New Ultramarine Recipe

good question and I'm glad someone asked it...basically.....I have no idea! Its just the how the technique started really, but I personally find that the top blue layer adheres to the mini better, I'm not sure why though, but to me somehow I can paint better like this haha, and I have no idea why <_<

Ahh, I see. What sort of primer spray can are you using?

The nest I can think of is that the Chainmail drybrush gives a somewhat slippery primer coat more 'tooth', and therefore all further layers adhere better. Interesting!

I don't use spray primers, so I'm not overly familiar with them any more. I use a homebrew mix of glass and tile medium mixed with black craft paint and a smidge of water. Plenty of tooth to hold paint.

Regardless, yur technique definitely works for you! The red Marine is great, as well. I'm very impressed with your metallics, and skin work. Bravo!

good question and I'm glad someone asked it...basically.....I have no idea! Its just the how the technique started really, but I personally find that the top blue layer adheres to the mini better, I'm not sure why though, but to me somehow I can paint better like this haha, and I have no idea why :)

Ahh, I see. What sort of primer spray can are you using?

The nest I can think of is that the Chainmail drybrush gives a somewhat slippery primer coat more 'tooth', and therefore all further layers adhere better. Interesting!

I don't use spray primers, so I'm not overly familiar with them any more. I use a homebrew mix of glass and tile medium mixed with black craft paint and a smidge of water. Plenty of tooth to hold paint.

Regardless, yur technique definitely works for you! The red Marine is great, as well. I'm very impressed with your metallics, and skin work. Bravo!

Yeah thats what I was thinking ShinyRhino, I use the Gamesworkshop Chaos Black spray as a primer and it works really well.

And ok people I'll paint a marine up tomorrow and post a Tutorial by 4pm tomorrow, or the afternoon for those who aren't in my time zone haha :)

For the red I'm guessing switch Asurmen blue for Baal red, enchanted blue for blood red, and space wolves grey for blazing orange

Almost spot on Bigger than Jesus, only difference is that I in fact used Golden Yellow for the highlights on the red marine, everything else is correct :P

I'm sorry I didn't get the Tutorial up yesterday guys, it will be up very shortly, within an hour I'd say :P

I got rather distracted yesterday :)

Double post sorry!!

The Tutorial is up now :) Linky

Its a little rushed but I think it's still useful

And here is a quick update on my normal marines...

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo11/Cosmic_Castaway2157/Ultramarines/Photo1423.jpg

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo11/Cosmic_Castaway2157/Ultramarines/Photo1425.jpg

I was happy with the banner whilst I was painting it, but now I hate it, looks so cartoony so I may go back and redo it once the rest are complete

Thanks again people :)

Daniel

• 8 months later...
Very impressive Daniel. I checked out your blog and love the wounded imperial guardsmen with the blue scheme. I haven't played myself in awhile but this would be nice for my guardsmen to have that scheme to rock along with my um army (if the 5th? edition rules still allow imperium attachments?).

Archived