1000 pts in 14 days

zyx

Hail Brethren,

Inspired by the "build a competative army out of the worst and cheapest minis" I hit e-bay to see what was possible.

For the grand total of £39.50 I managed to secure:

- 2 captains

- 2 10 man tactical squads

- 7 combat oriented scouts and 2 snipers

- land speeder typhoon

- dreadnought with assault cannon

- vindicator

All of them need some rescue work, ie. stripping, addition of parts and basing, but they seem in good condition.

If you follow the link below you can see the pictures from ebay:

my flickr page

I've come up with the following roster that comes to exactly 1000 pts. I'll need to do some converting to make this work:

2 Librarians

Gate of infinity

2 10 man Tac squads

Melta gun

Plasma gun

Powerfist x 2

Lascannon x 2

5 man scout squad

4 x sniper rifles

missile launcher

Landspeeder

Heavy flamer

Dreadnought

assault cannon

heavy flamer

Vindicator

When all the army comes through the post I'll clean everything up, replace parts, and base everything up. Then I'll start the countdown of 14 days and see what happens.

I will update my flickr page and post reports here as things develop.

Here we go..........

Good luck to you sir! I hope you pull it off.

In all honesty i dont think it should be too difficult if you put your mind to it and get the stripping done quick. You've got 30 model so all you really need to do is manage just over 2 a day (but thats ignoring the stripping, converting and the fact that 3 are tanks!)

But any way good luck to you and your social life/sanity

Hail,

Just a quick update.

All miniatures have come through the post from ebay now. I'm test stripping one tonight in a box full of dettol disinfectant after having consulted the tutorial thread on paint stripping.

The morning will reveal if it has worked or not.....

I also decided that I didn't want my hq.s looking identical, as I had acquired the same captain model twice. So I raided my bitz box and found enough to put together a convincing Librarian. Pictures will follow on my flickr page soon

I think I'm also settled on painting them as Raven Guard....and have planned how to paint them.

Just a reminder too, and partial disclaimer, the two week deadline is for PAINTING ONLY. Although I am aiming to get the modelling / prep all done in a week, but this isn't set in stone.

The muster continues.

I just took another look at the models, and Zarnak is right: they look bad. Looks like someone went a little heavy on the spray paint.

Would you mind posting a pic once they are all stripped? I'd like to see how your method has worked out.

Hail,

Another update! I have put up a photo of my custom libby on flickr, if you follow the link in the original post you'll find him.

Plus, the test stripping went well. I took out the test mini this morning and gave it a scrub, and it took off most of the paint. I've put all of them in now and should have them stripped by tomorrow.

Borther Kovash, I'll certainly post a pic post stripping and describe how I did it.

Until later then....

Hail,

The tactical marines and other Librarian have been taken out of the stripping box, they've been scrubbed and are drying before their final clean up.

I've posted pictures of them on my flickr page, so if you follow the link in the original post you'll find them at their current stage.

Tomorrow I'm scrubbing the tanks and doing final clean of tacs. Things are looking good for all the prep being done by next Thursday, then the painting can begin.

The Emperor is happy.....well, apart from the whole being a living corpse sort of thing...

• 1 month later...

Hail,

It's been a while but I'm sticking to my original hope of doing this army in 14 sittings (rather than consecutive days). If you follow the original link to my flikr page (see 1st post) you'll see more recent progress.

I'll do a more detailed update soon with more photos on flikr.

Until then,

VINCTORIS AUT MORTIS

Woah! Haven't seen this in a while. Perhaps you should set up a B&C Album, it would be easier than trying to sort through your Flikr photos.

14 sittings, eh? Slightly less impressive than 14 days, but hey, if you finish, a nice army is better than no army.

Hail,

Visit my flickr page and you'll see new pictures of my progress.

I bought a sheet of Raven Guard transfers from Forge World , and with these the infantry are all complete. Though at the moment there's only a sample of these on flickr.

There are also preliminary photos of the vehicles.

Normish, I'm looking into a b&c album, but haven't figured it out yet.

One more session to go, and everything should be wrapped up.

Hail Brethren,

Glory to the Emperor and the Imperium!

My task is done. If you visit my flickr page (see orginal post for link) you will find the complete album of photos recording the progress of my 1000pts in 14 days / sessions. From start to finish you will see the original ebay auction photos, and see what state these minis were in, to the finished army.

As you can see it is a Raven Guard army which I chose because I wanted a codex adhereing force so that I could use standard transfers and markings. But I deviated from the more conventional colour scheme of black highlighted with grey, and instead went with a kind of "Viva Metallica" paint scheme. This was achieved by undercaoting the minis in black, then drybrushing boltgun metal on them, washing them with black ink, then drybrushing progressively lighter metal / silver layers and re-washing the model with black ink again. I did this for speed, and because I've already painted alot of the alternative black / grey in my time and I'm REALLY tired of it.

This hopefully adds to the battleworn feel to the army, as I wanted it to represent an urban war force that's been operating behind enemy lines for some time. As time goes on and they fight more battles I'm planning to add more battle damage and grime to their armour, plus any honorifics for exceptional actions. So this is not the end really, and in the future there may be more updates.

The minis were originally stripped using dettol anitseptic fluid. This worked really well, and was friendly to the plastics, and allowed me to strip them en masse. Though it did SMELL a lot. If any one wants a more detailed description of how this was done, please let me know.

The aim with this army was to see how quickly it could be done, and again I must say that I stuck to my original target of painting it all in 14 sittings. Though my topic does read "14 days" and this is slightly mis-leading, so my humble apologies. I wanted a table top quality army that had a little flavour, but would also be as competative as I could make it. Though they are un-blooded as yet, I feel I have achieved what I set out to do.

I hope you enjoy the photos, and perhaps some of you feel a little inspired.

On to my next project........Warlord titans for an up-coming game of Adeptus Titanicus.

There is nothing left to say but,

VICTORUS AUT MORTIS.

FOR CORAX AND THE EMPEROR.

Congrats!

As a big fan of recycling old, damaged, neglected and abandoned minis I have to applaud your work. Speed painting has its place and it would be great if more would realize that with just the slightest bit of effort and some very basic paint skills a very much decent tabletop quality job can be accomplished. I'm not sure if they have done it here on the B&C, I've not been on much lately, but on the Tyranid Hive forums we used to have a build or paint competition once a month with the winners getting a signature ribbon, usually it was 400-500pts worth of models of any type but had to show before during and after shots and then there was a poll to choose winners.

Archived