Lost in translation

Dear brothers,

I was asking myself on how to deal with a rule which were translated wrong.

I am afraid I cant name some of them just now, but there are definitely a few which have a completely different meaning in german than they have in the original english text.

How do you deal with those kind of missmatches? I tend to stick to the english rule, since those reflect, what the developers had in mind.

Regards

Tony

We usually stick to the translation, since that is the version 99% of the players have available.

Truth is that if it is an abroad event (such as ETC for WHF), we turn to English versions, since that is probably the "international" Standard and common ground.

However, Translation+FAQ I'd say solve all the issues...I've never found a different text between English and Spanish.

The only time was vs IG and some psych test... and he wanted to use inches instead of cms... which is fine with me, as long as we play EVERYTHING in inches or in cms... very bad sport he was, as he kep "forgetting" and mixing hahaha.

If you do not have the english rulebooks at hand (perhaps at home or whatever) so the opponent cannot check for himself, then I would stick with the translated version, unless you know the opponent well and he can check later. If you have the english rulebooks available (perhaps the store has an english rulebook), then I would go with the original text. Sticking with what all the players know is fine, but when you have the original text and everyone knows that the translation is faulty then there is no reason not to go with the original.

Archived