DH I: Lords and henchmen

i have a Army list, post in two forums, and two different users, offered the same input. cut and dry, they both claimed that DH I:LOrd HAD to take at least 3 henchmen... so what's up? did i miss a release or an errant update?? here are both of the inputs, cut and pasted.. ...

QUOTE (Chengar Qordath @ Jul 7 2010, 08:57 PM) *

Your Inquisitor Lord has to have a retinue. Also, DH Inquisitor Lords are generally subpar when built for close combat; they have an IG-equivalent statlne and have to pay SM costs for their cc wargear, and they do not have good cc options for their retinues. DH Inquisitors work better at shooting; mystics, heavy weapon servitors, sages, and the ability to take a psycannon on the Inquisitor all help this. If you really want a cc inquisitor, use a WH one; their cc wargear is better, and they get better cc hechmen.

this was brought up as well in the codex army list where i post this list as well, and i asked there, what i'm pasting here:

QUOTE (deathsoul @ Jul 7 2010, 07:25 AM) *

Don't forget the I lord needs at least 3 henchmen

uh... can you site a source for that?

because, as i under stand this....

"Independent Character: unless accompanied by his retinue (see below) the inquistor lord is an independent character and follows all of the rules for characters in the War hammer 40,000 rulebook. if the retinue is destroyed he becomes an independent char and is free to join other units." page 22 of the DH codex 2003 (which i own... by the way)

He does nOt require to my knowledge and RAW, Please site the source of your knowledge or the bases that your working from.

--------------------

so, now i'm asking ya of Super BRb Knowledge and tenor... oh wow, may i have a I:lord w/o the silly flying skulls?

i have a Army list, post in two forums, and two different users, offered the same input. cut and dry, they both claimed that DH I:LOrd HAD to take at least 3 henchmen... so what's up? did i miss a release or an errant update?? here are both of the inputs, cut and pasted.. ...

QUOTE (Chengar Qordath @ Jul 7 2010, 08:57 PM) *

Your Inquisitor Lord has to have a retinue. Also, DH Inquisitor Lords are generally subpar when built for close combat; they have an IG-equivalent statlne and have to pay SM costs for their cc wargear, and they do not have good cc options for their retinues. DH Inquisitors work better at shooting; mystics, heavy weapon servitors, sages, and the ability to take a psycannon on the Inquisitor all help this. If you really want a cc inquisitor, use a WH one; their cc wargear is better, and they get better cc hechmen.

this was brought up as well in the codex army list where i post this list as well, and i asked there, what i'm pasting here:

QUOTE (deathsoul @ Jul 7 2010, 07:25 AM) *

Don't forget the I lord needs at least 3 henchmen

uh... can you site a source for that?

because, as i under stand this....

"Independent Character: unless accompanied by his retinue (see below) the inquistor lord is an independent character and follows all of the rules for characters in the War hammer 40,000 rulebook. if the retinue is destroyed he becomes an independent char and is free to join other units." page 22 of the DH codex 2003 (which i own... by the way)

He does nOt require to my knowledge and RAW, Please site the source of your knowledge or the bases that your working from.

--------------------

so, now i'm asking ya of Super BRb Knowledge and tenor... oh wow, may i have a I:lord w/o the silly flying skulls?

I don't have the book handy, but doesn't it state somewhere that inquisitors may have 0-6 henchmen and lords 3-12? This could of course mean that if the lord decides to buy henchmen, he has to use at least three...

Retinue: The Inquisitor Lord MUST be accompanied by a retinue of henchmen as detailed below. ...

Number/squad: 3-12 henchmen.

P22 C:DH (don't know what page it is on the pdf as I have the book, so why would I bother with it. It is not "the latest version" according to GW and in any case, no such condition exists in the local gaming environment.)

Pretty much cut and dried. =I= Lord MUST take a retinue of a minimum 3 henchfolk.

Elite slot inquisitors can have a retinue of 0 models (i.e. don't need to take any).

The fourth pdf page (that is, excluding the frontpage, pg. 3), under Inquisitorial Henchmen. Third paragraph, first sentence.

[...] whereas an Inquisitor Lord must take a retinue of between 3 and 12 (henchmen).

Chrome dog has it right, pg 22 of the printed dex right under options it says you must take a retinue, or its page 12 of the PDF, which is the one you should be using

It has been stated int he What's New Today blog on GW's site that the PDF versions do NOT override the printed versions, so the OP is free to use his paper copy as he/she wishes.

rETINUE: tHE INQUISITOR LORD MUST BE ACCOMPARIED BY A RETINUE OF HENCHMEN AS DETAILED BELOW. IFTHE INQUISITOR HAS A RETINUE THEN HE AND THE RETINUE ARE TREATED AS A SINGLE UNIT DURING THE BATTLE." PG 22 OF THE 2003 Dh CODEX

