Throne of Lies

isilvra

My fav audio book form the black library to date, possibly with the exception of The Dark King but it's all midnight clad goodness right? I was pleased to see female characters, need a little variety to break up the Astartes menacing voices.

Octavia was well done, seems she’s well on her way down the path but did anyone else hear Dr Rush from Stargate universe? Septimus sounds almost exactly like him.

Bring on Fear the Alien, I hear there's more Night Lords!

What was revealing to me in this audiobook, was the love the Night Lords had for their father.

just to bad he hated every last one of them.

Something i've always wondered....

Most astartes took on the values of there primarch, Fulgrim and his quest for perfection being an example. So why were all the night lords criminals when there primarch was so concerned with order?

I know that night haunters brand of "order" would require people with a certain mindset but letting your legion become full of criminals seems counter productive to what he was trying to achieve.

Most astartes took on the values of there primarch, Fulgrim and his quest for perfection being an example. So why were all the night lords criminals when there primarch was so concerned with order?

I've always thought about this as a commentary on the rigid, top-heavy practices necessitated by draconian philosophies. Like you've said, it takes a certain personality to be an enforcer for such a system, one possessed of both a belief in a singular source of authority, and a sadistic streak. If the source of that authority disappears, what's to keep that personality type in line?

On a sort of related note, it seems like the more self-aware Night Lords would drop endless copies of Hobbes' Leviathan on cities, and hope that people 'got it'. ;)

What was revealing to me in this audiobook, was the love the Night Lords had for their father.

just to bad he hated every last one of them.

Something i've always wondered....

I know that night haunters brand of "order" would require people with a certain mindset but letting your legion become full of criminals seems counter productive to what he was trying to achieve.

They weren't all criminals, it wasn't until Curze was removed from Nostramo that the criminal element entered the Legion. Many older Legionnaires scorned the newer recruits (e.g. as in Nightfall).

And the fact that he had a split personality disorder 'the size' of Terra didn't exactly help things.

I've yet to pick up Throne of Lies but I hope that it will be as good as, or better, than The Dark King.

I think so far A D-B has written more about the "old guard" Night Lords, introduced to the Legion early on, who were still entirely dedicated to their Primarch and feel they were the ones being betrayed by the Emperor. IIRC A D-B wanted to highlight different points of view within the Legion throughout the course of his Night Lord novels. So in the next book we might see a few Night Lords who are not quite as delusional about the actions of the Nigh Lords during the later stages of the Great Crusade.

Archived