Ork super Nobz

Jarl Bloodwolf

What if you don't use Vindicators? What if it's dead? What if, what if what if?

You sometimes need a counter charge.

ok. But in what army would honor guard be a backup plan? I like honor guard an all, but honestly they aren't the best solution to this problem.

@GC08 - true. But I'd be willing to bet more people play vindicators then honor guard. I mean seriously, 115 point heavy choice, or ~300-400 point HQ? Which of those is a better suggestion for an 'all rounder'?

-Myst

I suppose not, since the Ork player has gone all out for an Uber unit and Honour Guard are best used in an all round army as a bully unit. I would use Honour Guard as a mop up to shooting the ^_^ out of it.

true. But I'd be willing to bet more people play vindicators then honor guard.

That is actually true! Of course, I want both, so will try and see if I can fit one into my Honour Guard list ;)

ive never used vindies, but have used honour guard... all im saying is anything goes.. rather than simply advocate one thing (like the vindy) as the way to deal with the problem, its best to look at other avenues too.

im playing an ork army tonight that will have nob bikers, i plan to use psycannons to get rid of them ;)

Not playing Wolves, if i knew it was coming i put a full 10m LOTD squad with NO up grades, it's what less that 315 points, DS turn two and let em fight ghosts for the next 5 turns.

or if you want to go uber star on him

Calgar+Tiggie+Vanguard w/x10 SS (add plasma pistols per taste, eye like x10 myself

supported by a couple of No upgrade dreads in pods

in fact, a couple of libby(s) in TDA w/ SS + 10 vanguards with x10 SS+ x10 PP oOo Nasty

ive never used vindies, but have used honour guard... all im saying is anything goes.. rather than simply advocate one thing (like the vindy) as the way to deal with the problem, its best to look at other avenues too.

im playing an ork army tonight that will have nob bikers, i plan to use psycannons to get rid of them :cuss

Did it work?

the high strenght helped, but as they have cover saves and FNP not really.. the incinerators would have been the better choice as they ignore cover and inv saves..

power weapons is the way to go, but against T5 youd need claws or relic blades, which is why GKt would be good at S6 and only allowing inv saves they would do alot of damage

I suppose not, since the Ork player has gone all out for an Uber unit and Honour Guard are best used in an all round army as a bully unit. I would use Honour Guard as a mop up to shooting the ;) out of it.

Agreed. Combo approach with multiple units is usually the best way to go about things. Can't think of a unit I'd rather have following up a bunch of shooting other than honor guard. I'm kind of in love with relic blade though and was thinking of putting a couple of them in the unit. S6 seems like it would go far against T5 nobs. Just like the GKT, I think S6 power weapons would chew through them.

As an aside, tactical terminators can do ok as a follow up unit. It is kind of mutual destruction because all the claws get to swing at the same time as you, but instakill power weapons are sweet. Also, the CML ingores FNP and armor so every hit kills 2/3 of a model.

-Myst

First off, the most nobs he can have is 10, and the painboy has to come from this number, so he should not have 11 nobs + boss + warphead. 2nd, this mob is weak compared to bikers, who will have a higher toughness, movement. 3rd, as Allerka can testify, 6 tooled nob bikers (+ painboy + warboss w/attack squig boss on bike charging (6 str 10) into 4 wounded thunderwolves can be over in one round if a saga of the bear runic armor wolf lord thunderhammer smacks the fresh warboss with his weak 5+ invul. That's 3 wounds right off that will go for combat resolution. Then your nobs get run down by wounded wolf lord and buds. Say goodbye to your 700 pts bikers. Happened to me saturday. Tha'ts how you beat large nob squads. Thunderhammer/stormshield thunderwolves. Also, medusa or even leman russ will ruin your nob's day fast/quick/and in a hurry. Krak misisels from longfangs tend to do it too.

Here is the ultimate SW deathstar unit. Logan, Ragnar, a unit of wolf guard with PW (or frost weapons if you want to be really mean) and a couple of PF. Put them in a LRC. Whatever this unit charges is dead. simply dead. Nothing can stand to the sheer amount of wounds you will cause that ignore armor saves. Logan gives the unit preffered enemy, ragnar gives furious charge and +D3 attacks on the charge. This unit is stupid expensive, like 1000 points expensive, but i heard you wanted to make a deathstar unit of you own to counter this ork sillyness.

I kind of live by a rule that if the counter is more expensive than the thing it's countering, it's not a very good counter.

Sure, we can build a mega-death-star (particularly out of SWolves) that costs like 1.5x as much as the Ork unit and win. I don't really find that very productive.

@Spear: Does the TH Wolflord have something that stops him striking last? If not, isn't the warboss killing all four of your thunderwolf cavalry on the same initiative, rendering the point somewhat moot?

@Spear: Does the TH Wolflord have something that stops him striking last? If not, isn't the warboss killing all four of your thunderwolf cavalry on the same initiative, rendering the point somewhat moot?

I presume he has them both in base contact, so the Warboss has to target the Wolf Lord.

Yeah the warboss went for the wolf lord (warboss Init 1 with PK vs Init 1 T.hammer...I also had to assault through building/dead kan cover). But regardless, the whole unit (Lord, Battle leader, two remaining thunderwolves) all had 3+ inv from stormshields, which is why the other nobs (3 powerklaws, 3 big choppa) failed. I killed one normal Twolf.

Prior to charge:

Wounded wolves before kans:

http://i922.photobucket.com/albums/ad64/BossGrabnutz/Wolves/Wolves%20Revenge/6.jpg

http://i922.photobucket.com/albums/ad64/BossGrabnutz/Wolves/Wolves%20Revenge/7.jpg

http://i922.photobucket.com/albums/ad64/BossGrabnutz/Wolves/Wolves%20Revenge/8.jpg

@greatcrusade08: Page 39 (Determien Assault Results) ...only actual wounds suffered by enemy models (Including all the wounds lost by models that have suffered instant death)...

@greatcrusade08: Page 39 (Determien Assault Results) ...only actual wounds suffered by enemy models (Including all the wounds lost by models that have suffered instant death)...

a model that has suffered instant death has only sufffered one wound.. unless he was wounded prior to the ID wound, in which case those are counted..

edit: actually it does sound like your interpretation is correct, i shall be open minded.

Yeah the warboss went for the wolf lord (warboss Init 1 with PK vs Init 1 T.hammer...I also had to assault through building/dead kan cover). But regardless, the whole unit (Lord, Battle leader, two remaining thunderwolves) all had 3+ inv from stormshields, which is why the other nobs (3 powerklaws, 3 big choppa) failed. I killed one normal Twolf.

Cool, that makes sense.

How many points of swolves is that btw? I don't have the SW book in front of me.

BA can also put out a pretty mean anti-nob biker deathstar.

7 Assault Termis w/LC

Sanguinary Priest w/PW

Epistolary w/Unleash Rage and Sanguine Sword

Land Raider Crusader

Comes out to ~750 pts so it is expensive but still cheaper than a full nob bikers squad.

Epistolary gets 4 attacks on the charge, ~3 to 4 hits (WS5, re-roll to hit), ~3 wounds (S10), ~3 dead nob bikers (instakill due to S10)

Assault Termis get 28 attacks on the charge, ~21 hits (WS4, re-roll to hit), ~16 wounds (S5, re-roll to wound) ~8 dead nob bikers

Sanguinary Priest gets 4 attacks on the charge, ~3 to 4 hits (WS5, re-roll to hit), ~2 wounds (S5) ~1 dead nob biker

So on average, that amounts to.... 12 dead nob bikers before they can strike back. ;)

Archived