Infantry mounted Heavy Bolters

minigun762

Since the standard CSM box has a Heavy Bolter, has anyone had any success using them in your army?

At a first glance, I can't find a great place for them but I could be wrong.

1) Usable in CSM squads but turns the whole squad static. Plus Why wouldn't you just take an AC or ML for the same cost?

2) Could be useful for infiltrating Chosen, supported by a few Plasma guns. Creates a small forward firebase. I can't see anything wrong with this choice besides where to get the points to do it.

3) Havocs could take them, but that means you're not running with Oblits or Defilers. And again you could probably do better with AC/ML for the transport meta-game.

Chop them up and make them into dread TLHB arms?

Use them for the second HB on twin HB speeders, or just use them to give some speeders different HBs for variety.

Make yourself some TLHB razorbacks?

Make yourself some vastly different magnetized dakka pred sponson HBs?

Use them for loyalist tac, devestator(another sub-par choice) or scout squad(good choice IMO) HBs for variety?

Mount them on your IG tanks/superheavy for variety?

Mount them on your scratch built thunderhawk as turrets?

Use them as components in scenery/replace your bastion HBs with them?

Truth is, there's very little reason to ever take a HB in a CSM squad when you could take a double special or a heavy weapon that broadens their threat range such as a missile or autocannon IMO. If they were free, as they were for loyalists, maybe, but honestly even for loyalist tac squads the HB isn't all that useful. For an objective camping squad, I'd rather have the flexibility of a ML or the transport popping power of an AC any day.

Ill sometimes use Heavy bolters x4 in a Havoc squad. Missile launchers may seem better yeah, but rolling 3 shots to hit sometimes is better than 1 scatter shot. Granted i cant say i have used it much lately at all. My heavy slots are usually filled with a mix of these options: Defiler, Vindicator, Oblits, Land Raider.

Archived