WiP Duel!

So, this is my Duel of Ultramarines Capt. (anyone got a good name?) and a 'nid.

It is in its first stage, the models still need to be cleaned up and glued.

I call it "Eat This"

I was inspired by some artwork I found floating around on the web, can't remember who it was by but I loved it.

This piece is for a local painting comp. I wanted to keep the models nice and simple so not much conversion involved. Just a raid on my bits box really. We have allot of kids in our club and I don't want to overkill them! But I still have to give our local painting/modelling/gaming pro a run for his money...I'm going out on a limb as I have never painted an Ultramarine or a 'nid! All good though, I'm sure It won't be to hard :P And I want a change from Blood Angels!!

I have no idea what to do with the base, basing minis is not my forte. I know I don't want to go to elaborate and I pretty much want to keep it on a smallish base? I was thinking of just putting a built up "slate" type scheme?

Anyways, Here it is:

gallery_55263_5002_17139.jpg

gallery_55263_5002_118165.jpg

gallery_55263_5002_96349.jpg

gallery_55263_5002_3014.jpg

It's raining today and I have a whole day off. I will be working on this model in between the rest of my army so it will be (hopefully) 50% finished at the end of the day.

As usual, C&C muchly appreciated ;)

Yours in Honour and Faith,

Chaplain Hiltraud

nice work. As far as a base goes it needs to be something that works with the models. You have a moment in time frozen in the models. What happened 1 second before? 5 seconds? 10 seconds?

The Gaunt is jumping upwards and it appears as if the Captain only just now got it in his view finder. Why? Why didn't he have it targeted sooner? Since you're limiting this to just the 2 models, it's not really going to be practical to show the hundred plus gaunts that were running along side jumpy there if this were a charge across open ground. With that in mind I would think the gaunt was getting the jump on the captain, like it was slinking along behind something so the cap knew where the gaunt was to with in 3 meters or so, but had to wait to pin point it to really shoot it. Perhaps they are in an industrial complex and the gaunt was traveling through a duct in the floor. The Captain could hear it moving and thus was waiting for it, but until it burst through the floor he couldn't pin point it's exact location.

Perhaps the gaunt had doven behind a low ridge and was using it as cover. The Capy saw where he was, and figures the gaunt is moving toward him and know the average speed of a gaunt the captain could predict where the gaunt would be.

There's my two suggestions.

on a side note, I did a Space Marine Kill team a couple years back. Your mini-roma reminds me of one of them:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/maverike_prime/Warhammer/marine-02-01.jpg

@hazardousZERO: thanks; and of course it will be well painted! ;)

@Marshall_Brant: It reminds you of the artwork because it is based on it! I did some research and in the art, the marine is actually Capt Uriel. I may stick with that name but if not Rowsdower sounds interesting, thatnks for the suggestion.

Definately adding scars and battle damage.

@maverike_prime: The relationship betweent the two models and their environment is as such; The Capt (and his squad) are making their way through a hoarde of 'nids, they are slaying them left right and center, 'nid after 'nid. There will be a few bloodied 'nid and marine parts around them. This particular guant codenamed 'jumpy' is part of a wave of guants attacking the marines, Capt just took down a heap and the guant tries to get the 'jump' on him but his superhuman marine reflexes gives him a bolt to chew on instead. Capt is about to blast him back.

Hopefully that clears up what I'm going for here. and now that I have the artwork infront of me, it will be easier to base.

Chaplain Hiltraud

[EDIT] BTW maverick_prime, nice model. I love anything to do with 'nids getting killed, I HATE 'nids!

So, I ended up procrastinating for most of the day, I did complete a slew of minatures for my BA army but that's another post.

With this mini-rama all I basically achieved for the day was a bigger base, cleaning the model lines and put some bits on the base. Like I mentioned before, I didn't want to go to elaborate. Anyways here's another WiP shot, I'm undercoating tomorrow...

gallery_55263_5002_66481.jpg

The pic is a lil blurry. But there is a chopped up marine with a nid 'blade' to the head and there's also a dead 'nid with arms chopped and back of head exploded plus a few extra bullet holes here and there.

Yours in Honour and Faith,

Chaplain Hiltraud

[EDIT] spelling and grammer ;)

I like the overall composition of this piece, but a couple of things are niggling at me;

The diced marine looks a little bit like he's trying to stare out the dead 'nid. Perhams if you angled his head away a little more it'd look a littl better.

The helmet at the captain's feet looks to clean and like it's been placed down too gently. If the action surrounding this duel is a frantic hack and slash battle for survival, I think at the very least it needs to be a bit scratched. If it were mine, what I'd do with the helm is put some claw marks through/over one og the eye pieces and have it lying upside down-ish like it's been hurled to the ground so the captain can keep fighting.

just my 2 pence, other than that I think it looks really good.

cheers

James

Pig of Sparta: Thanks for the comments...

I agree with you about the dead marine, but I do want him to have a relationship with the dead 'nid, as it is the one that killed him before it to got killed and hacked...I may reposition him though...

The helm on the ground is scratched up with a wrecked optic, you just cant see it due to the crappiness of the picture :P I will also change the angle of the ground helm.

this mini rama looks cool as! even for a smurf! haha, only pulling your leg. nah its nice and dynamic, good stuff! is it for a comp or just for yourself as something different? looking forward to seeing it painted up.

So what started off as a quick project for a local painting comp ending up being quite a big project. I had to try and fit this in with making the rest of my 1500pt BA army. Alas, this project did not get finished in time for the comp. :P

On the plus side though, I love working on this so much that it will be a private piece and I plan to eventually make a full Ultramarines army.

So here's some long overdue WiP pics. All I have done so far is the torso and head. I'm still working on doing a better style of batlle damage. That's yet to come. And I've tried many new techniques on this model, most notable: blending, gold and different powersword. I've also never painted a face before.

Thinking about redo-ing his bolt pistol, not quite what I had invisioned

gallery_55263_5002_100644.jpg

Dead nid, just need to paint a bit more, trying not to put to much detail in it, don't want to distract you from the main feature...

gallery_55263_5002_130172.jpg

Power sword, testing out a new technique...

gallery_55263_5002_76553.jpg

You can't really see it properly but there is a pupil in that eye...

gallery_55263_5002_26916.jpg

You'll notice everything is blue-tac'd into place. I like to paint in sections, for some reason it just works allot better for me.

As usual, C&C is much appreciated.

Chaplain Hiltraud

[EDIT] I have also removed the dead marine. I felt like there was to much going on...

Looks good. I like the way the helmet is sitting on the blue-tac if you could slice the helmet down to where it can sit on the base like that it good as gold.

You could also do a light Sepia wash on the nid too, to clean up the dry brushing a bit. And maybe change it's back left leg so as it looks like its laying on the ground instead of hovering.

My 2 cents.

Cheers

Archived