290 points against nids

Xephis

Alright, so there is a league where i play, and a guy is trying to knock me out of my spot through a 290 point game, only requirement is you need 1 troop.

I am sure he is going to field a tervigon and a squad of termigaunts.

I am lost on a good strategy against this. One idea i had was fielding a 5 man CSM squad and holding them in a LR, but i'm not sure how affective that will be.

Any thoughts on how i can deal with this would be truly appreciated.

First thing that came to mind:

5 CSM

Champ /w fist

2x Melta gun

Rhino

-

5 CSM

2x Flamer

Rhino

-

Drive around and shoot at him to soften him up -> drive-bys. The melta squad targets the Tervigon, the flamer squad stays close for support and flames 'Gants when passing.

He has to come to you and he has to open the Rhinos somehow, leaving you to disembark and crush whatever wrecked the Rhino, if he wrecks one that is.

A Tervigon has a ~23% chance of 'running dry' each round. Still, worst case scenario means you'll be staring at 80+ 'Gants.

Kill the Tervigon asap.

You can also swap the flamer squad for a 3 man Terminator squad with 2 fists, a combi-melta and a Heavy Flamer.

Or,

5 CSM

Champ /w fist, Combi-flamer

Flamer

-

6 Chaos Havocs

2 Autocannons

2 Heavy Bolters

-

Hang back (in cover if possible), plug away at the Tervigon as it advances, use the First squad as a counter assault unit.

I say go with Berzerkers, Power Fist and either a Rhino or more bodies.

Even with the upgrades, you'll be hitting first on 3's and wounding easily if you get the charge in which will be key. You also have the numbers to weather a fairly long battle, just aim your Power Fist at the big guy when you get within range.

The other option is to do the same kind of thing with Plague Marines, but rely on their T5/FnP to basically ignore the little guys and Power Fist through the big one. Flamers and a Rhino would been needed though.

good ideas. Would 2 oblits be more effective than the havoc squad i wonder?

Yes, I think so. Don't forget that they have weapons beyond Lascannons and Plasma Cannons.

TL Flamers will remove big chunks of the little guys and a TL Plasmagun @ 12" will take off 1-2 wounds each. Plus the Power Fist will help against the big guy if you do get assaulted.

How exactly does the twin linked flamer work anyway?

And my main idea would be hanging back and shooting til he gets to me. The oblits lascannons would be wonderful at getting him while he slowly makes his way to me.

Do you know what psychic powers he will give to the tervigon? In such a low point game he probably wont add catalyst and/or onslaught but may give sacs and glands to the tervi so the gaunts within 6" will also have them. But adding in either power is 15 points and are really nice to have. FNP on a squad and giving a squad the ability to run and shoot is hot. Most likely he'll keep the tervigon in back popping out gaunts until he rolls doubles. Nids are my main army so I would say run this

5 CSM with flamer + champ with combi-flamer in a rhino 155

Pred with TL-Lascannon and Heavy Bolter Sponsons 135

Keep the CSMs in the rhino. The gaunts wont really be able to kill it. Use the fire point to hit them with the flamer. Keep the pred back and just LC the tervi to death. Its got 6 wounds yes but no Inv save. But he may pop FNP on himself (if he takes the power). Pour enough shots into the tervi and it will die fast.

Just my $.02

And dont forget, that fire point allows up to TWO marines to fire from it. flamers though, i think are used at the edge of the vehicle since you cant cover your own models with your own template. at least, thats how we play it at our group.

And fallenbournes plan sounds like a very successful one to me.just make sure to keep your vehicles moving if he gets within move and charge range, and depending on powers, fleet range also. move 6 to make em need 4's to hit at least.

Yes, I would certainly put at least 2 oblits in there. Put your CSM behind them as a "Firing Line" and wait for them to come to you picking off things here and there. Maybe, if you want to go more specified, take some PM's to stay healthy longer with a special weapon. I don't have my dex, so I don't remember the points.

I like Brother Nihm's list with the havocs, but I would use Missile Launchers instead of autocannons. In case the tervigon pumps out a bunch of gaunts before being exhausted, you have a few templates to toss around, and can still use krak missiles to shoot at the tervigon.

Archived