Nightbringer

greetings brothers.

I recently had a 2000pts battle against a necron army where this chap deployed a 'nightbringer'.

I deployed a mixed army mainly made up of DW/RW with Sammy/Bilial as HQ's with GW support, as we were playing a capture game.

my brother was with me (recently returned from afgainstan... Ragnar blood giver) who said to me; stay away from him and phase them out.

so I use my DW/RW too attack enmass against his troops, and by 3rd I had won.

hoo ha...

now a debate started as my bro told the other player that he used an overpowered unit for such a game, and with him being a wolf player said Njal in CC with WG would have taken the NB...?

it actually started a debate in the shop as Njal hits on a 2+ against deamons...

and herein; is the question as I want my own advice from you all.

what is the NB? a deamon or monster creature etc.

first time I fought Necs so any advice greatefully recieved..

As far as I know, the Nightbringer is neither but just an independent character. In fact, I don't think his model is that big either like the size of a SM or Eldar hero but I could be totally wrong as I have never seen a Necron army on the table.

"Daemon" is not a unit type. Daemons can be MCs. Nightbringer is an MC but I do not believe the Necron dex makes mention anywhere of any of it's units being daemons. Daemons from their own codex and summoned Daemons from the Chaos Marine codex seem pretty obviously daemons. The Eldar Avatar is apparently also a daemon.

Fluff-wise, the Nightbringer does not owe it's origins to the warp, as a daemon does, but rather the material world. Further evidence that they are not daemons from the warp:

"The major weakness of the C'tan is their inability to comprehend the warp. It is speculated that they find it impossible to survive in it and are particularly susceptible to warp spawned magics and psykers. They had a plan to block off the warp forever in an attempt to remove their single greatest threat."

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/C%27tan#Ot..._of_the_C.27tan

It is also noted that daemons are spawns of their respective chaos god. The c'tan were conceived before even the chaos gods, and are referenced as gods themselves.

The Nightbringer is not a daemon, goes before Njal wounds on a 2+ and causes instant death with no save for you... With the old 13th company list I took 4 wounds from the Nightbringer with a Wolf Guard squad leader with a powerfist in 1 turn of combat... but he was able to get 8 attacks in one turn... so yes enough guys can beat him in combat... as for being over-powered... he is a lot of points and you know what he is going to do... and you now have 15 less warriors or whatever to worry about... yer he kicks things in but he is slow and lowers the number of cons you need for a phase out.... yes Njal and wolfguard can kill him... provided you have fists or hammes but I would say if he is at full health... you are going to need a lot of them... as he will kill 3 or 4 a turn before you strike... half of your attacks will miss, half will fail to wound and he will save half of those that wound... He is much like a Monolith... big and scary... can be a pain in the ass but if you ignore it and reek as much destruction as possible you should be fine... some people are even happy when the C'tan are taken...

indeed, The nightbringer is a C'Tan, and C'tan are not Deamons, but stargods (at least till necrons get their update, where it is rumored the fluff will change making them exceptionaly powerfull, but insane, necron lords). Njal would not wound the Nightbringer on a 2+. Either way, they are monsterous creatures, and they have a lot of their own special rules, as well as each C'tan's (well there are only two of em) own person rules.

The Nightbringer is NOT a Daemon, the only special rule that would apply to it for a SW character would be the Saga of the Beastslayer or Oath of War.

As for what he is, he is an Independent Character who is unable to join friendly units, as per codex necrons pg. 29

Checking the FAQ: mentions nothing about the C'tans unit type et all. So it remains a monstrous creature/independent character.

On a side note they are not imune to instant death (except that cuased by wraith cannons). So if you have a way to do that its pretty funny (might of the ancents+force weapon for example)

An allied-in Grey Knight Grandmaster can do the job even better, on account of having more attacks at higher initiative. I actually managed to pull that off once, and the expression on the Necron player's face was priceless.

Thanks all....

not sure why it was not relevent to the DA forum I was using my DA army, but no pros...

but I was going to ask this as my brother harps on saying that there is nothing in the DA armoury that could have taken on the NB in CC and survived, hence him saying stay away and phase out the troops.

think he's jealous really as you have to be good looking to wear green, and all he is; is a shaggie haired pup.... no offence meant wolf players its a running joke between us.

that instant death rule came up aswell, I get the feeling that the nec player did not fully understand his own dex.

but thanks again guys for the assist.

oh and the GK thing, i'm sure I read in these forums that they can't ally now, is that so?

As far as I know, the Nightbringer is neither but just an independent character. In fact, I don't think his model is that big either like the size of a SM or Eldar hero but I could be totally wrong as I have never seen a Necron army on the table.

Just to clarify the NB isn't the same size as a SM or Eldar hero. It is taller then a Dreadnought

Just to clarify the NB isn't the same size as a SM or Eldar hero. It is taller then a Dreadnought

Well to be fair, the actual body of the guy is only about the size of a phoneix lord, but yes hes a good 6-7 inches tall.

Or in other words- one of the local necron players modified a Wraithlord into him.

Archived