Dark Angel Assault Marine Test Mini

Celestin

He's a little bit plain, and the pics are a bit blurry, but he's a test mini for a full squad and thus might receive more swag later, and I'm not a photography expert. Definitely looking for C&C before proceeding with the rest of the squad.

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

**EDIT**

Changed the images to links as they were quite large (in regards to both pixel and file size) and some of our members are not necessarily on high speed internet.

Nice use of Maximini parts and the freehand shoulderpad looks wicked.

My only real gripe is that I cant see Assault Marines being in robes. Too much chance for it to catch on something or be set on fire from the exhaust :cuss

Nice use of Maximini parts and the freehand shoulderpad looks wicked.

My only real gripe is that I cant see Assault Marines being in robes. Too much chance for it to catch on something or be set on fire from the exhaust :D

Thank you for the comment!

Valid point about the robes, though I figure that since they appear to be gas turbines, they'd likely be less hot and also less fiery than modern jump-packs (and certainly less so than certain forms of promethium dispensers), and that if Dark Angels don't wear fireproof robes, they're likely having them burnt to a crisp within the first few minutes of combat anyway.

Also, re: freehanding, I'm actually considering adding a company symbol both on the free side of his jump pack and his free greave. The one on the jump pack would be larger and probably incorporate additional iconography. Thoughts?

That seals it: time for me to get the JPs. I wanted to see them on a model first and this is it. Good show!

I had actually seen them on a pre-heresy DA assault squad, using the same helmet, and really liked the design, but wanted to take it a step further. So I'm doing mine up as having a modified form of Corvus pattern power armour, implying that the suits date to right after the Heresy, when older model jump packs would have been available, but also when the Dark Angels were kinda last to get in line for new power armour, and likely would have received a lot of experimental suits as the Adeptus Mechanicus prepared to transition from Corvus to Aquila. (Hey, does this sound like anything familiar to any of you?)

I like it a lot. I do have a few suggestions for improvement, but these are primarily down to personal taste and perhaps the fact that I can't see all of the detail on the miniature.

The icon on the right shoulder pad really draws the eye as it's red. That's fine, but I would either paint it a darker red or white so that it stands out but complements the robes. Conversely, I don't think the head stands out quite well enough. Bright red eyes would look good there and draw the eye. Perhaps also a little more highlighting on the metal on the helmet might also make it 'pop' more. But this is really minor stuff and the free-hand is excellent!

I like it a lot. I do have a few suggestions for improvement, but these are primarily down to personal taste and perhaps the fact that I can't see all of the detail on the miniature.

The icon on the right shoulder pad really draws the eye as it's red. That's fine, but I would either paint it a darker red or white so that it stands out but complements the robes. Conversely, I don't think the head stands out quite well enough. Bright red eyes would look good there and draw the eye. Perhaps also a little more highlighting on the metal on the helmet might also make it 'pop' more. But this is really minor stuff and the free-hand is excellent!

Hmm, I can certainly try brightening the red of the eye lenses, but the point of the red symbol is to mark him as a veteran. (Notice that it's a broken sword) I can also give highlighting the metal a try, but this will all probably be on the next mini, and then I'll go back to fix this one if it turns out better.

Speaking of the next mini... which should I do first?

• Sergeant with 2-handed power weapon.
  • Marine with bionic arm, plasma pistol and chainsword.
  • Marine with plasma pistol and chainsword.
  • Marine with two hand flamers.

Archived