Rules Query

Jorre

3 of my mates and myself are getting together this weekend to play our first 40k game in 13 odd years. We have been rebuilding our neglected armies over the last 9 months or so and we are almost ready to start playing again. We thought we would try a mini tournament of Kill team to ease ourselves back in as it requires far less models and most of us haven't really got legal armies yet.

I've read the rule book a whole bunch and gone through the kill team rules in the battle missions book several times and I think I am ready, one little query I have though is. How does the Stubborn rule effect the game ending in kill team. The stubborn rule states that the unit is not effected by leadership modifiers when taking moral tests. Does this effect the leadership test you have to take and the leadership penalties you must take for each subsiquent test you take?

It doesn't seem right to me for stubborn to effect the game end roll to me but I couldn't find anything to justify my thoughts. Anyone else got any thoughts on this or had a problem with this rule before ?

I will be playing against Chaos demons, space wolves and Tyranids, will let you all know how it goes after we play. There is no way a warrior of Sanguinius would fail against these heathens!

5E Kill Team rules are in Battle Missions. And the way it's been played at my local GW store is that even Fearless troops need to make a test on their base LD, which is how my Death Company lost a game they'd have totally won otherwise :/ I'm tempted to say that on that basis Stubborn wouldn't work either. But what BA units are Stubborn?

You see all this started with the nids player, we were all lead to believe that synapse gave nids stubborn. Turns out its fearless not stubborn. So we looked into the rules a little more and someone mentioned giving a squad leader the stubborn rule as one of the 3 special rules you can dish out in kill team.

This would technically allow you to take advantage of the rule IF it effected the game ending roll.

I'm not sure there is an official answer to this question, as I don't think there as been any kind of rulings made on Battle Missions stuff.

but just in case, I'm going to send this over to the Official Rules forum. Most likely place to find the answer.

Ok I've read through the battle missions book on kill teams as well as the rules for fearless and stubborn and found a very easy answer for this. Stubborn and Fearless only affect morale tests and have no effect when determining the end of a kill team battle which require a leadership test. I believe there's a distinct difference between the two.

the Ld test at the end of a kill teams game is taken by the PLAYER not a model. It is taken using the highest ld of any model that player controls but again the model is not takeing the test, therefore no special rules will ever be taken into acount for this test. It should also be noted that if all you have left at the end is vehicles you will automaticly fail the test as vehicles have a no ld score.

Archived