My Army Fluff.

WarpEntity

Hey all, I'm new to warhammer 40k and am trying to figure out the fluff for my first army. I'm making the fluff, before making the army. It seems like a more enjoyable way to do it. Anyways, here is the idea...

A soldier of the black templars recieves a visit from what appears to be a ghostly Rogal Dorn. Dorn praises the soldier for his actions and says he is very brave and well off. Dorn tells the soldier that he has done so well, that he is worthy of a primarchs powers and that he will possess the soldier, granting him his cunning and strength. The soldier eagerly agrees, only to regret it almost immediately. It turns out that the entity he was speaking to was a particularly nasty tezeentch worshipper, from the warp. The soldier can see and feel everything, but is helpless against the overpowering will of the demon. The demon has complete control.

That is all I have so far. That soldier would end up being my HQ, most likely a demon prince. To explain where the rest of his soldiers come from, I figured the Rogal Dorn impersonator could decieve a group of black templars into thinking he was the real deal, and then lead them into the eye of terror. Once they were in the eye of terror. It would be short work to mutate them into something a little more obediant.

So does anyone have any suggestions to make this a little more loyal to the warhammer40k fluff already in existence? Does it make sense?

Honestly making it Black Templars is a bit of stretch. Not only are they a prominent canon chapter with a lot of info about them, but they are known both for zealous loyalty and hatred of "witchery" of any form. The Templar would almost certainly recognize the manifestation as some trickery and begin trying to shoot/chop it up. You would probably be better off having it be some chapter that you yourself invent so as to not contradict the existing fluff of the BT's pretty good record of loyalty. Otherwise it could work, GW did a similar thing with how Fulgrim turned so it could work, just change the chapter.

As I said, invent your own. If this kind of thing occurred to a canon chapter it would certainly be known and it's not. Otherwise, you could pick a canon chapter and say that this happened to one of it's members, say a sergeant or something who somehow managed to disappear and through prayers to the Dark Gods was carried into the warp where he joined a warband of CSM's and then took over. If so, maybe a cursed founding chapter would work, Lamenters might be a good candidate, they are of Sanguinius's geneseed and bad things are always happening to them.

Coulden't he take the road of the champion though? Not so much have an actual champion turn to chaos but in the codex it says that prior to battle the Emperor will grant a vision to a battle brother, that brother will then go to the chaplains and tell them of his vision and he will then be made the Emperors Champion. So the brother could misinterperet what is really witch craft as a vision granted by the Emperor except have the "Emperor" actually be a daemon who has tricked the Templar and then carry it from there?

Corruption is a slow process.

I think you might be more satisfied by making your Marines an isolated detachment battling Chaos who gradually become what they ought to despise and find themselves sympathising with the enemy against the Imperium.

In this regard, any Marine Chapter could be your choice.

Slow, small steps with time for many deeds to go along the way (aka, you have an ulimited timeline to give your characters all sorts of history about why they are badass!)

I think you might be more satisfied by making your Marines an isolated detachment battling Chaos who gradually become what they ought to despise and find themselves sympathising with the enemy against the Imperium.

Slow, small steps with time for many deeds to go along the way (aka, you have an ulimited timeline to give your characters all sorts of history about why they are badass!)

Good point! Honestly, the only reason I came up with that idea is I like the Imperial Fists paint scheme and I wanted an excuse to use it. What ever reason allows me to play an Imperial Fists looking army, with battle damage and rust and all that jazz on their armor, is good enough for me. :D

Good point! Honestly, the only reason I came up with that idea is I like the Imperial Fists paint scheme and I wanted an excuse to use it. What ever reason allows me to play an Imperial Fists looking army, with battle damage and rust and all that jazz on their armor, is good enough for me. :P

Are you doing Black Templars or Imperial Fists? in your OP you said BT and now its IF which have differant paint schemes and fluff?

If you don't mind me giving a modelling suggestion to go along with the 'slow process' theme, I would suggest mix matching Space Marine and Chaos Marine bits in making your units (not characters, as they should look more corrupt and impressive than their followers). Also, in your painting you could show how they have replaced their armour bit by bit and (in some places) still wear yellow while in others you have a different colour to rerpesent armour they have made/found or their new colours. Combine this with painting effects to make the armour look worn and weathered, and you'll have a bunch Chaos Marines that really do look like they were loyalists a while back without going whole-hog and painting them all yellow (which would make them Imperial Fists with horns).

Archived