Ultramarines 3rd Company Devestators

JetfireUK

Hi Folks,

I've got these Devestators finished this morning and I thought to take a few shots of the finished articles for you lot. I actually enjoyed painting these five up - the various backpacks made it easier to carry the chequers motif and I like the Sergeant. What do you reckon?

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y104/JetfireUK/SL271374.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y104/JetfireUK/SL271375.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y104/JetfireUK/SL271376.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y104/JetfireUK/SL271377.jpg

looking good, nice and clean, good job on the scrollwork.

a couple of niggles if you dont mind constructive cirticism?

1: you should try blacklining, it makes the armour stand out more.

2: The gaps in the armour are better in black than silver. (maybe highlight the raised areas with a dark grey)

3: highlights, the blue ones are very subtle, (perhaps adding a second brighter highlight would help), also all other colours should be highlighted for extra effect.. the red on the pads, the black on the weapons etc

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the comments and criticism.

I've found the black lining is a little harsh contrast-wise. I used regal blue for these but it may still look a little too light - I'll try a mix of regal blue and black next time. I'll definitely give a go to highlighting the black of the weapons and shoulder pad rims in the future though. I find that it's a tricky balance to have nice highlights and those which are too light. Thanks for the views as it's always helpful for improving my next squads.

I got these Devestators as part of the Dark Angel set when it came out so I'm not sure if the Command Squad upgrade sprue comes with the Devestators normally.

I really like the way you did the lens' and eyepieces. The cheques also look very good and tie the squad together.

Like greatcrusade08 said the painting is nice and clean. The only thing that might help is adding a blue wash to the cracks to give the models more definition/depth. I haven't painted ultras so that might not be an option, but I think it might help.

Good looking models though.

I really like the way you did the lens' and eyepieces. The cheques also look very good and tie the squad together.

Like greatcrusade08 said the painting is nice and clean. The only thing that might help is adding a blue wash to the cracks to give the models more definition/depth. I haven't painted ultras so that might not be an option, but I think it might help.

Good looking models though.

Thanks for your thoughts. I think that I need to darken the wash I use in the cracks as the Regal Blue isn't showing up enough. :devil:

• 2 months later...
Hi There,

I've done a few figures - I think that after this batch I put together a set of Terminators and recently re-painted a Chaplain. I'll upload them in a bit. :)

Cool! :)

Oh, and what recipie d'you use for your Ultras? (I asked before, but I'm guessing you didn't see).

Ludovic

2: The gaps in the armour are better in black than silver. (maybe highlight the raised areas with a dark grey)

actualy an heavy badab black wash do well to

I must object. The heavier the wash is, the easier a model gets ruined. I tried that with my first newer models, too, but in the end, you're better off simply using the basic dark lining technique.

I'll add a few shots to my own Ultramarines thread in a few minutes, maybe you'd like to take a look at how much of a difference this makes.

@ greatcrusade:

Aye, point 3 is absolutely correct. I used Ice blue for the final highlights - thus ignore the tutorial on the aforementioned thread. Highlights can create such incredible differences, it's hard to believe unless you try it yourself. Do not fear, the instant you start thinking of these as too harsh, they're perfect. ;-)

dude i like these models they are clean and very nicely done. the checks look great man keep it up.

when i painted some ultra marines i did somewhat of a similar job with modest highlighting. to give a bit more depth my buddy had me try a super light wash of vallejo smoke in the creases of the armor plates. you can also go satin or semi gloss finish to achieve a bit more contrast on things. but tbh i dont think these need much changing.

Cheers folks for the kind comments.

The recipe I use with my Ultras is:

Build up a nice colour of Ultramarine Blue through a number of layers

Mix a wash up of Chaos Black and Regal Blue - somewhere between 60:40 and apply all over the model and allow to dry

Go over the armour with Ultramarine blue leaving the wash in the crevices and gaps in the armour plates

Gradually increase the highlights using small amounts of Space Wolves Grey

Final highlight of Space Wolves Grey on the very edges

Archived