Viva Metall..um Brother Captain!

After seeing Brother Captain's Assault Sergeant I had to give his technique a try. You can find more information on it here in his thread and here on his Blog.

Here's what I came up with:

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/Viva2.jpghttp://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/Viva3.jpg

You'll notice (if you've seen Brother Captain's minis that is) that mine is a lot darker. I'd like to pretend that that was by design, but I kind of overdid it with the red washes, so to try ad restore some definition to the mini I gave it a wash of Asurmen Blue. I think that it might just have rescued it from needing to be stripped and repainted.

Some areas are still to be highlighed up but please let me know what you think

thanks

James

I'm liking the dark red - it's a sort of brick red. The metallic details are looking nice - the gold Aquila does draw the eye away from the head/main part of the model. Maybe a wash of gryphonne sepia would work here? The silver detail is amazing - especially on the leg.

I'm just wondering if washing the recesses with purple might make the red stand out more........

Anyway, great model overall - can't wait to see it finished!

Thanks Lestat. I'll try washing the recesses tonight. I'm inclined to agree with you about the aquila, it does need to be muted a bit, I'm so used to painting shiny metal though. I do't have Gryphonne Sepia, but I'll try a couple of glazes of Scorched Brown or Dark Flesh to tone it down a little :blink:

I'm a bit though miffed that no one's commented on my (sacreligeous?) conversion of a Limited Edition mini...

cheers

James

how awesome is this models pose, love the new marines. I dropped out of the hobby at the end of 3rd edition, then i came back to find stuff like this! And the paint job youve done really does it justice, loving it!

Thanks Lestat. I'll try washing the recesses tonight. I'm inclined to agree with you about the aquila, it does need to be muted a bit, I'm so used to painting shiny metal though. I do't have Gryphonne Sepia, but I'll try a couple of glazes of Scorched Brown or Dark Flesh to tone it down a little :)

I'm a bit though miffed that no one's commented on my (sacreligeous?) conversion of a Limited Edition mini...

cheers

James

To be honest, the conversion worked so well I hadn't even noticed! But now that you mention it, it's your model so you can do with it as you please.

The mini is looking great so far! :D I like how it turned out with the blue wash. I have heard that blue can be used to shade red but I didn't know it would work so well on metalic red. It's very impressive to see how the armour and the whole mini comes to life when the details are painted. As far as criticism goes, I'm not sure if the eyes and purity seal are still WIP but I'd suggest some more highlights there and maybe painting the skull on the inside of the purity seal a metalic colour. I'll also agree about the gold aquilla being slightly too bright but I'd suggest you shade it after you finish highlighting the eyes so you can better judge how it contrasts with the head.

To be honest, the conversion worked so well I hadn't even noticed! But now that you mention it, it's your model so you can do with it as you please.

That makes two of us then. I didn't realise it was a conversion. James, you should be carefull though because, you know... nobody expects the limited edition miniatures Inquisition! I was spared because I used a mini with a miscast part but they may be after you. :P

@ Replica: With all this GW hate you see on the forums lately I thought I was the only one impressed with the mew marine minis. It's nice to see I'm not alone in this. :D And being totally off-topic I'd like to add that I really love the Sternguard minis. Another useless information about the mysterious being called Brother Captain! ;)

Thanks for the comments guys;

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the sign of a good conversion is that it doesn't look like a conversion, so on reflection I'm actually fairly pleased that you missed it :D. I ummed and aahed a lot before going ahead and lopping off his hand, but I just thought that as cool as 'true grit' used to be, it doesn't exist anymore. (although the space pups still get to wield one handed bolters and get away with it.... no particular reason they just do ;)) The outstretched bolter with a sight on it just looked a bit strange to me. Also, although you can see it from these photos the arm, hand and weapon don't actually line up with the angle of his head, the pistol sort of corrects this.

The eye lenses and purity seal both have a couple more layers of highlighting left to be done on them. I was going to do it tonight, but got distracted by a Sanguinary Guard mini....

I might give the holster a glaze or too just to tone down the highlights a little, I think they like the aquila are drawing attention a little but too much.

