Rules suggestion for my Lord

Hello :) I know that we're in the age of people using '...count-as miniatures' (e.g. this counts as abaddon, etc); for the Lord in my Chaos Marine army the Legion of Taurus I felt that none of the available characters in the current CSM Codex really captured the feel I wanted. In standard games I use him just as a normal Chaos Lord, but for games where I have my opponent's permission I wanted to use my own.

I'd appreciate any thoughts/feedback/suggestions with regards to my ideas, I've tried to give a break down of how I reached the rules that I've come up with.

Oh, and if you've not seen the commander of my Chaos Marine army, here he is, Lord Charkaradon:

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c274/firestorm40k/Legion%20of%20Taurus/Charkaradon_pip_15-07_1.jpg

I'll post a full background piece on him when he's finished - but for now here's the breakdown of the rules I've got for him:

Lord Charkaradon, Chosen Herald of Tauran - 230 points

Wargear: Terminator Armour, Combi-weapon, Blade of Burning Fury

Special Rules: Chosen Herald of Tauran, Will of the Bull

Chosen Herald of Tauran: Charkaradon has been marked for greatness by his Master, Tauran: he is the commander of the Bull-headed God’s Armies, the executor of the daemon’s will. He will let nothing stop him fulfilling his masters plan, and he has the protection of the dark gods to ensure he will.

Charkaradon has the Eternal Warrior universal special rule, and has a 4+ invulnerable save.

The Blade of Burning Fury: Gifted to the commander of Tauran’s armies, this sword was forged by daemons and feeds on the wielders growing battle-fury, shearing through all but the thickest of armour.

The Blade of Burning Fury is a Two-handed Power Weapon that grants Charkaradon +2 Strength.

Will of the Bull: Charkaradon’s leadership owes as much to his persuasive oratory as it does to the ruthless discipline that one would expect of a Lord of Chaos. He can convince his troops to stand firm in the face of defeat, to fight with renewed fury in the name of their master, and has even been able to persuade the troops of the enemy to forsake their vows to the Emperor and follow Tauran.

Any friendly unit within 12” of Charkaradon gains the Stubborn and Counter Attack universal special rules. In addition, any enemy unit that wishes to assault Charkaradon must pass a leadership test before it can do so.

So here's the break down:

He's a Chaos Lord with Terminator Armour, and a Combi-weapon.

On top of that there's the Blade which I've costed at 20 points - it's better than a power weapon, but doesn't give the full attacks boost of a Daemon weapon, nor it's unreliability.

The Chosen... rule I've costed at 40 points, seeing as it combines the current benefits of a Mark of Tzeentch (+1 to invulnerable save), and the Eternal Warrior rules - based on Rune of the Gods (? think that was it's name) from the last Chaos Codex.

Finally, the Will... rule I've costed at 40 points too - giving surrounding sqauds Stubborn and Counter Attack, and making opponents take a Leadership test when they want to assault. This is the one that I think might be under-costed for the benefits it gives.

At the end of the day, I wanted a character that wasn't just powerful at fighting, but brings something that benefits at least some of the rest of my army - which, let's face it, is one of the biggest drawbacks with our Codex compared to the other recent ones (SM & IG especially).

Thanks for looking, and thanks for any feedback! :P

I'd make the sword the same cost as a demon weapon. Gains +1 stregth over the unmarked lord, loses the bonus attacks, but will never hit himself with the weapon.

Will of the Bull I also think you have undercosted. I'd make him about 250-260ish.

Reduce the area of Will of the Bull to 6" and the points will be fine and the effect not too gamebreaking, but still very effective. Or you leave it at 12" but change it so, that your General can give this benefits to one unit in this area per round (he can't shout to everyone around him at the same time after all). Other than that, I think he is fine.

Thank you all for your constructive suggestions, they have all been very useful :)

I'd make the sword the same cost as a demon weapon. Gains +1 stregth over the unmarked lord, loses the bonus attacks, but will never hit himself with the weapon.

Oh, for some reason I thought that it was +2 strength, whoops! B) So I think you're right, I'll put it back up to 25 points.

Will of the Bull I also think you have undercosted.
Reduce the area of Will of the Bull to 6" and the points will be fine and the effect not too gamebreaking, but still very effective. Or you leave it at 12" but change it so, that your General can give this benefits to one unit in this area per round (he can't shout to everyone around him at the same time after all).

I think Kythos has the answer - I like the idea of limiting it to one unit, like you say it's a general's orders and he can only concentrate on one unit at a time.

I'd make him about 250-260ish.

So, after the revisions from your suggestions, I will go for 250 points. Does that sound fair now?

Thanks again for all your comments! B)

first of all, I think Charkaradon looks amazing! Secondly I think the points total of 250 is pretty good, as is reducing the will of the bull to 6"! Cuz hes not as powerful as abaddon, but doesn't suffer from instant death.

Also is his sword +1 or +2 strength now? Cuz you could make it +1 Strength with Rending & still keep it at 25pts, as i think it would fit better with his character is abit more balanced!

Once i get round to building Vladvar in terminator amour I was thinking of using him as a count as abaddon, but now you got me thinking about my own custom rules for him!

first of all, I think Charkaradon looks amazing!

Thanks very much Vladvar! :)

Secondly I think the points total of 250 is pretty good, as is reducing the will of the bull to 6"! Cuz hes not as powerful as abaddon, but doesn't suffer from instant death.

Also is his sword +1 or +2 strength now? Cuz you could make it +1 Strength with Rending & still keep it at 25pts, as i think it would fit better with his character is abit more balanced!

Hey, that's a good idea giving it rending - I think I'll do that then; keep it at +1 strength but make it rending too. Nasty! :devil:

Once i get round to building Vladvar in terminator amour I was thinking of using him as a count as abaddon, but now you got me thinking about my own custom rules for him!

I say go for it, as I've said Chaos are lacking in characters that add something to the rest of the army, unlike Marines or Guard. I'll be interested to see what you come up with.

No problem! Glad ya like the rending :D Any chace you could post his revised rules?

Sure, I've posted them in my Legion of Taurus log thread :HQ:

I'll link ya to the post once i do it! 1 thing i will do is give him a chapter trait rule, so my IWs have have their siege spec skill back!

That sounds perfect, I'm sure the many other Iron Warriors players will approve :)

I'll link ya to the post once i do it! 1 thing i will do is give him a chapter trait rule, so my IWs have have their siege spec skill back!

you get SB's Seal of Approval :P

gallery_38604_3113_16058.jpg

...back to the point :P

250 seems good, not the instopable combat king (abaddon) and not a normal lord which would be an understatemant for the leader of your force. i also agree with rending rule because lets face it for 250 points you can get a land raider or almost abaddon so something that allows him to keep up but not be as awesome deserves that.

If you wanted to keep the two-handed sword at just +2 strength, you can make it cost as much as a the Space Marine Relic Blade at 30pts (2-handed power weapon at str. 6).

Reduce the area of Will of the Bull to 6" and the points will be fine and the effect not too gamebreaking, but still very effective. Or you leave it at 12" but change it so, that your General can give this benefits to one unit in this area per round (he can't shout to everyone around him at the same time after all). Other than that, I think he is fine.

I think the first one would be good because the latter Kythnos suggested might make some people confused. 6" to all units compared to 12" to one unit would be a little simpler.

Archived