My new ironclad

Hey guys it's been awhile. So I was out on the town today and some money was burning a whole in my pocket so I decided to grab an ironclad dreadnought. I want to make a semi-fluffy semi-competitive lis and o thought of having this guy somewhere in my army.

I want to use him as a tarpit/distraction/nuisance type unit and I thought dccw, seismic, and two heavy flsmers would be worth a try. So... How would his layout play in ur guys lists or isnthis not a viable unit. Also I do own a drop pod, so I do have tha option available

I built mine with no heavy flamers at all. Mine will typically be marching downrange alongside a pair of VenDreads, so I just couldn't justify the extra points. Especially when replacing a meltagun! It's a little nutty to make me pay more points to replace an anti-tank/anti-bunker weapon on an anti-tank/anti-bunker unit with an anti-infantry weapon.

I tried to magnetize the underslung weapons, but found the Seismic Hammer threw a wrench in my gears in that regard. It's got a totally different moutning area than the rest of the arms, so placing the magnet there became a chore.

I run an Ironclad with DCCW seismic hammer, heavy flamer and meltagun, added to a drop pod he can be really useful as a tarpit, distraction unit or a threat to most vehicles

taking the drop pod gives you loads of options,

i'm going to buy another one soon for double the fun,

I play for fun not tournaments though so I would not say this is necessarily the best way to equip them.

Hey guys it's been awhile. So I was out on the town today and some money was burning a whole in my pocket so I decided to grab an ironclad dreadnought. I want to make a semi-fluffy semi-competitive lis and o thought of having this guy somewhere in my army.

I want to use him as a tarpit/distraction/nuisance type unit and I thought dccw, seismic, and two heavy flsmers would be worth a try. So... How would his layout play in ur guys lists or isnthis not a viable unit. Also I do own a drop pod, so I do have tha option available

Thats an excellent unit, if your group plays with much terrain, get him the frag assault launchers too.

Thats an excellent unit, if your group plays with much terrain, get him the frag assault launchers too.

Will do!

Incidentally I got a new seismic hammer and I converted my old AoBR dread into another ironclad, with hurricane bolter, seismic hammer/melta and 2 hk missiles. He's more for fun, but I think he's could have uses, maybe while footslogging while the other dreadnaught reeks havok from his drop pod.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an Ironclad in my list which I drop in generally either on the enemies flanks (When there's an enemy on the board that is) or near an objective of theirs either to contest or just to wreak a bit of havok while the rest of the army moves into their positions. MY local store usually plays a very tiny 1000 point game, so the front armour 13 is one HECK of a rough thing to deal with when there are so few heavy weapons.

Shadow

You should always be buying the Ironclad assault launchers. They function as both offensive AND defensive greandes! Got a Nob with a Powerklaw bearing down on you? He gets one less attack to break your AV13 with, since you're armed with defensive grenades. It's the best upgrade the Ironclad can get.

Is it true that if given a chainfist, it causes the ironclad to always strike last in CC?

If he chooses to use the rules for that weapon, then yes. As per normal with 2 different types of CCW you get to choose wich one you want to use. Thus, you may forgo the second penetration die to strike at I using the DCCW.

It's a little nutty to make me pay more points to replace an anti-tank/anti-bunker weapon on an anti-tank/anti-bunker unit with an anti-infantry weapon.

Depends if said Bunker has vision slots and a bunch of dudes with Multi-Melta inside it, I guess. The Heavy Flamer is for rooting out entrenched Infantry defenders.

I have an Ironclad (Canis Abi - latin for "Dog, Move", or as Ludacris would put it, "Move Bitch") with Seismic Hammer and DCCW. Two HKs, Meltagun, Heavy Flamer. And while I don't have any drop pods put together yet, I really enjoy footslogging it. My opponents are invariably far more scared of it than anything else I put down. Often with hilarious results. The psychological damage is outstanding, and people seem to devote all the wrong units to killing it...i.e. vehicles and assault troops, which in my local group are the Death Stars.

That said - I think the moment I DO have a drop pod, I'm up for some of that sweet action. Drop it on my opponent's fleet of Rhinos first turn, watch them cry. Mwahaha. :rolleyes:

If it drops their Initiative to 1 -- which by RAW it does though that makes no sense to me since it's a friggin DREADNOUGHT -- then I don't see why you would. It's better against AV, but if you get tied up by troops, they'll get their grenade attempts before you and killing those pesky power fists before they can hit you because exceedingly difficult (instead of just abnormally difficult).

Yeah, the chainfist is really only useful when facing Raiderspam or Battlewagonspam lists. The "best" way to field it is with an underslung meltagun, and the standard DCCW on the other arm. When armed this way, you can charge any target, and choose which arm to use for the attacks (rules for Dreads allow this, as opposed to standard non-Walker models armed with two special weapons). Attacking infantry? Use the DCCW to strike at I4 and S10. Attacking a vehicle? Use the chainfist to attack at I1, but S10+2d6AP. I1 won't matter, as non-Walker vehicles don't hit you back.

What I'd like to know is if anyone bothers with the Hurricane Bolters? Three or six twin-linked bolter shots just seem like a total waste on a machine like this.

Battlewagon is only AV14 on the front, which you won't be hitting with a Chainfist. Seems like LR or bunkers are the only real targets. I'd stick with DCCW myself.

I agree with you, Hurricane bolters are not that excting. Only reason to put them on there is to look cool (and even that is debatable).

-Myst

The reason you want the Chainfist against Battlewagon spam is so that you can use it on your "Death or Glory" attack. You won't be attacking those wagons, most of the time - they're going to be steamroll you.

That being said, I don't think much of the chainfist myself. I1 kills it, IMHO, and it's stupid and annoys me to death that RAW really does say it is I1 while nothing short of Matt Ward going on record could convince me it is meant to be that way.

Personally, my Ironclad enters the battlefield in a Drop Pod, carrying a Seismic Hammer, DCCW, Melta, Flamer, Grenade Launcher and 2 HKs. I love it.

I'm not sure why you would want to use a chainfist instead of a meltagun for Death or Glory.

If you are D&Ging things that are resistant to Melta but not the additional CC pen die.

So, anything with Ceramite re-entry plating or Wave Serpent fields.

To the best of my knowledge, Storm Ravens can't tank shock, and I think the seismic hammer is better than the chainfist against Wave Serpents and the like anyway. If there was a vehicle with AV 14 *and* ceramite playing (so... 3rd edition Chapter Approved Armored Companies?) then the chainfist would be superior, but I've yet to encounter such a vehicle. Generally speaking, the chainfist seems strongly inferior to the seismic hammer, especially when you consider that, by RAW, it gives you -1 attack and causes you to strike last.

Archived