Slaying Necrons

IcemanAAO

good evening brothers

i was just pondering at work this morning

how i'd go about bringing down Necrons?

theyre an army ive never played before

and any of the people i spoke to in my local shop had never played them

so ive absolutley no idea what would work?

i usually take a Venerable Dread with a CCW and Assault Cannon

a couple of Wolf Priests

a couple of squads of Grey Hunters

pack of Blood Claws

a Raider Redeemer

Preddy Destructor

Long Fangs

and a Lone Wolf

reckon this would be any good?

Ignore the monolith(s), they are not worth the effort and resources required to kill them. Instead focus on killing the warriors to force a phase out.

Good advise there!

Otherwise your list will work just fine against them.

Get close and slash them. Wolves vs. Necron can be easy if played smart & hard.

Necrons die quick in close combat, but thier shooting is Evil!!!

basically with wolves and lack of infiltrating you want to mech up and flat out first turn combined with popping smoke to try and shrug off all those glancing hits.

Use your heavy weapons to take down the skimmers, these things will avoid you all day and have something like 4 S6 gauss shots each.

assault will be easy, only special cc weapons can negate WBB and due to thier lack of attacks and Initiative you should be able to win combat easily... with thier high leadership you need to win by a margin to break them and run them down (they dont get WBB if run down from assault). It might be a good thing not to overkill units though, if you can create slow meat grinders that doesnt result in running them down then they cant shoot you in thier next phase.. something to think about.

a few issues:

Pariahs: savage gits, have warscythes which ignore saves and inv saves and have 2D6 armour pen.. all at I4... lords can be kitted out likewise.. especially be careful for lords with destroyer bodies.

Lords with teleport.. if you dont beat this unit he can teleport out leaving you bunched up for the AP1/2 monolith shot to wreck havoc on you... you need to roll over this guy asap, ity also helps if he has res orb.. if hes dead he cant use it.

Dont disregard scarab swarms, at flat out they get 2+ cover saves and may only be S3/T3 but have masses attacks.. they can be attached to a lord with destroyer body who can have a couple of upgrades which can ruin your day:

Nightmare shroud: every unit within 12" has to take a morale check as if they ook 25% casulties, not bad for marines but its a test you dont need to make.

gaze of flame: ignores all attack bonuses from charging (or countercharging) meaning less attacks at them.

?? cant remeer the name, but every wound you do on the unit means a S3 electric shock against you

Your ven dread is going to have a tough time making a impact. A group of 10 warriors can cripple a Land Raider in a single turn of shooting. If you're using vehicles of any kind, make sure they out range gauss weapons. Redeemer isn't a hot choice either. Don't get me wrong, those flamestorm cannons are killer and so is the capacity, but ANY gauss unit can auto glance on 6's.

What the others have said is good. Get up in their face FAST, and engage the warriors in close combat. Gun down destroyers and tomb spiders, and avoid like the plague the Deceiver or the Nightbringer (whatever its called). Them, and the Monolith will only absorb all your shooting to little effect.

I wouldn't expect your dread to last long :D

RoV

thanks for your help brothers

its much appreciated

think theres a few things i would change

maybe take some Wolf Scouts

their infiltrate would probably be invaluable

i was thinking of using my Redeemer to transport my Claws and a Priest

battering ram style

but if my Raiders gonna get melted to slag in a turn and a half, then i might save my points and just use Rhinos or footslog it

Necrons are very good at making you face lose-lose situations. As the monolith is the most durable vehicle in the game, many of us do ignore the monolith and simply go after the necron troops. This is as predictable as the sun coming up for necron players, however, and thus they set up traps to lure you into getting close. Your best bet is to not fall into the "CC = Win" approach to list building vs necrons and focus on mobility and medium range firepower.

While this is simpler with C:SMs, Wolves can accomplish this too.

Grey Hunters with double plasma guns and a power sword in a rhino are fairly effective at thinning out most necron targets at short~medium range without too much threat of retaliation. In a pinch, they can also perform close combat duties to tie up any targets of opportunity.

Dreads, in all honesty, should be left at home. They are of limited use against necrons because of the prevalence of destroyers. The only way they can truly make a big effect is if they come en-mass and with screeners and extra armor.

Combi-predators have their uses as long range snipers, and their #1 target should be heavy destroyers, followed by normal destroyers.

Godhammer Land Raiders should not be forgotten here because of their tactical flexibility: They can both transport packages of trouble and attack from long range with lascannons.

While I prefer Land Speeders with TMLs, Long Fangs will also do in a pinch: 4 MLs and 1 Lascannon can work wonders taking down destroyers and their ilk.

