS will be sanded down and made smooth before painting.

I hope this works out the way it should, with the pictures and all that :huh:

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb479/Oskar_Andersson/Space%20Wolves/CIMG3887.jpg

I also took some pic of my HQs for you guys:

Logan

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb479/Oskar_Andersson/Space%20Wolves/CIMG3900.jpg

Ragnar

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb479/Oskar_Andersson/Space%20Wolves/CIMG3898.jpg

Runepriest and Wolf Priest

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb479/Oskar_Andersson/Space%20Wolves/CIMG3899.jpg

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb479/Oskar_Andersson/Space%20Wolves/CIMG3896.jpg

- Natanael

Thanks for the comments, guys.

@Natanael: The Wolves are looking good, I really like Logan. Shouldn't he have grey hair though? Meh, I'm nitpicking, don't mind me, lol.

@Shorts: Hey, it was there, and I needed a prop. You know what they say "trample the weak, hurdle the dead." lol.

Master Chaplain Astador

On another note, first day of work at Best Buy. smile.gif Which means more miniature money!

Nice work mate, i work at a service station directly next to a pub - weekends are not fun! haha the things we do for our toy soldiers!

Terminatorinhell

Hi guys,

This will be my first post in this thread since I joined the brotherhood and I figured it would be cool to have it as a homage to the guy who got me into converting my marines. Doghouse, yes indeed this man's gothic marines inspired me to pick up my hobby knife and hack at my marines to make them into something much cooler than your standard plastic kit. Ever since I saw his Gothic Marines tutorial I have had to try it, and over the years I was with little success, until recently, now I have something that I feel is worthy to present to this amazing thread!

Looking good mate, looks huge! can you do a shot of him next to a tac marine for comparison? Love the plasma pistol!

1000heathens

First, I'd like to thank everyone who gave me tips on painting rust. Second, I present my test mini for my Marines Malevolent. I've learned a lot with this mini, and I've tried quite a few new techniques. I've also learned that skull white sucks as a base for yellow, lol. Ah well, learned my lesson for the next Malevolent, already picked up some darksun. Also, the base isn't done because I'm still deciding on what I want to do. Anywhooo, what do you guys think?

Wow dude, looking fantastic! You dont see many Marines Malevolent, love the rust and battle damage. I agree on the 'white sucks' thing, i undercoat everything black no matter what colour i want it, even white! For the base, id recommend something dark and urban to off set the yellow and it gives you the chance to add some more hazard striping to the bases which i personally love seeing on MM.

Natanael

Any o you guys know a good kind of hobby knife? Mine just broke, and I cant remember were I got it, so might as well buy a new one that is good.

- Nat

I just use and exacto knife, but before that i used nothing but a stanely knife, and needle files.

Your wolves look cool, love seeing the old school shoulder pads on termies! One criticism i have is that ragnar looks like hes jumping over something much smaller than he actually is, I love his chainsword though, looks brutal!

Thanks,

Replica

Right. I'll have a look at our hobby-shop and see what they got. Maybe they can give me some tips.

Thanks for the comments about my wolves, btw. Replica: You mean I should reposition the legs to get a better "jump"? I like to look at it more as he was runnning towards the enemy and made a "parkour"-step on the jump pack, shooiting someone in the head, and then charging on. But hey, I'll see what I can do ;)

Oh, i forgot: 1000heathens: I think of it as a "young" Logan. And since I cant paint white hair, he got this =D

- Nat

hey folks,

How is evryone ? Sorry not been on in a while, Not painted anything since my last update :(

Good reason though, Went into PC world on SUbady gone to "look" @ a new laptop ended up coming away with a

ACER ASPIRE Z5610 2.93 ghz dual core with 4GB ram so got DOW2 so been abussing that really.

Then on Friday got force unleashed 2 delivered for the xbox completed it on Saturday after about 4-5 hours on normal difficulty, So ticked off should take longer than that !!!!!

Anyway hope all is well going pick up the brush again soon and get cracking :tu:

Andy

Natanael

Thanks for the comments about my wolves, btw. Replica: You mean I should reposition the legs to get a better "jump"? I like to look at it more as he was runnning towards the enemy and made a "parkour"-step on the jump pack, shooiting someone in the head, and then charging on. But hey, I'll see what I can do msn-wink.gif

Yeah, i reckon you could even use the legs hes got, just angle him forward, so he isnt pointed upright, even just moving the foot touching the jump-pack down the side of it and lifting the pistol arm and the head you could get a good effect. Its cool, just looks a little too casual, but if thats what you were going for you've nailed it :) Your guys have inspired me to do a wolf next i think!

