Soul Hunter and Lord of Night

I wanted to get the general consensus from the rest of the B&C's Night Lord fans on the following matter: It appears that according to Lord of Night and Soul Hunter, the Legion is divided into two schools of thought. One, Chaos is an aberrant force and should not be tangled with. Doing so not only weakens the person in question, but the Legion as a whole. Two, Chaos is a tool and should be used accordingly. How large are the individual factions? Both Lord of Night and Soul Hunter suggest that the faction that views Chaos as an aberrant force is a small faction. Soul Hunter seems to make it out to be

that the faction, though small, is growing.

What are your guys' thoughts on the matter? Are most Night Lord warbands Chaos worshipers or are they midnight clad without the taint of Chaos? How big do you think the remaining Legion is as a whole? Again Soul Hunter makes the Legion out to be shattered individual warbands with no reference to Legion strength with the exception of the 10th company. I've been mulling this over my head for a few days now and am wanting to get some thoughts/feedback from the rest of you.

The reason why I ask is after reading Soul Hunter and A Thousand Sons, I've been contemplating a massive shift in direction with my Index Traitoris: The Nephilim. The rest, in that regard, I'm going to keep to myself.

Generally, the Night Lords do not really worship Chaos, but they see it as a tool that can be used. There may be gradings among the different warbands. Some might frequently make pacts with the dark powers and over the millennia have been corrupted too much to really go back. Othery might still refuse to make any serious pacts and only turn to the dark forces in a few rare circumstances, unless they can avoid it.

Night Lords warbands openly and fully worshiping Chaos on the one hand, or not wanting to have anything to do with it on the other hand, are a bit too extreme in my opinion. They will all use Chaos powers in one way or another, some more often, some not that much. But it is unlikely that one faction of them is entirely dedicated, or one that is refusing to have anything to do with Chaos at all.

I think that generally, the N...

Generally, the Night Lords do not really worship Chaos, but they see it as a tool that can be used. There may be gradings among the different warbands. Some might frequently make pacts with the dark powers and over the millennia have been corrupted too much to really go back. Othery might still refuse to make any serious pacts and only turn to the dark forces in a few rare circumstances, unless they can avoid it.

Night Lords warbands openly and fully worshiping Chaos on the one hand, or not wanting to have anything to do with it on the other hand, are a bit too extreme in my opinion. They will all use Chaos powers in one way or another, some more often, some not that much. But it is unlikely that one faction of them is entirely dedicated, or one that is refusing to have anything to do with Chaos at all.

Goddamnit, Legatus.

Say it anyway, ADB. I just finished Soul Hunter two days ago; I read it in one day, which I find funny because I got it in the same package with Path of the Warrior, which as an Eldar fanboy I've been looking forward to since it was announced, and that one took me three days.

As a published author of Night Lords, I'm sure there's some extra little tidbit you can add to Legatus' point of view.

What are your guys' thoughts on the matter? Are most Night Lord warbands Chaos worshipers or are they midnight clad without the taint of Chaos? How big do you think the remaining Legion is as a whole? Again Soul Hunter makes the Legion out to be shattered individual warbands with no reference to Legion strength with the exception of the 10th company. I've been mulling this over my head for a few days now and am wanting to get some thoughts/feedback from the rest of you.

I personally think this is how all Chaos warbands are, and that it's the polarizing personalities of the big guys like Abaddon that pull them together into a force to fear, a force that's really reminiscent of how they were during the Heresy. Think of most of them as futuristic space pirates, small elite roving warbands that prey on far inferior targets and keep out of sight of true fighting forces until they band together or see a chance to take a good cheap shot at them.

As to Chaos taint and worship, I think it can sneak up on any of them. I see the Night Lords as going into it as a 'It's just a weapon, I'll be stronger than those other guys' and getting taken in just as well as a Khornate or Nurgle worshipper. If the warband is being lead by someone like Kreig or the Exalted then I think the rest of the company will be damned in rather quick order intentionally or not, while more 'puritan' warbands have to exist that still look down on the usage of Chaos as a weakness or folly. I can't give any numbers with certainty, but I think a 50/50 split would be worth hedging a bet on.

Archived