Battle Brother Andreus' Escalation League Army

Andreus

At my local game store, we wanted to get a few new players into the game. With very mild interest, myself and another veteran of playing Warhammer 40,000 asked if we could join. Our shop owner said we could as long as we start a fresh army. Coming from playing Eldar and Imperial Guard, I thought I would jump on the band wagon and play Space Marines.

There was a bit of dispute with the rules, but after convincing the shop owner to actually let us take named Characters, the rules are as follows.

1) No Named Characters [Not anymore]

2) Each list must contain the previous list in it.

2.5) Upgrades and Downgrades are allowed.

3) Must be fully painted before the deadline

3.5) This includes basing.

4) WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!

5) Have fun!

After talking with other Space Marine players on various forums and at other game shops, I had different opinions on what my lists should consist of.

At 750, my list is as follows:

HQ

Chaplain

No upgrades

Elites

Terminator Assault Squad

Lightning Claws

Dreadnought

No upgrades

Troops

Tactical Squad

No upgrades

Razorback

No upgrades

Tactical Squad

No upgrades

Heavy Support

Vindicator

No upgrades

It seems a bit sketchy, but I am liking the fact that 2+/5++ is very hard to crack at this low of a level.

Now, I come to you Bolter and Chainsword, is this list too over powered at 750, should I take stuff away or leave it?

Plus, a color scheme/Chapter Ideas would be welcome!

Andreus

Looks like a good list, I'd stick with it. As far as Chapter, id suggest a codex chapter and not bother with Chapters with their own codices if you're not going to take those chapters exclusive squads.

Personally, in smaller battle like 500pt and 750pt i preferred Devistator squads to ordinance as i found after the first turn there isnt many clumps of unengaged infantry or vehicles a lascannon couldn't handle. But that's just personal preference, and i haven't gamed in a fair while! <_<

Replica

Hello eggs, meet basket!

But yea, thunder hammer + storm shield will change your terminators from a gamble to nigh-indestructible with 2+/3++.

Also, dreadnoughts without drop pod or weapon upgrades will turn out to be pretty useless, it will never see combat trying to walk across the field and the multi-melta will probably never fire. If nothing else, moving some points around to take a single rifleman dreadnought (two twin-linked autocannons) will give you a versatile unit that can deal with pesky bike or mechanized armies you will run into early on.

Personally, in smaller battle like 500pt and 750pt i preferred Devistator squads to ordinance as i found after the first turn there isnt many clumps of unengaged infantry or vehicles a lascannon couldn't handle. But that's just personal preference, and i haven't gamed in a fair while! <_<

Yea, I mean devastators are really cost effective ways to bring hw onto the field. The issue is I don't think they're ever worth it at higher points values because they'll either die or basically cover a single lane of fire and stand still hoping for a target. There's too many ways to bring cheap, mobile HW onto the field once you have a few more points to throw around in my opinion. With this type of league you'd run into the problem of having dead points eventually I'd think, and a heavy slot at that.

Alrighty Brothers

I have finally decided on my 750 list, thank the Emperor that I only had to show Eleven Basic Models so I wasn't dinged on points this week.

The list is as follows:

HQ

Chaplain

Terminator Armour

Elites

Assault Terminators

Lightning Claws

Troops

Tactical Squad

Razorback

Tactical Squad

10 strong

Missile Launcher

Heavy Support

Vindicator

It comes out at 745, but it nets me what I wanted to put on the table at the time.

I decided on making Desert Lions

During the campaign to retake Isstvan V, the detachment of the Desert Lions was accompanied by an attached cohort of Legio Cybernetica robots. The chapter's attack on the planet's defence forts was preceded by the cohort, which had been programmed to advance on the defences in an apparently mindless fashion. Easily destroyed by the defenders, they succeeded in mapping out the defenders' fire-plans and blind spots. When the Desert Lions launched their attack only seven Marines were lost. All surviving robots of the cohort were inducted into the chapter as honorary members as a mark of respect.

Now, the only thing is, finding the color scheme for them.

Does the Tactical Squad have a flamer in it as well? Because its a free upgrade and it shows off one of the more common non bolt based weapons.

Otherwise the list looks pretty cool. Good luck finding a scheme for Desert Lions though.

Archived