KhornateKiller

hey folks,

How is evryone ? Sorry not been on in a while, Not painted anything since my last update :(

Good reason though, Went into PC world on SUbady gone to "look" @ a new laptop ended up coming away with a

ACER ASPIRE Z5610 2.93 ghz dual core with 4GB ram so got DOW2 so been abussing that really.

Then on Friday got force unleashed 2 delivered for the xbox completed it on Saturday after about 4-5 hours on normal difficulty, So ticked off should take longer than that !!!!!

Anyway hope all is well going pick up the brush again soon and get cracking :tu:

Andy

Man DoW2 is amazing, heaps of re-playability, i must have done the campaign 3 or 4 times and then spent countless hours online. Not anymore though, with my new internet connection i only get 6Gb a month, which is useless for anything except browsing.

I was gonna pick up Force Unleashed, but if its so short i might grab New Vegas first.

Here's an update on the Blood Angel. At this point i hate the sword, and was sure to leave it off when i varnished the rest of the model because i am going to come back to it later. Perhaps after some practice with SENMM and NMM i will be able to get the desired effect. Ive ordered a number (30) of plastic practice swords to paint up so hopefully i can get some decent results soon. But apart from the sword im fairly happy with how its turned out. As always, no transfers.

gallery_49031_5367_67117.jpg

All C&C welcome, thanks brothers!

Replica

@ The Normish: Natanael and Shorts are correct, I used a brass etch from a FW pack that I bought to detail my Ultramarines Venerable Dreadnought (who incidentally, I did a little wor on earlier so he's moving closer to being undercoated). They are a bit of a pain to use sometimes as they're so fiddly, but they are really good for adding detail.

@ Xavier Targhost: thanks mate, I'm thinking Imperial Fists for the Assault marine, just need to get some Iyanden Darksun for him though as my usual method for yellow (Bronzed Flesh followed by Golden Yellow shaded with green) doesn't work well over large areas due to the amount of layers it needs to have for smoothness. I'm also really looking forward to painting the EC librarian. Don't worry he won't be blue (I think the 'Blue' thing is from the Codex Astartes, so as that hasn't been written yet in this guys timeline, we're ok :tu:)

@ Replica: Sorry about the chrome idea. I've only briefly loooked at the earth/sky painting method before so I didn't realise it's be like that....

I'm thinking that writing a bio for this Librarian might be easier if it was done in a sort of 'timeline' fashion rather than a full narrative. That way we can just concentrate on the interesting parts of his 'career'. I've been thinking about how he'd fit into the Emperor's Children legion and I figure that since Fulgrim was pushing for perfection he would recognise humanity's need to fulfil it's psychic pontential. Recognise, but not perhaps embrace. So maybe he sent a few of his Astartes who had exhibited pyshic tendancies to train alongside Magnus' legion (little realising the manner in which they obtain their power.) That could be sort of the second or third timeline event in the Libby's bio, with him then returning to his legion just after/before the Cleansing of Laeran... I also like the idea of him working alongside Fabius Bile at some point, perhaps during the Heresy to 'enhance' the fallen EC marines, what do you think?

Any ideas how you might represent him in his 40k incarnation that we can make his fluff play to?

The BA terminator looks great, although I can't quite get past my rage against Culln's mini being in an 'almost as bad as a tactical marine' squatting position. I wish FW would make more mini's like Huron, Zhufor, Loth and Corvidae. Their poses look good, while the one on this mini just looks a bit strange, although you've compensated by making his pose work for you :).

@ 1000heathens: reply about your mini left in the dedicated thread :(.

@ Terminatorinhell: I really like the pose on that gothic marine, and is that an old school power sword I see there (from back when you had to cut the grips off of everything)? Looking forward to seeing how this guys shapes up as you do more work on him.

@ Natanael: Nice wolves, I particularly like the Rune Priest, he's definately got a Warrior Mystic look to him and Ragnar's pretty cool too, you really seem to have captured the elements from his really dated metal form and distilled them into how he should look very nicely :). The combi-weapons are shaping up nicely as well.

@ Captain Mick: waiting for stuff to dry really sucks, I feel your pain/boredom. I usually try to get stuff undercoated during the day so that when the kids go to be it's ready to paint ;). Looking forward to seeing the next lot of pics though....

