Solidus' Legion Dives Into the Hulk

Like most of us on the B&C, I picked up a copy of the Space Hulk re-release. Also, like most of us with plans to do something more than just put them together, I've procrastinated for the past year on actually getting them converted and painted. Well, the muses have brained me with a Louisville Slugger and I've started the task of getting my Terminators working for Solidus' Legion. In this thread I'll go through each of the Marines I'm converting and elucidate on which are more or less of a pain to work with. After that, I'll be putting my new Astartes on display for the sake of the B&C. Be wary, though, this thread seems to be suffering from Broodlord infestation, and may come under attack.

PART I - Blood and Agony

As anyone who has done what I am doing at the moment will tell you, the hardest part of working with the Terminators within this beautiful set is de-Blood Angel-ing them. What this means is eliminating the Blood Angels specific iconography without butchering the rest of the model. In some cases, this is as easy as a snip and trim...in other cases it takes some serious logistics...and in others it's just not possible without the use of Green Stuff and a saw. Let's go through this case by case. I'll be using the names on the back of the Mission Book for ease of reference to the individual model.

BROTHER VALENCIO

In most part, Valencio is the easier to convert to a 'vanilla' sense. Val has 7 icons, two on each hip plate, one on the chest rope, one on the powerfist, one on the right shoulder icon, one on the chest under the ropes, and one on the tip of the left shoulder. The only difficult one to remove is the right shoulder icon. It's deep set into the mould of the model, and removing it without damaging the wing (if you wish to keep it) is difficult. I circumvented it by being as rough with it as I liked, but by also carving some claw marks into the rest of the pad, to make it appear like my slop-sculpture was actually battle damage.

BROTHER GORIEL

Goriel also has 7 icons. One on the right shin, two on each hip plate, two on either side of the left shoulder pad, one on the rectangular casing on either side of the skull, and one on the right shoulder pad. Fortunately, removing Goriel's marks are simple, and are almost completely natural looking after the fact. With the correct shaving and cutting, the shoulder pad and shin icons come off with the final product looking like they were never there.

BROTHER DEINO

Deino has 7 icons. One within the laurels on his right shin, one on the wrist of his power fist, one on the laurels on the back of the fist, one on the bolt shell hanging from his waist, two on either side of the left shoulder pad, and one on the right shoulder pad laurel. Laurels, laurels, everywhere, and not a drop to leave... the only difficult one to work with is the shin-mounted one.

BROTHER OMNIO

Omnio has 4 icons. One at his stomach, two on either side of the left shoulder pad, and one on his storm bolter. This is the first of the brothers that takes any real work. The stomach icon is a pain to recreate, but if you know what you're doing you can make it into a general Aquila without difficulty. I'd also like to point out how much this model screams 'customize me'.

BROTHER LEON

Leon has 10 icons...yeesh. He has two on each of the disc-like trophies, one on his stomach, one hanging from his neck, two on either side of his left shoulder pad, one on his right pad, one on his right hip plate, one hanging from his assault cannon, and one on the bottom of his right leg. The sneaky one is the one on his leg...I was about to prime him when the sunlight caught it. Be careful when removing the icons from the disks, as there is the tendency to go too strongly with it and end up shaving the disks so that they have a flat bottom.

BROTHER NOCTIS

Noctis has 13 icons. Two on each hip plate, two on either side of the left shoulder pad, one on the right shoulder pad, one on the rectangular area on the back, one on the storm bolter, one on the right wrist plate, one on the rump, one near the powerfist thumb, another on the back of the fist, and two on the inside of the lower right leg on either side.

BROTHER SCIPIO

Scipio has only 6. One on his belt, two on either side of the left shoulder pad, one under the skull on the right shoulder pad, one on his right wrist, and one on his right fist. Use a delicate touch when removing the right hand icons to not damage the delicate rivets.

LEXICANIUM CALISTARIUS

The good Librarian has 3*. One is at his gut plate, one is atop his banner pole, and one is on the top of his back. The asterisk is there to denote that I cannot remember how many he actually has...the model has already been primed as of this writing, and there were no toolmarks to use, sadly. The gut plate, while a nightmare on Omnio actually shaves off rather well, and looks like any other piece of ceramite.

Brothers Claudio, Lorenzo, Gideon, and Zael are regrettably not joining the ranks of my Chapter. It is through no act of theft of destruction, but rather the fact that I simply lack the skill personally to convert these models to Vanilla, although I have seen many others who do.

Well, that does it for part one. I hope you guys like it. I'm having my internet connection boosted on July 7th, so hopefully that will allow me to get some pictures of my progress up soon. As it stands as of this writing:

6 Terminators Converted

2 Primed

0 Painted

1 Mysterious Blip...

• 2 weeks later...

PART II - Ghosts of the Future

Alright, so it's more like nearly a week instead of the same day as my internet has been upgraded, but who's counting? I've thusfar primed all 8 models, and have put paint to the Librarian, who regrettably was suffering from camera shyness at this moment. The others weren't as bashful, although to say that I've put no paint to them would be incorrect. What I've done is given them a drybrush of Astro Grey as is my usual custom with my Astartes. This gives their armor a faded look I call a 'ghostcoat'. In any case, I've also decided that their names are decidedly not in step with my typical fashion. If you're too lazy to read up on every facet of my Chapter I've posted (which you would have done if you were a good person inside who likes puppies...) then you should know that not only do I name every model I paint, but that they also have a theme. That theme is that they are either taken directly from or are inspired by the names similar to Chaos Dwarves, my favorite WFB army of yesteryear. With that in mind, may I present:

Brother Zhahak

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/8595/dscf0281v.th.jpg

Brother Yurzkul

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/7458/dscf0280.th.jpg

Brother Alhazar

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/6836/dscf0279h.th.jpg

Brother Ulkruhr

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/1060/dscf0278o.th.jpg

Brother Sakrajh

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/8607/dscf0275c.th.jpg

Brother Nelkraad

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/262/dscf0274y.th.jpg

Brother Jakhaya

http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/3056/dscf0273f.th.jpg

Now, a few of them have adjustments made to them other than the removal of the BA iconography. Yurzkul has an extra set of sensors placed on his back, made out of the unused visors from a Scout kit. Zhahak and Jakhaya have what is arguably my favorite thing in the entire 40k universe: power brass knuckles. They're devilishly easy to make: just take the 'halo' from the banner kits that most of us never use, cut them off the pole (which has a nifty skull inside it...collect all 3!) and maneuver them onto the power or chainfist of your choosing, although it's a bit more intimidating on powerfists. And before you say it, yes, it would have gone better on Alhazar, but oh well. Enjoy.

Liking the look of these so far. You're right, the 'ghosty' look does work really well. The brass knuckles are a nice personal touch as well. I'll be keeping an eye on where you go with these as I'm just embarking on my own conversion of a Space Hulk termie :woot:

cheers

James

Hey Solid,

Great project you have undertaken. I myself have some Space Hulk termies in need of vanillafication, so I will be watching with joy.

Regarding removal of the blood drops, what did you do specifically to the blood dropped gems hanging in ropes or chains (i.e. not part of the decoration of the armour itself)?

Did you leave them on?

Sincerely,

Painkiller

• 4 months later...
Sorry for the late reply PK, and I also apologize in general as I don't have any updates...yet. For the things hanging on ropes and chains, I either replaced them with generic stuff like the little cruxes that came with the Command Squad kit, or I removed the chain completely and carved it so that the removal wasn't visible.

Archived