Terminators should also not be forgotten in this match-up. Necrons do not have very many AP2 weapons, and the ones they do have take up heavy support slots, which put them in competition with the Monolith for slots. Wolf Guard with CMLs, Storm Bolters, a few storm shields, and power weapons/fists can prove to be a big thorn in the necron army's side.

Vindicators can also prove their worth in your force, especially if they come in twos. The S10 AP2 cannon is one of the few things that can truly threaten the monolith, and the vindicators make a big target for scarab swarms and other necron disruption tools. Use this threat to cover your other threats, and the necron army will be hard pressed to silence all the threats to their well being.

Necrons nominally come in 3 flavors: Alpha Strike, Phalanx, and Fear. Learning how each one aims to defeat you leads to you formulating plans of your own, so here we go.

Alpha Strike necrons attempt to drop on your position with monoliths, shifting your units around, then disgorge warriors with necron lords attached to wreak chaos. They are also usually supported by wings of destroyers, scarabs, and heavy destroyers hitting flanks and tieing up dangerous shooting units. This list's main weakness is the very fact that the monoliths come in by reserve and into close proximity. You have two goals to accomplish to stand a chance:

1: disable/destroy the destroyers. If you allow these to run rampant through your formation, you will be scattered and annihilated by the monolith drop. Destroyers are top priority!

2: Pack S10 weapons. Whether it be Arjac or Dreads with Extra Armor or Vindicators, have them close by and able to engage in close quarters battle with the monoliths when they do drop. Monoliths are not invincible, so do not ignore them in this army type. You ideally want to destroy them the turn they drop so that the warriors in reserve are destroyed. If two of them drop in, the same principle applies, just add more S10.

Phalanx necrons capitalize on the regenerative properties of the Monolith to protect and cover a formation of warriors as they advance across the board. They'll typically use destroyers and heavy destroyers to guard flanks and hit vulnerable sections of the opposition. It is also not uncommon to see C'tan make an appearance in this army archetype.

Against this army type, it pays to have range. Lascannons, Plasma Cannons, Demolisher Cannons, and Missile Launchers all serve well in this scenario, particularily on non-infantry units given that vehicles can move and fire these weapons. As before, Destroyers are top priority, followed by the Monoliths. C'tan can be ignored because the C'tan are usually there to counter assault and protect the warriors in the formation. They can be safely ignored without too much consequence. Just remember to stay away, because if they catch you, they hurt quite a lot.

Fear necrons are seldom seen, yet something that you should still be prepared for. This archetype attacks the opponent's leadership using things like Pariahs, Flayed ones, and the Deceiver to lock down the opponent and pick apart the enemy at their leisure. This archetype commonly employs the Phalanx groundwork to protect the deceiver and pariahs as they advance into position. Destroyers are not as numerous in this archetype because the flayed ones take up fast attack slots and because the Deceiver costs significantly more than a lord.

Mechanization is the key to protecting yourself from this strategy. They can not attack leadership that is not there. As before, Range and Mobility is king. I apologize if I sound like a broken record, but target priorities are Destroyers, then monoliths, then the fear components.

I hope my experience helps you in any future battles with necrons. Good Luck.

One thing i've come to realize, and I play codex marines obviously, is that all you need to do to necron warriors is assault them hard and fast. They should lose combat decisively. And when they do their initiative is so low that you'll sweeping advance whatevers in your way. and if its 20 necron warriors ;) bye bye

take powerfists or power weapons and use your grey hunters assault weapons on they way in. I do it with codex tactical squads and powerfists. so the mighty sons of russ should have no problem :HQ:

let me add as a note that I play, primarily, a shooty codex list with incredible balance and solid counter charge. So I know its a lot easier to cripple them at range than it is for you to do. which helps a ton

also, use sternguard dragon fire rounds on scarab swarms that turbo boost you and are going to try and lock you up in CC. those are the rounds that effectively remove their 2+ cover save(well I guess that last one was just for codex marines)

While my Craftworld Eldar lament fighting Necrons my DE cackle with glee (although I'm not sure why they would fight necrons)....

Mobility is useful if they have deepstriking units... it can be annoying if you end up with warrior squads on either side of your army... however normally you can get psychic powers off without any problems... so I might suggest a Runepriest with Tempest Wrath... it could muss up a Monolith a little with luck... but the main benefit is to slow down destroyers that may be around assuming you count them as jetbikes for this purpose... for a second power I would go with Murderous Hurricane or JotWW... I'm hoping you won't need Storm caller anyway :(

A WGBL with a thunderwolf and saga of the hunter (that can outflank right... I don't use many options in the SW list...) and a OBEL wolf scout unit could be good to try and cause havoc on their side of the board...