As for me, well it finally stopped blowing a gail and pouring rain last night, so I managed to get a few things undercoated today; the assault marine and EC librarian, a Death Korp of Krieg guardsman (who'll be up on our Forum when I get some pics of him) and the test mini for my Cleanse and Burn project (I'm gonna do some work on him tonight so photos will be up later on). The test mini was undercoated with Army Painter's Pure Red coloured undercoat and I've got to say, I'm really liking how easy to use it is and how good it looks on the mini.

Thanks

James

@ Replica: Sorry about the chrome idea. I've only briefly loooked at the earth/sky painting method before so I didn't realise it's be like that....

I'm thinking that writing a bio for this Librarian might be easier if it was done in a sort of 'timeline' fashion rather than a full narrative. That way we can just concentrate on the interesting parts of his 'career'. I've been thinking about how he'd fit into the Emperor's Children legion and I figure that since Fulgrim was pushing for perfection he would recognise humanity's need to fulfil it's psychic pontential. Recognise, but not perhaps embrace. So maybe he sent a few of his Astartes who had exhibited pyshic tendancies to train alongside Magnus' legion (little realising the manner in which they obtain their power.) That could be sort of the second or third timeline event in the Libby's bio, with him then returning to his legion just after/before the Cleansing of Laeran... I also like the idea of him working alongside Fabius Bile at some point, perhaps during the Heresy to 'enhance' the fallen EC marines, what do you think?

Any ideas how you might represent him in his 40k incarnation that we can make his fluff play to?

The BA terminator looks great, although I can't quite get past my rage against Culln's mini being in an 'almost as bad as a tactical marine' squatting position. I wish FW would make more mini's like Huron, Zhufor, Loth and Corvidae. Their poses look good, while the one on this mini just looks a bit strange, although you've compensated by making his pose work for you :).

Regarding the BA: Yeah, i agree, Cullin's pose is woeful. I can see what they are trying to do, making a Terminator more dynamic, but he looks just silly (especially from behind). I like the ides of chrome, but it seems to be a fickle technique, but i will crack it! just need some practice. Also, i do have a certain Shadow Captain in the mail ;)

About the EC: I agree with the time-line style, no point adding unnecessary detail and ending up with a novel and a couple of half painted minis! I like your ideas so far, I can certainly see in the beginning, while the Emperor was still seen by them to be the pinnacle of humanity that they would look into unlocking psychic powers. With the model itself, i was thinking it would be cool to do him up in the same pose, and keeping some of the same details, but obviously notable warped by chaos. I was gonna keep the mutations to a minimum so that he can be recognized as the same character, but that could fit into the bio with perhaps having him either fiding a way to slow the mutation process (perhaps with Fabius's guidance) or perhaps striking a deal with slaanesh himself, keeping him immune as long as he fills a quota of Astartes souls (perhaps even specifically loyal librarian souls?)

im making this up as i write, but if you dig any of this let me know, or if ive gotten anything wrong also let me know! same with anyone else :devil:

Thanks

Replica

or perhaps striking a deal with slaanesh himself, keeping him immune as long as he fills a quota of Astartes souls (perhaps even specifically loyal librarian souls?)

I really like this. That way, you could keep the open tome that he has on his backpack, and that could be his list of souls type thing....

or perhaps striking a deal with slaanesh himself, keeping him immune as long as he fills a quota of Astartes souls (perhaps even specifically loyal librarian souls?)

I really like this. That way, you could keep the open tome that he has on his backpack, and that could be his list of souls type thing....

good call, perhaps its a list of Space Marines with psychic talents useful to Slaanesh, librarians or even marines who dont even know themselves they have talents

good call, perhaps its a list of Space Marines with psychic talents useful to Slaanesh, librarians or even marines who dont even know themselves they have talents

I was thinking of using the same model for a Word Bearer Apostle with the book his Prayers of Chaos. The whole 'Slaaneshi-quota' idea is a good one.

Skirax

I was thinking of using the same model for a Word Bearer Apostle with the book his Prayers of Chaos. The whole 'Slaaneshi-quota' idea is a good one.

Thanks mate, hope you do make him up into a WB, would love to see pics, its such a great model

There'll always be room for one more Brother Cambrius :). I'll get your name up shortly, but in the mean time Welcome Aboard!

James

My thanks Pig Of Sparta. I'm currently beavering away on adding my 6th member of my custom sternguard squad and am hoping I can basecoat him soon when the weather clears:

gallery_26154_4148_2158518.jpg

gallery_26154_4148_3670109.jpg

gallery_26154_4148_1996977.jpg

Opinions gentlemen? Do you think he looks Sternguary enough?

Cambrius

Archived