Combat Patrol

fredbob524

So at my lgs a lot of people have started playing combat patrol:

1. Not 2+ saves

2. No 3 wound models

3. No vehicles with a combined av of 33 counting the front the rear, and the side once, may be used

4. One troop choice is required

5. There is a 0-1 HQ

6. Otherwise the normal force org is in effect

7. All units must be able to start on the board so no drop pods, spore pods or the like Exceptions are Demons, Legion of the damned and any other unit whose rules specifically say no matter the mission some will end up in reserves

I play codex marines and have done faily well with a list that is basically ml and lascannon spam but I am sure there are others on this site with much more experince then I who could share it with me me

My list is

Scouts plus pf and ml

Sternguard with a combi plasma and two lascannons

a four ml dev squad

and 2 heavy bolter razorback

Unfortunately I have no more mls, my only scout are cc and tac squads are too expensive for this

Also we might be running a double combat patrol tourney soon

I would love all the advice I could get

its ok...maybe lose the devastators and take a captain or chaplain (would add a bit of close combat muscle...) possibly lose sternguards lascannons and give them to the pair of razorbacks?(twin linked lascannon are much better...plus you get to use the whole sternguard squads special ammo, which is their best point!)

hope this helped...:)

thanks, for the possible double tourny I was thinking of finding a partner with a cc army, hopefully blood angels, but I also think it would be fun to partner up with some one else with a ranged army, for alpha striking fun

Id suggest a fast army with some fire power... flank, take/contest objectives, channel the enemy into firing lanes, deploying out of sight... that kind of thing.

You're doing a 500 point Combat Patrol army? That makes more sense for what you posted, as a normal Combat Patrol is a mere 400 points. Also, are you running your scouts with Sniper Rifles, bolters, or BP/CCW?

That's a lot of firepower squeezed into 500 points though. Depending on your local terrain metagame, and board size (it's supposed to be 4'x4') it's very possible most Close Combat armies will not survive closing the distance to engage you. If they do make into HtH, you're pretty much done, though. Remember you can use your Razorbacks to block assaults or run away. In fact, you should probably position your forces in such a way that one squad can make a 6" move, mount a Razorback, and go one direction, and another squad can mount a Razorback and go the opposite direction.

it is ussually only 400 pts huh I was told 500 I use the razor as los blocking cover if I am worried about that and do not have first turn, then I keep them close enogh that I can Get away if I need, The scouts are bp ccw, I wonder what would any one think of 2 plasma cannons and two more combis in the sternguard squad as opposed to the las cannons

Generally in combat patrol you will see more troops than tanks. I'd think the plasma canon would offer more upside than the lascanon and would still have a chance at shooting any transports.

Have you considered running without an HQ? If it truly is 0-1 then you might consider putting extra points into shooting. What I've seen is the 400 points combat patrol is 0-1 and then the 500 points combat patrol is standard force org with combat patrol limitations on armor and wounds. Do you know if you are just playing with an extra 100 points with no rules quirks?

-Myst

If you can, drop the Lascannons for Plasma Cannons. Devs concentrate on popping vehicles, Sternguard kill infantry, Scouts take ML pop-shots and counter assault for when someone foolishly charges your Sternguard. Since you're saving some points, you can throw in a Powerweapon or Fist somewhere.

Lascannon are expensive over kill for CP, as yet I have never needed more than misdsile launchers and autocannons, and krark nades in assualt.

Plasma cannon can be worth it, but i generally find the humble ML works just fine.

Archived