Moonfang

swooshfinn

So I am reading through my C:SM and I am a bit perplexed at the entry for Moonfang. The way its worded, it seems as if the Moonfang is a relic weapon, not just a standard power weapon. Here's the entry just in case you have forgot or don't have a Codex handy:

"This ancient power sword is a relic of the White Scars Chapter..."

The guy I normally play against just says its a power weapon, but if you read the entry for relic weapons in the same Codex it states:

"Relic blades are two-handed swords or axes sheathed in an armour-sundering power field. Most have their origins in the dark day of the Horus Heresy, although some have been crafted in the long centuries since, in commemoration of other momentous events."

In further evidence, I would like to point out that the Kahn model that is not on a bike, is actually weilding a two-handed sword that is being held over his head in a power strike pose.

I might be wrong, but I think the evidence clearly points to the fact that the Moonfang is actually a relic weapon, not just a power weapon.

I'd say that if the codex does not consider it a relic weapon (in its description, as in crafter armours and such), then its "only" a power weapon... because I'm assuming it DOES say it is a power weapon in the weapon description ... because if it doesn't say that either, then its just a normal close combat weapon :huh:

I'll have a look tonight just for curiosity.

without the codex to refer to, i'm afraid i'd read it as a power weapon from your quote.

"This power weapon......"

rather than:

"This relic blade..."

Power weapon is a class of weapon,as is relic blade. as it says power weapon in the description, i'd say that's what it is.

Power Swords are powerweapons, generally speaking. This is exactly what Moonfang is.

However, if you seriously try to call it a relic blade expect to have it act as a normal close combat weapon- because the rules for power weapons never mention "power swords", and Moonfang never says in and of itself that it ignores armor saves.

Take the power weapon ability and get on with your game.

Its a minor misunderstanding.. just becuase something is described as a relic weapon doesnt mean its a relic blade in the rules sense.

There are no rules for relic weapons only relic blades by RAW

Getting into semantics on something like this can get sticky. If it were to count as a Relic Blade then it would have said so instead of calling it a power sword.

Getting into semantics on something like this can get sticky. If it were to count as a Relic Blade then it would have said so instead of calling it a power sword.

:) I believe thats what i was saying?? maybe i should have been clearer.

It describes the weapon as ancient relic, NOT a relic blade.

heres a quote from the codex:

Moonfang: This is an ancient power sword and relic of the white scars chapter... snip

there can be no mistaking what this weapon is, it is a power sword

Archived