Just got a Land Speeder Storm

Possessed Marine

Hey all, as the title says, just got one to ferry around my CCW scouts, and was wondering, should I stick to the heavy bolter or use a different weapon? I have other units to deal with armor, so I was thinking since it's a anti-infantry (lol) role, was thinking that I should stick with that theme. Also, I mainly deal with other marine armies, so I was thinking, either the bolter or the assault cannon. Something to allow my scouts long enough to sit down with the teleport homer and await the actual squad that I want in that position. Any suggestions?

I wouldn't add an assault cannon if I were you. You increase the cost of the Storm by 70% and you still only have it on a BS:3 Open-topped AV10 vehicle. To me, that's just a bad investment. It might look cool, but that's about it. I'd either keep it cheap and just keep the heavy bolter or upgrade to the heavy flamer to negate the poor ballistic skill of the scouts and give them a hefty boost just before they get into combat. I don't think I'd ever use the MM or Assault Cannon upgrades. They are just too expensive for this unit.

I think if it were me, I'd run:

LSS w/ Heavy Flamer

Scout squad x5

4 BP/CCW

Serg w/PF and Combi-flamer

-OR-

Serg w/ BP, PW and MBs

That's 170 or 155 depending on which Sergeant you choose.

Remember, the point of a Landspeeder Storm isn't to fly around and fire a Heavy Weapon; that's what regular Landspeeders are for. The Storm is there to augment a Scout Squad. Once you figure out what roll you have for your Scouts (usually anti-light infantry or anti-tank), you can figure out what your Landspeeder Storm needs.

What everyone else has said is great. The beauty of a heavy flamer is that BS3 has no impact on it. Even against MEQ, a S5 template will do some damage. The perfect tool for softening up the enemy before the scouts jump in boots first :P

RoV

Personally, I run my two with Assault Cannons. So far they've reaped a ridiculous tally. Yeah, they'll hit half the time, but the fact that they hit, pretty much guarantees a wound against most armies.

I can honestly say what sold me on the Assault Cannon setup was a game against Nids where on my second turn, the LSS hit all four times, and rended all four times on a Carnifex, annihilating the thing. Now, I know that's supremely lucky, but considering you can toss out that kind of damage with a Scout crewed vehicle is enough for me.

...That and the fact that I get the awesome imagine of a minigun just ripping stuff apart...

That heavy flamer is an amazing weapon to have on a fast vehicle with scout. What's not to love about an outflanking heavy flamer?

Alternatively, scout move up to an enemy held objective and flamer that annoying scout sniper squad off of it.

Storms rarely survive the first round of enemy shooting unless you outflank. AV10, open topped, and right in the enemies face if you've dropped off your scouts. Even strength 4 weapons can destroy it. So make sure your first turn with it counts.

That heavy flamer is an amazing weapon to have on a fast vehicle with scout. What's not to love about an outflanking heavy flamer?

Alternatively, scout move up to an enemy held objective and flamer that annoying scout sniper squad off of it.

Storms rarely survive the first round of enemy shooting unless you outflank. AV10, open topped, and right in the enemies face if you've dropped off your scouts. Even strength 4 weapons can destroy it. So make sure your first turn with it counts.

Oh, I know that they're screwed, just that I got a battleforce, so I wanted the scouts to be more manouverable. That, and if they firing at the speeder, they not shooting my scouts. Also I figured I'd go with the storm cuz it's an awesome looking model.

yup +1 to ryjak..

my 2 favourite builds are:

LSS with heavy flamer

scouts with combi-flamer and fist

LSS with multi-melta

scouts with combi-melta and meltabombs

isn't that 2nd one ridiculous overkill?

yup +1 to ryjak..

my 2 favourite builds are:

LSS with heavy flamer

scouts with combi-flamer and fist

LSS with multi-melta

scouts with combi-melta and meltabombs

there is no such thing as overkill, let alone ridiculous overkill.

Remember that the LSS is BS3.. i ususally take this unit to deal with AV13/14.. i disembark and fire the sergeant first, if he damages the vehicle sufficently then i target something else with the storm, the longer range of the MM over the combi helps alot..

Really? Because I make it that 4 meltas at BS4 will take out 1.04 (5 will take out 1.30) land raiders on average. So how does 2 meltas, one being at BS3, and meltabombs reliably take it out? Especially when moving.

I've crunched the numbers and it comes out at 47% when the raider has moved less then 6", 56% chance when it hasn't moved. Not denying how effective it is, I've seen it in action, just saying, it's not a ridiculous amount of overkill.

I fully endorse the use of heavy flamers on Storms- theyre great against what should be one of the primary targets for a scout unit- lightly armored hordes.

That being said, statistics can be thrown out the back window when it comes to a multimelta on BS 3- itll either do specatacularly or it wont do at all.

I ran my LSS for the first time last Friday in a 1,500pt game. It was outfitted with MM, with CCW scouts riding in back, sergeant with a Power Fist, Melta Bombs and a Combi-Melta.

I got first turn. I Scout-moved within twelve of my opponent's Land Raider Ultima, swept in real close next turn so the rest of his army couldn't get a shot at my Speeder from the other side of the tank, and the combined fire from the MM and Combi-Melta crippled it; it was a formality to actually kill it with the melta bombs.

Of course the guys riding inside hopped out and ripped my Scouts apart in his turn. But he had to bring in ANOTHER unit to deal with the Storm, effectively tying up two units for a whole turn - two, seeing as my sergeant survived and power-fisted a couple of his Marines into the great beyond.

I paid 170 points for the LSS and her passengers.

I defy you to tell me the MM wasn't a good purchase.

Really? Because I make it that 4 meltas at BS4 will take out 1.04 (5 will take out 1.30) land raiders on average. So how does 2 meltas, one being at BS3, and meltabombs reliably take it out? Especially when moving.

I've crunched the numbers and it comes out at 47% when the raider has moved less then 6", 56% chance when it hasn't moved. Not denying how effective it is, I've seen it in action, just saying, it's not a ridiculous amount of overkill.

You're right; that's what I get for doing it in my head, instead of with Excel.

I ran my LSS for the first time last Friday in a 1,500pt game. It was outfitted with MM, with CCW scouts riding in back, sergeant with a Power Fist, Melta Bombs and a Combi-Melta.

I got first turn. I Scout-moved within twelve of my opponent's Land Raider Ultima, swept in real close next turn so the rest of his army couldn't get a shot at my Speeder from the other side of the tank, and the combined fire from the MM and Combi-Melta crippled it; it was a formality to actually kill it with the melta bombs.

Of course the guys riding inside hopped out and ripped my Scouts apart in his turn. But he had to bring in ANOTHER unit to deal with the Storm, effectively tying up two units for a whole turn - two, seeing as my sergeant survived and power-fisted a couple of his Marines into the great beyond.

I paid 170 points for the LSS and her passengers.

I defy you to tell me the MM wasn't a good purchase.

No problem. How many points was that unit? 155? You could do pretty much the same thing with three MM Attack Bikes. Actually, the bikes are more reliable. The difference is the Scouts can do their thing turn one.

No problem. How many points was that unit? 155? You could do pretty much the same thing with three MM Attack Bikes. Actually, the bikes are more reliable. The difference is the Scouts can do their thing turn one.

I disagree for the reason you said, the bikes cant get close enough to do damage until turn two, by which time they are molten slag.. when you get first turn with this MM LSS unit there is little defence other than hiding the LR at the back or reserving it.

Either way killing it first turn means more time for the unit inside to have to footslog

Archived