Defiant Sons Chapter Master

Odsox

Morning morning morning morning,

Right, I've decided, after having the uses of a Chapter Master recommended to me several times, to convert/modify a leader for my DIY Chapter (whose reworked IA is very nearly finished!), the Defiant Sons.

Originally I was going to start with the Terminator version modelled on Lysander, then remembered that he's a Captain and doesn't have the Orbital Bombardment ability, which is one of the main reasons people use the CM, I believe. So while I have ordered the parts I'll need - magnets, a Grey Knight Terminator, a shiny Thunder Hammer and a massive Storm Shield (drool), I'm going to work on the power-armoured version first.

Here are the bits I've ordered/found to make my power-armoured Chapter Master, who's going to be a Counts-As Kantor because I feel his abilities as a support character (Hold The Line! also gives me a reason to buy some lovely Sternguard units, tee hee!) suit my Chapter to a T, especially considering how relatively cheap he is.

http://hosting11.imagecross.com/image-hosting-th-42/1955CMBitz.jpg Click Image to Enlarge Image Hosting

As you can see, everything bar the SM Commander sprue power fist is some sort of special item which is going to need clipping, shaving or greenstuffing, which is one of the main reasons I'm looking forward to this. I get to make my own character AND defile Blood Angels equipment! Also, I figure I can chop and mod a wrist-mounted stormbolter fairly easily, even with my amateur abilities. I'll be using either a Heavy Bolter feed belt or a greenstuffed feed belt to connect it to the backpack - which is going to be a spare standard backpack with some converting done, though I have been tempted to give him the nice, boxy Lascannon backpack from the Devastator sprue.

He'll also be given a massive banner using the banner pole from the old Terminator Captain blister - as a side note, I only just noticed how much shorter than current Terminators he is - with a paper/fabric banner depending on the levels of effort I can be bothered to put in.

While I will be keeping this log, updates may be sporadic due to my infrequent "free" 'net access. <_<

Thanks for visiting,

Od.

Thats... odd. I saw them before i signed in and now i can't see the pics anymore :HQ:

Any way, from what i saw this looks like it will be sweet, although can i suggest that for the backpack you use a normal one and add in the ammo box from a terminator assault cannon, if you have the space wolves on it'll give you the belt as well!

Sooooo... updating a WIP without fresh pics... lame, I know.

But that's what you get when you get distracted by Fallout 3 and don't take pictures while there's still daylight (artificial light seems to throw my camera off for some reason).

First off, I paint my components seperately; I realise some people prefer to assemble their marines and paint them that way but quite frankly I have neither the skill nor the experience to do this, and because I use a straight paint rather than a mix, I don't need to worry about my marines being different shades.

Oh, and...

Don't forget you have gallery space here at the B&C. Put your pictures in there and you won't have to worry about limits imposed by imageshack/photobucket and the like. Just keep them power armor related. ;)

Duly noted! Thanks for the reminder! :)

Tonight I WILL get some pictures up of the component pieces, I swear!

Od.

BEHOLD! Better late than never, right?

The component pieces thus far:

gallery_50082_5169_104812.jpg

COLOURS USED:

Power Armour - Regal Blue w. Badab Black wash for shading, mix of Mordian Blue and Skull White highlights

Gold Trims - Tin Bitz coated with thinned Burnished Gold, shaded with Badab Black then highlighted with a mix of Burnished Gold and Skull White

Tabard - Mix of Mechrite Red and Chaos Black, four stages of highlighting ending in pure Mechrite Red for the brightest points

Faith Papers - Mix of Calthan Brown and Skull White, increased Skull White content for highlights

Power Fist/right arm - Boltgun Metal, shaded with Badab Black and highlighted with pure Mithril Silver

Helm - Chaos Black, highlighted with a mix of Chaos Black and Codex Grey (the paint, not the person)

Eye lenses - Scorpion Green (Throne that's a bright colour!), given a Badab Black wash to darken the corners

All the parts bar the backpack (because I'm still deciding on one) are under and base coated, and it's a damn shame I didn't get all my pics ulpoaded because I'm rather proud of the highlighting work I've done on the tabard and purity seal papers.

I've tried something different with the frilly toggle on the right Death Company leg - Tin Bitz base, dabbed with Iyanden Darksun. It looks.. I want to say terrible, but there's something about it. Maybe it looks too cartoony, I don't know.

Od.

Outstanding, love the integration of BA pieces. I've been itching to do something with them, but wasn't sure if the blood drops can be successfully wiped off.

Cheers! I really enjoy the conversion/modification part of this hobby and like I said, defiling BA stuff is satisfying. Sliced my thumbs up a bit mind, perhaps that was Sanguinius' (or Khorne's) karmic response.

Od.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived