My new ironclad

I use 2 ironclads in my list in pods with a third pod full of sternguard with combi meltas. I used one IC double flamers and the other melta, storm bolter and HK missiles. This gave me a choice as to what to pod in first turn. If I wanted to hit armour I could pod in the melta/HK IC. If I wanted to hit infantry I would pod in the twin Flamer IC. But you need to choose your targets - i.e avoid units with melta guns, and if possible power fists/claws (although that's not so much of a problem). If I was faced with multiple melta targets I would pod in the sternguard first turn rather than both dreads.

The problem was that the IC's would get very easily tar pitted. It could take them multiple rounds of combat to kill a tac squad or an orc mob tying down one of your killiest units for most of the game. I found the secret was to have something fast that could get there quickly and join in the assault - an assault squad worked really well. The idea was to pin a unit in assault, and then kill it with the assault squad. Worked reasonably well.

EYIG

Thats exactly why I have a BC biker squad in my SW DP army- they get there quick to support the front lines, and take anything thats tarpitting my squads like the shocktroops theyre supposed to be.

To the best of my knowledge, Storm Ravens can't tank shock, and I think the seismic hammer is better than the chainfist against Wave Serpents and the like anyway. If there was a vehicle with AV 14 *and* ceramite playing (so... 3rd edition Chapter Approved Armored Companies?) then the chainfist would be superior, but I've yet to encounter such a vehicle. Generally speaking, the chainfist seems strongly inferior to the seismic hammer, especially when you consider that, by RAW, it gives you -1 attack and causes you to strike last.

It does cause you to strike last, but theres no -1 attack -walker rules take precidence over general rules for SCCWs.

What I'd like to know is if anyone bothers with the Hurricane Bolters? Three or six twin-linked bolter shots just seem like a total waste on a machine like this.

Would it make a difference if you were walking up the board instead of podding?

The extra firepower might help threaten targets and even if you give it HK Missiles, you're going to blow those on turn 1/2 anyway.

Archived