Space Marine Captain w/ Relic Blade Conversion (Ultra)

Please let me know your thoughts. I need to give him a backpack and figure out where to put his side-arm. My current plan is to give him a normal backpack and create a "weapons base" that will always stay in contact with him but not count as a model (kinda like bomb squigs and grand marshall halbrecht of the black templars). I would model a little servo skull or something holding his sidearm. This way i can equip him with storm shield when he needs it or combi melta.

Conversion parts:

Body: Space Marine Chapter Masters, master of the recruits (the one with the bolt gun on the cover)

Arms+weapon: Space Marine Vanguard Assault Squad relic blade

Base: Green Stuff to give him a step and make the body more upright

Head: Space Marine Chapter Masters, master of the fleet... literally chiseled off of the power fist (an easier solution can be taken from the BA Death Company box or the command squad)

Backpack: I will most likely use the plastic captain's backpack with the eagles and might add the standard on it... please comment on this!!!

http://gallery.me.com/mattvucu/100008/CaptainWIP1_1/web.jpg

http://gallery.me.com/mattvucu/100008/CaptainWIP2_1/web.jpg

You can find a better quality .bmp image here:

http://gallery.me.com/mattvucu#gallery

nice model, lovely painting too! good steal of the power fist helmet! the only thing i would consider with the plastic commander eagle back pack is if it would make him look too broad- he is already big across his shoulders so it might make his legs look a slight bit disproportionate. tac the back pack on, take a pic and lets see! might be a good way to check it. and im never a massive fan of standards- might take away from his iron halo (was that stolen from the termie chap?). my 2 pennies worth there. nice work though so far.

Very nice mini, mate! Lovin the painting, as well as the conversion and the overall appearance of the model. Very nice, indeed.

The gold creates a well done contrast to the dark blue, and the cape makes him really stand out on the battlefield. Great job! :tu:

Snorri

Very nice indeed :) and a very good jobb on the head too btw... Could do very nice with the eagle backpack..

There is one other backpack from the dark-anges sprue that might fit very well too and that is the one with a small relic shrine in the back ;)

Cheers on a very nice and good jobb mate :)

Your paintjob is exquisite. I'm really loving the deep red of the cape, and the highlights on your helmet are impressive. The creative use of bitz is a great change. And I must commemorate you on taking that helmet off that powerfist...I've always thought of it, but I've always decided that it was much too much work for a helmet. Very nice.

Thanks for the replies guys!

for sar mikael: That is a great point... the other reason I might not use that backpack is that he already looks very similar to the honor guard (in size, has a cape etc) so I was thinking of having him be used as a relic blade honor guard member if i were to take them. I really hate having only 4 honor guard...

Just as a side note for those of you like Shortsonfire79 who are thinking of ripping the head off of the powerfist:

In order to do this I essentially chipped away the powerfist and completely destroyed it.

Not only that, but the bottom of the helmet was a little messed up so I had to use green stuff to fix it. Those vent lines on the helmet coming up from his chin are actually painted on... there is no indentation because it is where the green stuff is.

I am no sculpting expert (which is why I like to do cut and paste) and I would have to say it is not too hard to fix that chin area of the helmet.

The main reason one would choose to use this helmet is because of the bumps it has on the marine-mohawk and above the eye. I feel these dots add a lot to the helmet. I also am not good enough at sculpting to create them with green stuff since i would have trouble working with that small of a bit and also making them the same size

That's an awesome conversion, my suggestion would be to use a normal back pack so as not to unbalance the model. Unlike other HQs this guy has just the right amount of bling, well done!

Quick question, does the master of recruits body come with arms attached or no?

EDITED

The right arm will need to be cut off, i do not think the left was attached

The problem is most of the space marine models with capes will have the arms attached because it is harder to get the detached arm to fit in with the cape.

The cape was not a problem after I removed the arm... you can probably see it got messed up a bit from the rear angled picture. It isnt too noticeable and the backpack should cover it up nicely

VERY nice conversion, I really love that pose, and the paintjob ain't half bad either ;)

As for his sidearm, I like the servitor idea a lot, but how about placing it on the base like it's emptied and he discarded it? You can also do this for other wargear, and pin it on to act like a wound counter. Makes it all WYSIWYG and it's cooler then the ol' dice next to the model. And if you decide to give him another sidearm you don't need to change the entire servitor model.

Just as a side note for those of you like Shortsonfire79 who are thinking of ripping the head off of the powerfist:

In order to do this I essentially chipped away the powerfist and completely destroyed it.

Not only that, but the bottom of the helmet was a little messed up so I had to use green stuff to fix it. Those vent lines on the helmet coming up from his chin are actually painted on... there is no indentation because it is where the green stuff is.

I am no sculpting expert (which is why I like to do cut and paste) and I would have to say it is not too hard to fix that chin area of the helmet.

The main reason one would choose to use this helmet is because of the bumps it has on the marine-mohawk and above the eye. I feel these dots add a lot to the helmet. I also am not good enough at sculpting to create them with green stuff since i would have trouble working with that small of a bit and also making them the same size

I assumed the powerfist would be unsaveable... ;) Oh well. You are too right though, the dots on the eyes and head make so much more to the model. I'm sure though, that it would be quite simple to just get a plastic or other metal (not sure where you can acquire another head like this) and just add dots. But by all means, if you have an extra fist/head (like you and I) then you should go ahead and do it.

I agree with Hasoroth, a simple backpack would more than make this model. He is very nicely kitted out, and something way too over the top, could ruin it. Something simple would be nice, but not so simple where its just...meh. Perhaps the SM Commander one or something. Its not over the top, and its not too simple.

Again, fantastic model.

WOW :lol: i agree with using a simple backpack, or atleast not the commander backpack with the eagles im not a fan of that style tbh.

And a banner might look a little odd with the iron halo too?

That is a beautiful model. I especially like the deep red of the cape.

If anyone else is thinking of seperating that helmet from the powerfist, use an old craft knife and gently slice between the fingers and the mouth grille (not all the way through the fingers though).

Then make several small drill holes at the back of the helm where it meets the fist and use the knife to slowley widen and join up the drill holes.

You should then be able to undermine and carefully remove the helmet without any damage to the fist.

Archived