"iNDEPENDENT cHARACTER: UNLESS ACCOMPANIED BY THE RETINUE (SEE BELOW) THE INQUISITOR LORD IS AN INDEPENDENT CHARACTER AND FOLLOWS ALL OF THE RULES FOR CHARACTERS IN THE wAR HAMMER 40,000 RULE BOOK" PG 22 OF THE 2003 dH CODEX

i see, the both the words, "must" and "If" and "unless accompanied" so RAW is 2/3 towards, players choice, IMO

:D

[... IFTHE INQUISITOR HAS A RETINUE THEN HE AND THE RETINUE ARE TREATED AS A SINGLE UNIT DURING THE BATTLE." PG 22 OF THE 2003 Dh CODEX [...]

i see, the both the words, "must" and "If" and "unless accompanied" so RAW is 2/3 towards, players choice, IMO

:)

Well of course the retinue could be killed off - hence the "if" and "unless accompanied" you quoted. In that situation where he is alone once more, he reverts to an IC who can join units as any other lone IC can.

It's quite clear to me.

Oh and can you not post in caps. It's hard to read and in netiquette terms is the equivalent of shouting.

Cheers

I

"iNDEPENDENT cHARACTER: UNLESS ACCOMPANIED BY THE RETINUE (SEE BELOW) THE INQUISITOR LORD IS AN INDEPENDENT CHARACTER AND FOLLOWS ALL OF THE RULES FOR CHARACTERS IN THE wAR HAMMER 40,000 RULE BOOK" PG 22 OF THE 2003 dH CODEX

continuing the quote on page 22 under Independant Character heading: "If the retinue is destroyed he becomes an independant character and is free to join other units"

Also to note on page 24, the elite inquisitor independant character the ruling is different: "If the retinue is destroyed he becomes an independant character again and is free to join other units"

To quote page 13: "An Inquisitor may take up to six henchmen, whereas an Inquisitor Lord must take a retinue of between 3 and 12"

All quotes taken from Codex Daemonhunters, copywrite 2002

rETINUE: tHE INQUISITOR LORD MUST BE ACCOMPARIED BY A RETINUE OF HENCHMEN AS DETAILED BELOW. IFTHE INQUISITOR HAS A RETINUE THEN HE AND THE RETINUE ARE TREATED AS A SINGLE UNIT DURING THE BATTLE." PG 22 OF THE 2003 Dh CODEX

:cuss

Perhaps you miss reading part of the entry for the Inquisitor Lord. To paraphrase:

Number/Squad: 1

Options: Blah blah wargear entries

Retinue: The Inquisitor Lord MUST (my emphasis) be accompanied by a retinue of Henchmen as detailed below.

Inquisitor Retinue

Number/Squad: 3-12 Henchmen for an Inquisitor Lord, 0-6 for an Inquisitor.

So if you are using the Lord/HQ version, you have to have at least 3 henchmen as a retinue. The rules regarding ICs apply IF the required retinue die.

Hope that helps!

rETINUE:

:cuss

Perhaps you miss reading part of the entry for the Inquisitor Lord. To paraphrase:

Retinue: The Inquisitor Lord MUST (my emphasis) be accompanied by a retinue of Henchmen as detailed below.

Inquisitor Retinue

So if you are using the Lord/HQ version, you have to have at least 3 henchmen as a retinue. The rules regarding ICs apply IF the required retinue die.

Hope that helps!

SEems Off to me, and never noticed or saw that, or had other ppl complain... i guess no king/baron would step out of the castle, without his lackeys

Still seems way off... IMO< :cuss

rETINUE:

:RTBBB:

Inquisitor Retinue

Hope that helps!

SEems Off to me, and never noticed or saw that, or had other ppl complain... i guess no king/baron would step out of the castle, without his lackeys

Still seems way off... IMO< :drool:

I'd have to say you'd be in the minority for feeling that way. The biggest problem for =][= players is finding a way to make those 3 henchmen work in a way that makes the most of the points. That said there are a number of 'given' builds that are well known and well used, even if they still aren't as effective as other available HQ's.

I'd suggest a cruise by the OI forum to get an idea as to what is good and what isn't, INP is a particulalrly good source of info when it comes to Inquisitor loadouts and, although I personally struggle to make =][= lords worth their points (apart from =][= Lord Karamazov that is) there are those who can make them work.

well thanks to all for the imput... i'm good with it... just upset with myself cause i didnt pick up on that for years.. as for running an I:lord... i dont know now.. if i would give up an elite slot, for it, with what i'm i'm trying to do.. ah, something new to ponder... while goofing off at work/school/life

1st thought would be to ally a Lord+x2 mysitcs(sp)+servoskull and an elite I also w/ x2 mystics, and have them both run inside of one Land raider redeemer, and a Land raider Crusader w/MM and Chronus(sp) for anti horde and dual blast them DEep striking units...and then build around that, maybe a bike capt, and 4 bike troop squads...idk...

thanks again for the input and correction.

Still seems way off... IMO< :cuss

I knew this because the Witchhunters have the same rules for the Inquisitors as the DH. The codex entries are exactly the same except for Hereticus being replaced by Malleus. I have a SoB army in addition to all my marines.

Good luck!

Archived