Night Lords Chaplain?

Raye

I've painted up a Chaplain. Finally, some success.

I took the basic jump pack Chaplain, and added one of those sweet MaxMini packs, which I have to say suits him rather well.

As some people may be quick to point out, Night Lords may well have not had Chaplains, being that pretty much only Word Bearers had them before the Heresy. However, I'd like to think that they did, or at least something along the same lines (skull-faced shouty guy with anger problems).

Plus, if they did exist, they would be the baddest asses in all of Imperial space.

:)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_mjwNZbvjn1Y/TDWf7pCsKxI/AAAAAAAAADk/tH2jcFpr2Lc/s1600/CHAPPY3.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_mjwNZbvjn1Y/TDWf6DN4aFI/AAAAAAAAADc/-14e6Q76GTQ/s1600/CHAPPY2.jpg

Enjoy :)

(Oh, he's a work in progress mostly because of the base. It's totally not done. Everything else I'm sort of happy with, unless anyone can offer any C&C)

SUCH a nice job modifying that jump pack, I am curious what you used for this. Maybe Sanguinary Guard jump packs? I have a codex NL army myself but I can only wish that I had anything so creative and professional-looking as this guy. I was actually thinking of using this very same model as a jump pack captain with some modifications, which seems very doable now that I have seen your work.

My one comment might be that he looks a little "dark" overall. Now before you set the torches to me, I KNOW that the Night Lords have a dark color scheme and that they were made with night infiltration in mind, but I have noticed with my own army that if you use a bright color like ice blue for the lightening bolts then the finished product can look a little "messy" unless you include some other lightly-colored accent material. I use a combination of bleached bone and dwarf flesh on the purity seals to give the eye something besides lightning to look at, or in this guy's case maybe a second highlight of straight blood red on the tabard? Just a thought.

Beautiful

Thanks so much SoH. :tu:

SUCH a nice job modifying that jump pack, I am curious what you used for this. Maybe Sanguinary Guard jump packs? I have a codex NL army myself but I can only wish that I had anything so creative and professional-looking as this guy. I was actually thinking of using this very same model as a jump pack captain with some modifications, which seems very doable now that I have seen your work.

The jump packs are from MaxMini. They're a really nice kit, and fit superbly on the GW models, especially this particular Chappy. Requires no converting or GSing either, which is great for me, cos I am a ham-fisted GS fool.

My one comment might be that he looks a little "dark" overall. Now before you set the torches to me, I KNOW that the Night Lords have a dark color scheme and that they were made with night infiltration in mind, but I have noticed with my own army that if you use a bright color like ice blue for the lightening bolts then the finished product can look a little "messy" unless you include some other lightly-colored accent material. I use a combination of bleached bone and dwarf flesh on the purity seals to give the eye something besides lightning to look at, or in this guy's case maybe a second highlight of straight blood red on the tabard? Just a thought.

Heh! there'll be no torches or burning here, it's nice to get constructive comments! :)

A lot of it's probably due to the lighting, cos he looks a fair bit lighter in real life (and I insisted on taking the photo at about 10.30pm when I finished him!)

I agree with what you're saying about the tabard though, it could do to be brighter. :)

Ta for the comment!

love it, like the lightning, there's something appealing about the fact its a little 'messy' sometimes crisp lightning works, in this case, you've found what works.

one thing, the crozius - seems a little dark up at the business end, but as you've already said, it may just be down to the picture...

and it looks like you've given him steel toe caps? awesome idea... lets play kick the xenos.

love it, like the lightning, there's something appealing about the fact its a little 'messy' sometimes crisp lightning works, in this case, you've found what works.

one thing, the crozius - seems a little dark up at the business end, but as you've already said, it may just be down to the picture...

and it looks like you've given him steel toe caps? awesome idea... lets play kick the xenos.

Hah! It was weathering, but I MUCH prefer the steel toe caps. That's awesome.

Yeah the Crozius is a little dark. I think I might give it a run over with the good old Dwarf Bronze. :)

Cheers.

i think you have a unique opportunity with those red bits on him. The wax seals, red crozius handle, and tabard all matching would look sharp. Leave the armor dark and grim. Bring the reds up a little brighter and get some badaab black in the recesses of the blue.

For lightning use Nihm's guide. It works quite well and is in simple easy steps. I do mine similar to how he does his but with some personal twists.

Make sure you play around with thinning the paints a little and don't be afraid to practice on something right before you apply them.

Here's all the extra paint i scrape off before actually getting my brush onto a mini. gallery_31335_1757_29304.jpg

Hope everything works out well!

Fantastic work - very characterful indeed. And don't be too concerned by the did they/didn't they have Chappies routine - the Emperor's Children had at least 1 mentioned in the Heresy books; Charmosian. And there's pic of him in one of the Heresy artbooks.

i think you have a unique opportunity with those red bits on him. The wax seals, red crozius handle, and tabard all matching would look sharp. Leave the armor dark and grim. Bring the reds up a little brighter and get some badaab black in the recesses of the blue.

For lightning use Nihm's guide. It works quite well and is in simple easy steps. I do mine similar to how he does his but with some personal twists.

Make sure you play around with thinning the paints a little and don't be afraid to practice on something right before you apply them.

Hope everything works out well!

Ta for the advice! I'll definitely work on the reds some more and post some updates when he's complete! :)

I love your lightning, and I'll defo take a look at Nihm's guide. It almost looks dainty. Even with care I tend to be a bit fathanded, got bad nerves in my hands, and they shake a bit! :devil:

Quite sinister. Make me want to finish painting/building the custom NL commander I've built.

Me personally; I'd use Shining gold instead of Dwarf Bronze. As Dwarf has a bit too much orange in it to go with the Tin Bitz base.

That's me 2 Cents.

Yeah I thought about Shining Gold, but I didn't want to make him look too bling-bling, if you get my drift. I've taken to scuffing the Dwarf Bronze with Boltgun Metal, as if his armours a bit war-torn. ;)

Fantastic work - very characterful indeed. And don't be too concerned by the did they/didn't they have Chappies routine - the Emperor's Children had at least 1 mentioned in the Heresy books; Charmosian. And there's pic of him in one of the Heresy artbooks.

Thanks for that. I forgot about that guy, it's been too long since I've read the first lot of HH novels. There was a Chaplain in the Dark Angels books too, but it always pays to make the point that you know these things to avoid torches and pitchforks! ;)

Archived