Swiftclaws might be worth it to try and tie up destroyers or just an early assault... but expect them to take heavy casualties...

As for HS... unless your using a Land Raider variant as a transport go for vindicators and roll on the pain...

As for troops either option is good... ideally meched up... with as many power weapons as possible (fists might be worth while if you think you will get stuck with a C'tan... but generally PWs)... add WGs as you wish... wolf priest might help with blood claws...

Should you be facing nothing but monoliths on the board... yer dakka it but try and surround it with a large infantry unit...

Do as space wolves do and go for the throat... make them flee from combat and cut them down... then they won't get back up...

One thing to remember with Necrons is that the Necron players know their own weaknesses.

These days, many Necron players mitigate their Phase Out rule, and their shortcomings in close combat by protecting their Warriors from attack.

Necron Warriors parked in cover near a board edge take some time to reach. In that time, everything else int heir army is blasting you with S6+ Gauss weapons, making surgical close combat strikes against your fire support units, or swarming yu with...well...swarms of Scarabs. Scarabs get a boatload of attacks on the charge, and when equipped with Lightning Fields or Disruption Fields or whatever they're called, can Glance any vehicle in the game to pieces.

Spartan249 has written a really good summary, so I won't repeat much of that.

One thing to remember is that Monoliths force any unit they land on to get the heck out of the way. In objective games, this can be brutal, as many players drive all their heavy guns forward into the Necrno lines, leaving their home base objective held by a tac squad or two. Nothing a tac squad can pack will reliably destroy a Monolith, especially one that has just deep struck to contest an objective.

Theonly things that will keep a Necron down for the count are Instant Death, and power weapons in close combat. Even then, there are several ways to get around even that. Tomb Spyders, Res Orbs, etc.

Necrno players are tircksy bastards who know their army. Don't get cocky!

One thing to remember with Necrons is that the Necron players know their own weaknesses.

These days, many Necron players mitigate their Phase Out rule, and their shortcomings in close combat by protecting their Warriors from attack.

Necron Warriors parked in cover near a board edge take some time to reach. In that time, everything else int heir army is blasting you with S6+ Gauss weapons, making surgical close combat strikes against your fire support units, or swarming yu with...well...swarms of Scarabs. Scarabs get a boatload of attacks on the charge, and when equipped with Lightning Fields or Disruption Fields or whatever they're called, can Glance any vehicle in the game to pieces.

Spartan249 has written a really good summary, so I won't repeat much of that.

One thing to remember is that Monoliths force any unit they land on to get the heck out of the way. In objective games, this can be brutal, as many players drive all their heavy guns forward into the Necrno lines, leaving their home base objective held by a tac squad or two. Nothing a tac squad can pack will reliably destroy a Monolith, especially one that has just deep struck to contest an objective.

Theonly things that will keep a Necron down for the count are Instant Death, and power weapons in close combat. Even then, there are several ways to get around even that. Tomb Spyders, Res Orbs, etc.

Necrno players are tircksy bastards who know their army. Don't get cocky!

Thats why you kill them all... they can't get back if you kill them all..... BLOOD FOR THE... wait do necrons even have blood... thoughtful berzerker is thoughtful...

Thats why you kill them all... they can't get back if you kill them all..... BLOOD FOR THE... wait do necrons even have blood... thoughtful berzerker is thoughtful...

LOL :lol:

Well I don't think they have blood, but bottom line they can provide some skulls for that throne. ;)

LOL <_<

Well I don't think they have blood, but bottom line they can provide some skulls for that throne. ;)

Actualy they cant, any defeted necron, or part of a necron will be teleported back to its tomb world for full repairs. In general you cant colect peaces of necrons for trouphies or the like. There is at least one necron hand captured in a stasis feild for research. The magos who study it always end up insane and need to be euthinized.

On topic the way to defeat necrons with wolves is easy.

Close your eyes and point at random units in your army list, do this untill you have selcted your full points. You now have a list that will beet necrons.

LOL :huh:

Actualy they cant, any defeted necron, or part of a necron will be teleported back to its tomb world for full repairs. In general you cant colect peaces of necrons for trouphies or the like. There is at least one necron hand captured in a stasis feild for research. The magos who study it always end up insane and need to be euthinized.

On topic the way to defeat necrons with wolves is easy.

Close your eyes and point at random units in your army list, do this untill you have selcted your full points. You now have a list that will beet necrons.

Is that a terminator reference I see? ;)

Archived