Lords of the Legion

Hi all, this is my first post on B&C that actually contains some of my work, so please bear with me.

As you may have guessed from my name, avatar and title topic, I'm collecting Chaos, or more specifically, the Black Legion. (Death to the false emperor!)

In this thread I thought I might just show a couple of the things I'm working on: Currently a Power-Armored Lord (Undivided) and a Daemon Prince (Nurgle).

Warning: my photography is shocking, and I may have forgotten a few moldlines. Continue at your own risk.

My Lord: http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af17/KaosRaptor/ImportedPhotos00000.jpg

http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af17/KaosRaptor/ImportedPhotos00001.jpg

and my DP: http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af17/KaosRaptor/ImportedPhotos00002.jpg

http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af17/KaosRaptor/ImportedPhotos00004.jpg

http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af17/KaosRaptor/ImportedPhotos00007.jpg

Ouch, photos sure do bring out the worst in my minis, haha :down: Keep in mind they are still WIP.

Looking for C&C, thanks for your time.

Edit: Got rid of the links, posted directly. I hope they're not too big...I resized them on photobucket, but it doesn't seem to have carried over. :angry:

I'm afraid the links don't appear to work, it keeps coming up with: "The action that you were trying to perform has failed."

Did you know you can actually put the photos into your thread? If you copy the 'direct link' address then come back to your thread and above the 'reply' box left of the smilies one you'll see a button with a picture on it. Click it (sometimes it comes up with a message asking if you want to allow scripted windows, say yes) then paste the direct link address in the box. Click 'ok' once you've done this and Bob's you mother's brother :angry:

Cheers

James

If you haven't got them yet, get the GW washes. They are awesome and might hide some flaws in the underlying paintwork (I know they do that for me :P).

I don't know if it's the flash on the camera, but that white on the lord could use a couple of washes since it's really really bright.

The cloak could be used to add some more movement to the mini, it's a bit stiff as it is now. It has some movement, but I imagine that it might work better if it flows more outwards to the lord's left and has its edges flap off his armour rather than onto it.

It might be the photo here as well, but I would suggest having the non-chain sword be a slightly brighter red, right now it looks like it's too close in tone to the gold/brass and the details kinda bleed together due to that.

I'm not a big fan of using nid bits for DP's, but I kinda like the scythe.

The crushing claws holding them though, it looks slightly off. I'd suggest taking them off and trying to sculpt a pair of hands or something that grips it more tightly. Yes, I know that hands are quite hard to make, but my best tip on greenstuff is to try, try, try and try again until you succeed. Or run out and have to get some more, whichever comes first ;)

The shield on the shoulder is a nice touch, but overall I think it looks slightly too nid-like for my taste.

Good luck with your projects, it'll be fun to see how they progress :)

Thanks Typewriter, the advice/criticism is much appreciated! I do have the washes, but I'm just not up to that stage on this mini yet. But considering his armor is all black, do you mean something like a devlan mud wash?

I think the brightness is the flash...in real life the horns on his backpack have a green tinge, and the skulls and other spkies are nowhere near that bright, they are clearly bone.

In terms of the cloak, you're right, need more GS practice haha. :D Something I'll have to work on.

The chain blade is currently a boltgun metal/ blood red mix, you think I should add some bone/white to that?

Ah the DP....was wondering what people would think of him :)

The idea behind him was that it was a carnifex that lived after a failed tyranid invasion, and was not in touch with the hive mind. I understand that in the fantasy warhammer, the first chaos dragon (Galrauch?) was possesed by a Lord of Change. I thought something similar could happen with say, a Nurgle sorceror and a rabid carnifex.

The claws are somewhat goofy...but I'm almost out of GS at the moment, and won't be able to get any more for a while, so that'll have to be put on hold. Again though, I need the practice.

And though the photos don't show it clearly, I have added some "chaosy" details to him, like crusty skin, mold, and another mouth on his chest.

Thankyou again for your post, a lot to consider :P

A question to everybody though, I don't know what colours to paint my DP, looking for suggestions!

I like the chaos lord, pretty basic but effective

I think the nid conversion will work if you did something between the chest and the legs (i.e. feather type robe(tzeentch) , bloated gut (nurgle), shield armor w/ skulls for khorne...I don't know what I'd do for slaanesh, but you get the idea) I think anything to hide some of the nid and look more like a DP

As far as sculpting larger hands out of GS, I'm working on a conversion and using pinning wire, posing it the way I want, and then using GS to cover it...the only thing I'm having trouble w/ is twisting the wire right to were it keeps the shape I want it in.

looks good otherwise happy converting

If you did some weird freehand designs with a couple of brighter colours (complementing, not clashing. Or glowing runes of some kind) it would spice up both blades considerably. If you don't think you have the time/skill needed my suggestion is to just make a noticeable border between them, a wash of badab black might do the trick here. It'll darken the blade though, so be careful if you don't want it too dark.

One way to make black armour is to use several washes of badab black over white or grey undercoat, it comes out nice and shaded. It would be way too expensive to use this on a whole army, but on characters it might be worth a try.

About applying washes to the mini at this point, I'd say the metals and any colour that's not black might improve with some washing.

A tip for greenstuffing the cloak, try to emulate flowing cloth (or leather if this is what you're aiming for). Cloth is quite easy, just use an appropiately sized piece of cloth on yourself and test the pose and movement of the mini in real life. The same goes for leather, but it's not as commonly available in most peoples homes (if you don't have any, it behaves kinda similar to cloth but is much stiffer).

Good luck and thanks for listening, I get kinda carried away sometimes :lol:

Archived