Jespers Marine project

Sixtyten

This is my first img post here on this forum. So tell me if Im doing something wrong. Thanks

Anyhow.

I started a new marine project. First I tought of BA but threw that idea. Whanted something cooler and more original.

Even tough I have a smurf army I never liked the cartoonish look of marines. The mission was to capture the eeling in John Blanches artwork and the concept of marines as stated in the big black book "Adeptus Astartes-The Angels of Death".

This is the first one. Going to add battle damage, dirt and blood on sword when I get the tamiya teq right.

Things I need feedback on -

The brown. Darker? More red? More Yellow? Donno. It feels ok but not spot on.

The right pad. Insignia. Nope, not going for classic big arrows. More military like imp guards.

Painting in general

http://www.svenska40k.se/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1933

http://www.svenska40k.se/forum/download/file.php?id=333

Thank you for any input.

aIt really sickens me!

Seemingly everyone is better painter than me... Why, whatever.

I like your painting scheme - and if you don't want those straight arrows, what about adding icons fitting your background story? For example, if they are desert-based marines (as your almost-camo style suggests), assault marines could bear the image of a scorpion. Tactical squads have to be able to adopt to various situations, so why not making them look like jackals?

Whatever you decide to do - tell me how you did that lighting effect THIS INSTANT! ^^

Did you paint one single line or was the reflection highlighted, too?

P.S.: please don't weather them! This guy looks beautiful the way he is.

aIt really sickens me!

Seemingly everyone is better painter than me... Why, whatever.

I like your painting scheme - and if you don't want those straight arrows, what about adding icons fitting your background story? For example, if they are desert-based marines (as your almost-camo style suggests), assault marines could bear the image of a scorpion. Tactical squads have to be able to adopt to various situations, so why not making them look like jackals?

Whatever you decide to do - tell me how you did that lighting effect THIS INSTANT! ^^

Did you paint one single line or was the reflection highlighted, too?

P.S.: please don't weather them! This guy looks beautiful the way he is.

Tanks Rogan for the pos input. Really need it.

Jackals and scorpions sound interesting. Ill have to work more with the background first tough. But I like to keep them more Imperial rather than an seperate chapter. Thinking about an small imperial eagle and the squad number on the lower part of the pad.

The lightning. As with all test minis Im pretty messy when I paint but -

the thing with white is that you can really just try to stick with the "lightness" of the shadeing. I first decided on the ground color, the shade of green/blue, to work with. I painted the eye and the radius that I wanted the light to shine. Then I highlighted both areas, armour and eye, as usual but only applying the last stages on the eye. Therefore not making the armour shine. Finished it with an thin stroke of white on the edge of the armour.

Tried to keep it subtile so it would be an extra spice rather than taking over the model.

PS Im stubborn when it comes to weathering so I know that, eventually, I will do it. Tough I must say that it kinda warms my heart to hear you say that :)

Thanks for the comment.

If you do insist on weathering, may I suggest that you do chipped armour this way?

He explains it this way:

thanks lexington, the battle damage is just the simple technique, basically a much darker shade of the armour is painted on, so in this case I jusrt mixed the Enchanted blue with chaos black, added it in spots over the armour, then you just highlight the lower edge with the highlight colour :)

Thank you

Archived