Taking non-dedicated transports

I think I know the answer to this but wanted to ask anyways. Is it possible to take transports (rhinos, razorbacks, droppods) not as dedicated transports? Or do they always have to be bought with a unit? I'm thinking you aren't allowed to as there is no FOC slot for them. The Land Raider you can take obviously as it is a heavy support choice. I was just thinking in some cases it might work out to get that odd drop pod or to have an extra razorback or something.

I'd say that no, you cannot take transports without them being dedicated. But you can take them as dedicated and not use them for that unit. The only stipulation of dedicated transports is that only the unit they're dedicated to can start inside them. But you don't HAVE to start the unit inside. And for drop pods you can take them for your units and just drop them empty for extra guns on the table.

agreeing with these guys, almost all (if not all) dedicated transports can only be bought for units (generally under the unit description), there is no little box that tells you you can buy them on their own as an elite or troops or what ever, therefore you cannot.

Sorry for stealing a topic but I have simmilar question: Can unit start game in a transport bought as part of FOC? Eg. can possesed start game in LR?

Sorry for stealing a topic but I have simmilar question: Can unit start game in a transport bought as part of FOC? Eg. can possesed start game in LR?

Though it is never actualy mentioned in the rules anywhere the general concensous is yes. I am told that there is an example where that happens in the BRB, however as I only have the Black Reach rule book I can not quote you the pages.

Archived