special issue ammunition

ac4155

hi all,

can special issue ammunition be used with a storm bolter or is it removed if you upgrade to a storm bolter?

In the special issue ammunition its description says it works on Boltgun-armed models, but the storm bolter description is 'two boltguns attached side by side'

However, the only one that definitely would not be able to work with a storm bolter would be hellfire rounds as it says so in the description.

I think it would be only boltguns which get special issue ammunition.

Ac

It is only bolters and combi-bolters. Stormbolters can not use it.

Agreed; fluff aside, the storm bolter is a different weapon with a different shooting profile, ergo it is a not boltgun and cannot use special-issue ammo by RAW.

Personally, I think storm bolters being able to use special issue ammo would be better for gameplay since that would actually make the option for storm bolters worth taking on Sternguard, but the rules are very clear that it doesn't work that way.

Agreed; fluff aside, the storm bolter is a different weapon with a different shooting profile, ergo it is a not boltgun and cannot use special-issue ammo by RAW.

Personally, I think storm bolters being able to use special issue ammo would be better for gameplay since that would actually make the option for storm bolters worth taking on Sternguard, but the rules are very clear that it doesn't work that way.

Stormbolter armed sternguard would be really nasty and very popular choices.

Stormbolter armed sternguard would be really nasty and very popular choices.

At the same cost as a Combi-Weapon, for about the same increase in effectiveness.

Oddly though, it would make them truly horrid on the Assault. Imagine an Assault Squad, except with twice as many shots before the charge, which wound on 2s

I thought so, but just thought i would check.

How do Sternguard Veterans fair in game with the special issue ammunition and whats the best way to kit them?

I was thinking 3 with bolters, 1 meltagun, and Sargent w/ power fist and bolter

I thought so, but just thought i would check.

How do Sternguard Veterans fair in game with the special issue ammunition and whats the best way to kit them?

I was thinking 3 with bolters, 1 meltagun, and Sargent w/ power fist and bolter

they work great. My last game I cant lie they sat in their rhino all game because I didnt need them. but thats always a good thing...

game before that, they shot down a charging daemon prince with hellfire rounds in a single turn of shooting by themselves. And combi melta'd the chaos dreadnought to molten slag standing right behind him the following turn. They're killing machines

mine are equipped like so:

Sgt. w/Power fist

x4 sternguard w/combi-meltas

and x5 bolters

With the release of the new MK III power armor from Forge World, I'm now highly tempted to add Sternguard to my army. Of course, I don't really want to swap out the Umbra pattern bolters for combis. How effective is sternguard in a drop pod with just their special ammunition?

With the release of the new MK III power armor from Forge World, I'm now highly tempted to add Sternguard to my army. Of course, I don't really want to swap out the Umbra pattern bolters for combis. How effective is sternguard in a drop pod with just their special ammunition?

It works fine, but I wouldnt drop into the middle of anything too serious or crazy. sternguard for their points cost are NOT throw away troops.

Also, dont drop anywhere near any dreadnoughts or other armor. since you wont be bringing a powerfist or any combi meltas.

Archived