Need help with a list VS Nids

Hi guys I'm hoping you guys can help me put together a 1250 point list to use against my brothers Nids. He has alot of stuff and all the latest and greatest Nids aswell. As for my gear I have plenty of marines few meltas, few flamers and champs w/pf among them probably 4 complete squads of ten or more, at least 4 squads of 10 Zerkers with champs and p/f plus 1 land raider, 2 rhinos, 2 daemon princes, Khârn at least 10 termies assorted, 2 defilers, 4 maybe can get 6 oblits on table a greater daemon i can summon aswell oh and some bikers 6 :( which im not to keen on. thats about it for now i think,

thanks in advance guys :P

Does he potentially have any zoanthropes? if not the the landraider could be a good buy since he doesnt have many counters.

Defilers pie plates will sort out hordes well, also their combat potential is useful to hold up the odd swarm.

Hug cover with normal marines, the lack of frag grenades mean you can strike 1st.

if you took both defilers i'd then try and get 3 oblits in as well to target a big beastie and bring it down over a few turns, unless you have any heavy weapons to put in your normal squads? in which case that would be useful.

Without more details its hard to be more specific. hope this helps

I find the 'Nids to have many subpar units (Carnifex, Pyrovore, Zoanthrope, the last one decent against us, bad vs a SM player with a hood in).

Many 'Nid players will run their Trygons like they were fast Carnifexes of previous edition, this means they will likely be on you in turn 2 (movement rolls permitting of course). If he chooses to deepstrike it, laugh as it comes on the board, then focus fire it with every AT weapon you have, 6 T6 wounds with no save isn't hard to remove, you can even let a fist champ finish it off.

The Tyranids struggle with armour, having only 2 real options capable of dealing with it (Hive guard are for taking out transports imho) - the Zoans and Tyrannofexes. The first one has to get in range (either with a pod, or walk within 18", +1-6" more if he uses Onslaught on them), pass a psychic test, roll to hit, penetrate AND finally damage it (AP 1 though so there's a greater chance of doing something useful). I find that the best way to deal with Zoans is rapid fire or regular bolter spam, saving my high strength weapons for Hiveguard, Warriors and Trygons.

The other option is the Tyrannofex, it is pricy, slow, has but two shots with the Rupture Cannon, and has BS 3. If he fields neither then you're good for a full mech list (including a Raider), if he fields a few (take note of how he uses his Elite slots) then target his anti tank first and roll around in your steel boxes and watch his frustration, if he fields many (like many competitive 'Nid players do) it all comes down to regular target priority vs the mission you are playing.

If he uses Stealers aggressively then always put your models in cover, it negates their high ini bonus and with their low save it will punish him.

A walking Tyrant is a (slow) support unit, treat it as such, the same goes for the Swarmlord, it can be ignored but it will eventually hit something of yours and that something will then proceed to die in agony - but it won't do much else CC wise for that game. You have the option of choosing what that something can/will be through manoeuvring/deployment.

Carnifexes are slow, you can mostly ignore them. Note: keep them away from your Raider.

The best cure for Doom of Malan'tai is a Powerfist or str 8+ weapons to it's face.

A Nurgle Prince (or two) with Rot is absolutely fantastic for removing little bugs, beware of Poison though.

Take note of how many Psynapse creatures he has, if it's just the Tyrant and Trygon (Prime only), then punish him by removing one of them asap. This is unlikely though.

A Tervigon will yield and average of ~23 'Gaunts before drying out, there are exceptions of course, oh and they will suffer/die if it dies.

That is all I can think of without knowing his list.

Against nids I would dump meltas for plasmas in most cases... yer you can ID with the melta on a few units... but generally nids will come to you so you ahve the option of standing back and zapping... and S7 AP2 is enough for most things... + the extra shot... flamer obviously good with a charge or double tap from normal marines depending on what it is you are attacking.

As for CC weapons I would go for the fist... as in most cases if they are nasty they will go before you or you will need a fist anyway... although hiding in bushes can sometimes help :woot:

Lash princes could be annoying... normal DP smashiness and the normal movement shinanigans... bit where you might often use it to help you get the charge... against nids I would use it so it takes a few extra turns to get the charge... even if you can just break his assault so he only hits you with one unit rather than 2... also moving people out of synapse..

Oblits have normal goodness.... defilers depend on the list... if they have problems with armour then that is a bonus... that template can at least put a wound on anything without a 2+ or inv save... and can cause instant death to middle sized bugs... and will make wholes in the swarm... It can also be used to tie up middle sized and small nids in CC... but be careful that they don't rend.

As for rhinos and raiders if he has problems with tanks then it might be worth considering... depends on what else you want in your list... I've found berzerkers with plasma pistols are good against nids... Hide in the bushes.... if genestealers rush at you stay in the bush and shoot your pistols... if little nids where you will go first come along then jump out of the bushes (shoot boo if you wish), shoot and charge... if big nids come (MCs) fire 3 plasma pistols into them... you will normally cause a wound or 2... then charge...(or if it is better to be charged wait) hopefully your champion will survive... and you might take a wound or two from the normal guys with the fist finishing the beast off!

If he's running genestealers, you might have to change your deployment based on whether he infiltrates or outflanks them. Try to keep your guys towards the middle of the field if possible, maybe keep some stuff in reserve to come in later turns.

Your defilers and oblits will help big time, especially if he's running lots of gaunts or gargoyles. The zoanthropes can be a pain to your armor, since one of their psychic shooting attacks is a lance weapon, but I think it's only 24" range. If he uses a mycetic spore though, he can drop it pretty much anywhere on the field.

The hive tyrant can rip you apart in CC if used properly. He has one psychic ability, called paroxysm I think, that makes your guys WS1 for the turn. Try to focus fire on that thing if possible.

Archived