Bored of Space Hulk Terminators yet?

Yes it's time for another of my crazy idea threads. You know when an idea gets into your mind and you can't get it to be quiet. It just keeps niggling at you until you do it. Well I, like many got a copy of Space Hulk last year (thanks to my other half grabbing me a copy for my birthday, wonderful woman that she is :)). I've yet to do anything but trim the mini's off the sprues. They're just such great mini's that I don't want to tackle them until I'm ready to for fear of making a mess of them.

So back to my crazy idea. I love Space Marine terminators. (who doesn't) I've been wanting to play about with one but I don't have any. Then I remebered there were 12 sitting in a glossy black box in my wardrobe. I didn't want to start messing about with them straight away because if the idea I had didn't work then I'd only have 11 and I'd be really mad at myself. So I hit ebay and bought a replacement for the one I'd thought about converting. Once I'd got that mini in the bag, I knew I had to try this out....

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/SHTerminator2.jpg

He still needs a little work, I tell you it's not easy getting his helmet out when you've only got a stanley knife, a pin vice and a set of files...

I'm not set on using this head. I've got all five Sanguinary Guard heads coming on their way in the post and I'm thinking one of the shouting heads might look better.

The only questions now is should I de-Blood Angel him or not and what should I do for his base? I'm thinking of putting him on a 40mm one and using green stuff to blend the silly slab of plastic he's attached to into it.

As always any comments are welcomed

thanks

James

Greetings.

Looking really good so far bud. I would have to agree that a shouting head would be better. Reason I say that is, it would create a greater atmosphere to the piece. The closed mouth expression gives the appearance that ripping the head off a gene stealer, is no harder than swatting a fly. An angry shouting mouth and scowl would depict the righteous hate and fury this veteran would have for this abomination.

As for which Chapter you should do, I can't really say too much, as I stuck with Blood Angels. However, if you're up for putting in the time to remove all the Blood Drops etc, I have seen some really well executed Deathwing and Ultra's made from the Space Hulk models.

As for ideas for the bases, take a look at my Space Hulk squads which can be found in the Blood Angels link in my sig.

Hope this helps.

CTK

Thanks CTK. Hopefully I'll have the other heads today so I can have a play with what looks best. If I do I'll get some more photos up tonight. I'm gonna have to think real hard about what to do with him chapter-wise as I like Ultra's, DA's and BA's. Hmmm... it's a tough one. Do any other chapters have famed first companies?

Had a look at your bases in your blog and they're pretty cool. Unfortunately I lack the neccessary materials to do anything like that, although thinking about it I might be able to get a hold of some Fimo....

cheers

James

Greetings.

Looking really good so far bud. I would have to agree that a shouting head would be better. Reason I say that is, it would create a greater atmosphere to the piece. The closed mouth expression gives the appearance that ripping the head off a gene stealer, is no harder than swatting a fly. An angry shouting mouth and scowl would depict the righteous hate and fury this veteran would have for this abomination.

CTK

Aye, as Blood Angels have been THE Space Hulk explorers for about twenty years now, they should really get mad with hatred when they fight them.

On the other hand, and you wrote that yourself, they are veterans (of many decades or even centuries of war) and therefore should be able to swat their foes like flies. Only a chapter's best warriors gain access to tactical dreadnought armour, remember? ^^

Furthermore, according to the fluff, terminators even withstand a Titan's treads (a short story, published in a german White Dwarf - though I think this was translated from an english original) and are extremely hard to crack open. A walking battle tank, that is.

Ruleswise, a standard issue "naked" genestealer is about 35% of a Terminator's point cost - and although a terminator's stats may be slightly below the genestealer's, his armour and equipment should make sure it either doesn't reach him at all or is already severly weakend.

Space Hulk rules are a different case, of course.

All summed up:

keep that silent head. It's cool.

I can see what you're saying Rogan. I think I've read that short story if I remember right it was a Wolf Guard that got stepped on, and he shrugged it off like it was a gentle shower of rain :wallbash:.

I think I might try the screaming head just to see what it looks like, but you're right, after looking at the photo in the cold light of the day after I cut up the mini, the calm confidence does kind of say 'I ain't afraid of no 'stealers'

As for his chapter, I'm gonna have a look around the Lexicanum and see if I can find a cool looking chapter that would have experience in fighting 'stealers and access to TDA. (I know technically all chapters do but I think that bearing in mind that it takes so long to manufacture the suits and train marines in it's use some of the 'newer' chapters wouldn't neccesarily equip it's 1st company with TDA straight away.)

cheers,

James

The Mentors lost their entire Terminator Company fighting Stealers...

Also, closed mouth head. The stoicism makes it awesome.

Also also, glad to see I'm not the only one who's discovered the cross-compatibility of many of the Terminator pieces...

The Mentors lost their entire Terminator Company fighting Stealers...

Also, closed mouth head. The stoicism makes it awesome.

Also also, glad to see I'm not the only one who's discovered the cross-compatibility of many of the Terminator pieces...

I'm sure you will agree that there's a difference between sending out a Terminator squad to fight a comparably mall amount of genestealers and having to put an entire company against an enemy force too vast to.

By the way, where did you get that information from? The only incident of this kind I can remember happened to the Ultramarines - and they fought against tyranids, not only genestealers.

I'm sure you will agree that there's a difference between sending out a Terminator squad to fight a comparably mall amount of genestealers and having to put an entire company against an enemy force too vast to.

...To what?

Furthermore, the point was that they're a Chapter which has fought Genestealers in the past. With TDA, I might add. And they're cool-looking. They're the only non-big 5 Chapter I can think of that's mentioned in relation to Space Hulk.

By the way, where did you get that information from? The only incident of this kind I can remember happened to the Ultramarines - and they fought against tyranids, not only genestealers.

It's mentioned in Citadel Journal 25, which introduced the Imperial Guard into Space Hulk.

I reckon screaming head, or if you want a closed mouth maybe have him looking at the stealer head (if you can), personally he looks like hes saying 'whats this?'

also, i really dig quartered armor, just my 2 cents!

Funny you should mention quartered armour cause I've got 'Sons of Gulliman' floating around my head just now...

Hopefully the other heads will be here soon (they didn't arrive today :)) so I'll have a play about and put some photos up of what I think works.

cheers

James

Double post, but the Sanguinary guard heads came today ;). Here's a new photo:

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/SHTerminator3.jpg

I think (I'm sorry about this Rogan and Octavulg) that the shouting head looks a bit better. What I suppose I could do is try painting up both along with the mini and see which looks best once he's finished.

cheers

James

Archived