I really like the direction that the new marine mini's are headed in too. There seems to have been a realisation that sine we keep getting told by GW that power armour suits are ancient relics, they should look that way, with mis-matched plates, older and newer styles mixed together and that in general, marines shouldn't look exactly the same. They might go through rigorous genhancement and psycho-therapy, but they are still individuals :D

cheers

James

Just a quick update of some more photo's:

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/Viva4.jpghttp://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/Viva5.jpg

they're taken under natural light and I think they look a lot better than my earlier ones ;)

I've given the gold and the holster a glaze of Scorched Brown to calm them down a little and highlighted the eye lenses and purity seal. Only thing missing from them is the white reflection spots cause I forgot to take my Skull White to work with me :)

edit: the base is still very WIP, I accidentally chipped of a whole chunk of sand from the front of it so it needs a quick repair job before it can be finished off. The painted are is to show me the bit I need to re do :)

cheers

James

Thats looking pretty sweet - the eyes I think only need a very small dot of white as they are looking pretty good as they are now. The gold and the holster looks better toned down like that.

I think a dark wash would work on the stone as it would follow the dark colour scheme you have already used.

I was thinking of a dark creamy brown with some green washed into the recesses to age it a little. Kinda like the Imperium is reclaiming a lost world...

cheers

James

If you get an old brush and shorten the bristles a bit, you can use that to stipple on colours. It also allows to you blend and build up muddy/dirty colours quickly. I did this on some Rugby inspired Marines earlier this year and it worked pretty well.

Thanks Replica and Lestat. I might try the lens glow effect on him. I think on some mini's it does look really good. I read a couple of tuts on how to do it so.... hmmm I'll have a think about it.

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/Viva6.jpg

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/Viva7.jpg

(I'm sorry about the quality of the photos, it's been too wet and windy for me to get natural light shots this evening, when I take the final pics I'll make sure it's a nice day though.)

He's 98% finished now, just need to tidy up the rim of his base and put some insignia on his shoulder pads. Time to dig out my decal sheets for some inspiration....

cheers

James

Now I don't know about anyone else but I can't see the base red as shiny. It looks like a deep maroon but not shiny in the slightest. The other parts I can tell but the main colour, no. Might be the lighting so that could be changed to give a ebtter appearance. Eyes are nice, coating is good and the general look is pretty sweet :)

thanks for your comments guys:

@ Brother Captain: you definately were right. I'm glad I posted up pics of thisa guy because I really was on the verge of stripping him the other night. I usually put most of my finished stuff on CMON, so this guy will be joining the others, along with a link to your blog :)

@ Lestat: thanks mate. It took about two hours and multiple washes and glazes of browns and greens so I'm glad it's worked. For those two hours I was literally watching paint dry :).

@ Hubernator: thanks for your comments. The colour is mainly down to the lighting used in the photos and my use of Baal Red Wash rather than Red Ink. The washes are a lot more muted than inks (as I'm sure you know :)) and also dry to a matt finish. It probably also results from my shading wash of Asurmen Blue as well. If you look at the photos before the last ones you'll see that the previous ones are a bit lighter. I took those ones during the day while the last ones were taken at night in my yellow lit kitchen.

cheers

James

@ Hubernator: thanks for your comments. The colour is mainly down to the lighting used in the photos and my use of Baal Red Wash rather than Red Ink. The washes are a lot more muted than inks (as I'm sure you know :)) and also dry to a matt finish. It probably also results from my shading wash of Asurmen Blue as well. If you look at the photos before the last ones you'll see that the previous ones are a bit lighter. I took those ones during the day while the last ones were taken at night in my yellow lit kitchen.

Well if you're using Baal Red it should have given a shiny finish. I've used the other washes and they give off the shiny finish, it may depend however on how you layered the model. I mean from a guess I'm thinking black spray on, Boltgun Metal basecoat then applying the washes. The blue wash going thick could also have darkened it, it works better when watered down.

The basecoat wasn't a solid layer, but rather a drybrush of Tin Bitz followed by a drybrush with Boltgun Metal. He isn't a true Viva Metallica marine, but I wanted to acknowledge metcalfedan's contribution to this type of painting in my posting. I think perhaps I should apologise, for my topic title may have been unhelpfully misleading as I've used Brother Captain's style of painting for this mini :lol:.

Photos of him are now up in the Hall of Honour if anyone'd care to look and he'll be up on CMON within the day as well :P

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions

James

The basecoat wasn't a solid layer, but rather a drybrush of Tin Bitz followed by a drybrush with Boltgun Metal. He isn't a true Viva Metallica marine, but I wanted to acknowledge metcalfedan's contribution to this type of painting in my posting. I think perhaps I should apologise, for my topic title may have been unhelpfully misleading as I've used Brother Captain's style of painting for this mini :).

:) You sly bugger :P Should of mentioned that beforehand otherwise we'd have more confused fans wondering the effects aren't the same :P

Archived