Does Force Dome protect transports?

smurf_m4n

hey i don't know quite where to put this, i'm new to this forum, so i thought i would just try a general discussion.

i was reading over some rules for libarian psychic powers and i got curious about whether or not force dome gives vehicles a 5+ save aswell? I guess what i'm really asking is does a libarian count as being with a vehicle when he is embarked in it and it sais "with a unit"?

going to put my head out on this one: I would say yes since in spearhead there is an upgrade that gives tanks an invunerable save so I would assume since he is with the rhino then it would get the save. (would make sense, gives the tank added protection as to reach it's destination!).

I'd say no, since it affects the unit the librarian is with, idependent characters can't join vehicle units as far as I know.

This. It only affects the Librarian, and any unit he has joined. You do not "join" a transport, you embark upon it. The Librarian (and his unit) can fire at a separate unit from inside the transport (provided it has fire points), and are never considered the "same" unit.

ICs cannot join vehicle units, as well. So no, you can't join your Librarian to a Dread and give it a 5+ invulnerable.

While I would agree that RAW says no, it's a reasonable enough interpretation of the way the ability "works" (fluff-wise) that I would probably be willing to let someone do it. Then again, I'm not bothered with winning or game balance, I'm just having a good time... so YMMV on whether or not people would be OK with it.

Personally I think it does, but there appears to be a small subsection of the 40k-playing population who agree that the power gives the vehicles a cover save, but then says that they have no way to use that save... :wallbash:

Personally I think it does, but there appears to be a small subsection of the 40k-playing population who agree that the power gives the vehicles a cover save, but then says that they have no way to use that save... :lol:

Leonaides, show that person that on BA official GW FAQ there is a point:

"Does shoud of sanguinius effect vehicles?" - YES

maybe it's not the precise wording because i don't remeber atm and i'm lazy to check, but more clear than so it's difficoult :D

The issue is not that the unit doenst have the cover save, but that there is no proviso for a vehicle to use a cover save - they can only get an obscured save (or something like that - some daft linguistic slip that calls a vehicle cover save something else). Again, I see no reason why it wouldnt work as per infantry, but thought it ought to be mentioned as there may well be an annoying person just waiting at the next table to call you on it and its best to be prepared IMO.

The issue is not that the unit doenst have the cover save, but that there is no proviso for a vehicle to use a cover save - they can only get an obscured save (or something like that - some daft linguistic slip that calls a vehicle cover save something else). Again, I see no reason why it wouldnt work as per infantry, but thought it ought to be mentioned as there may well be an annoying person just waiting at the next table to call you on it and its best to be prepared IMO.

except that the BRB says that the obscured save is a cover save (important, when you are being shot at by heavy flamers (grumble)).

so, the BRB clearly indicates that vehicles can indeed take cover saves if allowed

Archived