Mixed weapons command squad

Giga

I'm trying to think of ways to include MOAR meltas into my lysander lists, so I came up with the idea to change my 4x plasmagun command squad in razorback to the following:

- 2x plasmagun

- 2x meltagun

- rhino

By doing this, I'm lowering their overall price by 15 points (from 215 pts unit to a 200 pts unit), getting less anti-infantry shooting (8 shots instead of 10), gaining considerable anti-armor capability (two meltas + 4 str7 shots!), getting instant-killing capability (against T4 or lower, and this includes things like nob bikerz), and, while lowering the amount of anti-MC shots I put out, 2 of those shots will wound T6 MCs on 2+ rather then on 3+. The 12" range of the meltas meshes well with the 12" rapid fire range of the plasmaguns.

I'm replacing the razorback with a rhino, seeing as most of the time they're moving around at full speed and the razorback doesn't get much opportunity to use its gun. Also, having the capability to throw Avenger template out of a moving rhino, or shoot two meltaguns out of the top hatch seems a better idea then a TL-heavybolter I seldom use lately.

Discuss... :D

I suppose it depends on what role you want for your squad. I use mine principally for close combat and this is my current line up;

Company Champion with bolt pistol, shield and power sword

Std bearer (it is a command squad after all) with power fist and storm bolter

Veteran with power fist and storm bolter

Veteran with melta gun

Apothecary.

The 2 power fists give good close combat ability and along with the melta can sort out most tanks too. The storm bolters only cost 3 points each making them worthwhile in my opinion.

I normally take a standard 40 point Razorback too, which can give good fire support once the troops have disembarked.

Sounds like an interestng plan. I'd actually thought of doing this for a Biker Command Squad.

You lose two shots at the 13-24" band, but do gain the 2d6 AP and S8 of melta. You also go from having two wound allocation groups (plasmagunners and apothecary) to three (plasma, melta, apoth). This can either hurt, or help you. More help than hurt, though.

Quad plasma is nicer for a static unit, whereas the mixed group is nicer for the way you plan to run them...Rhino-mobile. You can even dig in on or near an objective and become pretty resilient to shift, especially against Tank Shocks. I know my local scene sees a lot of last-turn Tank Shocking of objectives for contesting, and a pair of meltas can really put the kibosh on that plan.

Except at very high points levels, I don't bother with plasma. I run 4x Meltaguns in my Biker Command Squad, because anything that plasma would give them a leg-up on (rapid-firing into Marines or Terminators) I can usually just smoke in assault. Melta is also much nicer at popping armor (plasma scratches the paint, melta evaporate the whole damn tank).

Once you start getting back to 2500, I will grudgingly admit that plasma starts getting some value back. Many armies can just put so many wounds on the table that if you're not firing twice every turn, you might as well go home. Tyranids at 2500 points make this painfully clear when they force you to shoot through 60+ T6 Sv3+ wounds.

Archived