Techmarine close-combat unit.

the_forgefather

Guest Drunk Guardian

I've considered using an army that consisted of a MotF with a servitor attachment (harness on MotF, not CB)... 6 Venerable Dreads w/ Plasma Cannons, 1 Sniper Scout squad to take advantage of the bolstered defenses, and supporting Tactical Marines for objective capturing / tank hunting. The plan would be to march all 6 Dreads straight up the field in a tight formation with the MotF / Servitors keeping pace... I'd use the Venerable ability to have opponents re-roll wrecked/exploded results only, leaving weapon destroyed and immobilized results to the MotF/Servitors to deal with.

If I understand the rules correctly, the Dreads would provide cover saves for the MotF / Servitors and force the opponent to waste firepower dealing with them while the Dreads make their way up, ready to smack anything it gets near.

Still, it seems like a bit of a one trick pony that could be defeated through various tricks. I'd probably want to have 2 of the Dreads have assault cannons rather than plasma cannons and face the rear in order to block deep strikers from getting to Rear Armor on the other Dreads. The other problem being the Servitors are still frail and one good template shot is all it will take to blow away half of that unit.

Still, I think it'd be fun to try...

I weas considerig this sort of thing yesterday. The MOF would really need a rhino, so a tac squad would have to donate theirs. Even with 6 dreads in tight formation, I think you'd need the extra mobility to reach them quickly.

Not spec'd it up with ven dreads, but with regular ones, u could pack in 6 dreads, a MOF and between 2 and 4 tac squads or scout squads.

Only real fear is that while scary, dreads need support too, perhaps 6 can support each other but I suspect they'd need the troop support.

The Tech-marine Repair Crew and Dreadnought wall is a rolling Earth army; it can move, but it doesn't have to. I never thought about the implications of a Venerable Dread with a dedicated support crew, either. I can't help but think two Venerable Dreads set up for long-range shooting, along with a pair of Ironclads, would form a very tough target vs. incomming fire, especially if they're also in bolstered ruins, or have a screen of Tactical Marines.

What kind of stuff usually blows up Dreadnoughts, though? Need to counter that with leftover points.

Archived