Question on Blood Talons for Furioso Dreads

dkehl

If you exchange the powerfists for the pair of blood talons on a furioso dreadnought, do they still count as dreadnought close combat weapons for the sake of hitting at strength 10 or do they hit at the dreadnoughts strength of 6. The Entry for Blood talons says they act like lightning claws allowing for re-rolls to wound, but are also mini power weapons, which is what has caused the controversy at what strength these weapons hit at.

No, they are not Dreadnought close combat weapons(it's not described as such) as explained in the rulebook, but rather different type of weapons(like the furioso librarian Force Weapon), as such they hit with Str 6.

Ran

No, they are not Dreadnought close combat weapons(it's not described as such) as explained in the rulebook, but rather different type of weapons(like the furioso librarian Force Weapon), as such they hit with Str 6.

Ran

I second that. Essentially the Dreadnought has a S6 lightning claw. When it has a pait though, not only does it get an extra attack but also an additional attack for every wound it causes. These extra attacks also generate additional attacks if they cause wounds. That means that they can be truely fearsome weapons. Cutting through MCs and infantry alike. Especially when they have Furious Charge.

(Note: the Furioso will only get additional attacks if these are wounds are suffered. Ie if they are saved by say a Storm Shield...not additional attack.) Hope this is clear enough and helps.

A Lightning claw is a PW that strikes at I and allows you to reroll to wound.

A DCCW is a PW that strikes at I and doubles your strength.

They are seperate peices of wargear, one is not the other. Otherwise, what would be the point in the bloodfists eh?

They are seperate peices of wargear, one is not the other. Otherwise, what would be the point in the bloodfists eh?

this is in-correct, it should be:

A DCCW is a PW that strikes at I1 and doubles your strength (to a maximum of 10).

Rymeer

a dreadnought close combat weapon doubles ST (to a max of 10), ignores armor saves and strikes at I, meaning there is no penalty to the I.

so a dread strikes at I4 or 5 with furious charge.

this is in-correct, it should be:

A DCCW is a PW that strikes at I1 and doubles your strength (to a maximum of 10).

Rymeer

1) Frankly, its accurate.

2) BrB. Pg. 6 tells us a stat cant go over 10, stating it again is redundant.

And yes Somar, a Dreadnaught will strike at its I, wich is normally 4 in most cases and can be 5 for BA with Furious charge, or 3 in case of the SWs Bjeorn the Fellhanded. RAW a Dread with a Chainfist- such as the C:SM Ironclad, will strike at I1. This probly isnt RAI, but its certainly how its worded.

Attacks can also go over 10

BrB, pg 6, paragraph 4.

.... However no modifier may raise any characteristic above 10 or lower it below 0. Saves can at best be modified to a 2+.

The section on attacks, same page- right column on the bottom, mentions nothing about being able to exceed this. So, whats your source?

Edit: It should be noted that vehicles are noted as having their own, seperate set of characteristics with their own rules. Thus AVs starting at 10 and going up.

BrB, pg 6, paragraph 4.

.... However no modifier may raise any characteristic above 10 or lower it below 0. Saves can at best be modified to a 2+.

The section on attacks, same page- right column on the bottom, mentions nothing about being able to exceed this. So, whats your source?

Edit: It should be noted that vehicles are noted as having their own, seperate set of characteristics with their own rules. Thus AVs starting at 10 and going up.

pg 37 right after the bullets.

BrB, pg 6, paragraph 4.

pg 37 right after the bullets.

Ah, good catch.

• 1 month later...
There is one instance that I know where you can effectively go over S10. That would be a BT Ven Dread with Tankhunters. When attacking vehicles, the dread is S10 in CC and then adds one to armor pen, essentially making him S11. It doesn't violate the rule however, because it adds to the armor pen roll, not the strength.

Archived