Planning a Night Lords army

Hey everyone, I'm not a new comer here, but I have long since forgotten my old handle that I used to use, in any case, with the upcoming release of the new daemon prince, I have taken a renewed interest in 40k and especially CSMs.

I know that I want to take a Daemon Prince with wings for my HQ (because he'll look sexy and be an effective shock unit)

I might grab a Raptor Lord to help improve the Raptor unit (see below).

I'm probably going to grab a unit of Chosen (for Infiltrate/Outflank, just because of the fluffyness of Night Lords attacking from unexpected places)

Of course I'm going to take at least 2 units of 10 CSMs w/ AC (without icons due to Night Lords not worshipping Chaos, just being aligned with it)

I would be crazy not to add at least a 5-man unit of Raptors w/ AC (What can I say, I'm a fluff hound)

Now, my main concern really boils down to what should my prince's skin color be? I'm think it should be black highlighted with grey.

Any suggestions/feedback would be greatly appreciated, I've always been in love with the Night Lords (ever since I read Lord of the Night).

Hey everyone, I'm not a new comer here, but I have long since forgotten my old handle that I used to use.
PM an admin, having multiple accounts is violating the board rules. :)

I know that I want to take a Daemon Prince with wings for my HQ
Our most effective HQ, good choice.

I might grab a Raptor Lord to help improve the Raptor unit.
Not the best of choices, but it is a unit that looks good on the table and many will think Raptors = Night Lords.

I'm probably going to grab a unit of Chosen (for Infiltrate/Outflank, just because of the fluffyness of Night Lords attacking from unexpected places)
Chosen can work, if they are supported, I find that a single unsupported and expensive unit won't do much and it won't scare anyone.

Of course I'm going to take at least 2 units of 10 CSMs w/ AC (without icons due to Night Lords not worshipping Chaos, just being aligned with it)
Good call, you may want to go with a 3rd unit as well as having only two scoring units is, tricky.

I would be crazy not to add at least a 5-man unit of Raptors w/ AC (What can I say, I'm a fluff hound)
That is 3.5 ed. fluff mind you. The Night Lords are much more than that.

Now, my main concern really boils down to what should my prince's skin color be? I'm think it should be black highlighted with grey.
Try this you can substitute Gimp for Photoshop if you don't have it. It makes deciding a lot easier. Personally though, I think that you should go with black, shaded (yes shaded!) with a very dark blue, highlighted with a 50-50 mix of shadow grey-chaos black mix.

My 2 Kraks

A termicide converted unit could be a fluffy night lords idea. Just make some 'buffed' out marines , or use the large bases for standard marines.

It also represents the idea of them leaping out from covering and destroying a key target before (hopefully) retreating. Also taking a unit of the minimum size ( 3 models ) represents the rarity of the Night Lords.

represents the rarity of the Night Lords.
What rarity would that be? Are you thinking of Soul Hunter's 10th company etc?

There seemed to be quite a lot of them both in the EoT campaign + Gothic War and in Lord of the Night.

I remembered reading that after the heresy they became elite infiltration units and where hired out in small numbers by different warbands? I remember Huron hired some of them for taking the marine Errant's Fortress and stealing their gene seed stocks.

But , hey Correct me if I'm wrong.

Like all GW fluff it's pretty inconsistent. Back in the "golden age" there was nothing rare about Night Lords and they participated more or less as a legion during the 13th Crusade. They had Acerbus, Pereclitor, Gorsameth and even a "fleet master" named Tarriq Darkblood who apparently lead their fleet implying some measure of cohesion among them.

Anyway, yes A D-B's 10th Company is pretty small, but that does not mean that all NE warbands are small. Even in Soul Hunter, it's implied that the captain of the Hunter's Premonition has a vastly larger force and Acerbus's force is even larger still. I would guess that like most legions, the largest warbands would be at least as large as a loyalist chapter.

Also, instead of a lord perhaps you should consider a sorceror? Warptime and his force weapon are fairly good against IC's and even MC's because of the wound rerolls, and gift of chaos while not great is one of the most fun powers in the game in my opinion. Also sorcs are very fluffy for NL as they have quite a few and their sorcerors are generally plagued by the same fatalistic visions that Kurze had. Also I recommend you read Nightfall in Heroes of the Space Marines as it features a really unique NL sorceror that could make for an awesome conversion.

• 3 weeks later...

I have recently began collecting the pieces needed to begin the construction of my raptor heavy Night Lords army. I do not mean to 'highjack' this thread by any means, but can somebody here point me in a direction of information, and perhaps threads dedicated to Konrad Curze and his ilk??!!

I have began to shave the wings from the Tyranid Gargoyles and attach then to the CSM backpacks already. Plus I have fifteen Berserkers of Khorne leg bits to give the unit a much needed look of flight in progress.

I am having a local artist paint my lord in Termi armor with grey-ish skin tones as to simulate a vampire like man who lives within a place void of daylight.

I'll post pictures when I get him back if that is alright. Same goes with the conversions I am working on.

-R_P_R

can somebody here point me in a direction of information, and perhaps threads dedicated to Konrad Curze and his ilk??!!

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...showarticle=232

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...howtopic=131113

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...showarticle=258

Archived