How to play with 9x Oblits

minigun762

For poops and grins, say I want to build my army in true (broken) Iron Warrior style and run with 9 Obliterators and as a greater challenge, I want to do it at 1500 points.

That means I really only have 825 to play with. I had some thoughts/questions that I'll toss out to get the discussion going.

1) Are 9 Lascannons enough AT to move away from Meltaguns?

2) Are 9 Plasma Cannons enough AI to not need Flamers or lots of Bolters?

3) How critical are Rhinos as mobile walls instead of transports?

4) Would you still want DPs as your HQ unit or would smaller, more hideable choices be a better option?

5) Does any of the above matter and you're still going to build the Chaos standard army but with less troops to handle the increased Heavy cost?

The only thing I would say is that Obliterators dislike high strength weaponry shooting them. So IMO two daemon princes add more threats that the enemies high strength weaponry has to deal with.

I haven't played a 9 oblit list though.

no . you can still only counter 3 targets per turn and to get 9 oblits you have to play 1850 or more points and at those points youn need to counter more.

you mean play only zerkers ? one could try but again with the way cover works and the fact that you cant blow up tanks and use plasma cannons on the same turn means it maybe problematic. flamers were never needed in chaos armies.

50/50. both are important.

4) Would you still want DPs as your HQ unit or would smaller, more hideable choices be a better option?

what do you mean by hideabale . sorc and lords suck as HQs as do the chaos specials . the fact that they can "hide" in units against shoting[and only if your opponent doesnt put more shots in to the unit then the number of models] doesnt compensated for all their bad sides. even in LR rush builds DPs still work better then lords.

5) Does any of the above matter and you're still going to build the Chaos standard army but with less troops to handle the increased Heavy cost?

armies with less troops lose . If your asking if playing 9 oblits at 1500 or fewer points is viable .. no its not. you not only dont have the rhinos to los shield the oblits , but also 3x3 man squads counter as many targets as 3x2 so you dont realy gain much [aside for having 225 break up the army composition . what more or less you end up with one less troops and some odd points you cant spend on even lessers. ].

I can't quote anything for tourney play, but in any one-off game you will PUNISH just about anything.

1 oblit is felt. 2 oblits can be dangerous. 3 oblits are lethal. 9 will gun down everything and anything. If you work your angles right to maximize outgoing fire and reduce the impact of incoming fire, then you will be erasing 3 things per turn.

Don't expect to be popular as a sportsman at any friendly gaming club though.

For poops and grins, say I want to build my army in true (broken) Iron Warrior style and run with 9 Obliterators and as a greater challenge, I want to do it at 1500 points.

You know back when this list was considered 'broken' I fielded it many times against friends with a pre-warning I was doing so. It's a total glass sword. The fame or infamy that surrounded this list is total garbage. Just that when it worked, it worked very hard, and very fast. But you have ONE bad turn of shooting and you can start packing your crud up.

Personally I think the list is bad, and inflexible. It is -very- beatable, especially since flank was added in 5th edition.

I don't know if anyone remembers way back a story on the forum about a guy who brought if for poops and grins to a tournament, and took so much harassment from bringing the list he quit the tournament early and left. (I don't know that the guy even did that well with it.)

If you catch someone totally unaware with it, you can really make the game nice and short and boring... but trust me this list style isn't nearly what it's all cracked up to be. I played this list style for experimentation's sake at 1500 points, and it was not only boring, it was really mediocre unless you played someone who had no idea what you were doing.

You'd better hope so! You will only be able to fire at 3 targets at one but if an opponent is going to struggle to get 3 tanks/dreads into 1500 points themselves

9 scattering plasma balls?!? ..... Forget tactics, every model on the table will just be glad to get out of the shooting phase alive...on either side! (sounds fun through!)

with 9 of them an enimies going to struggle to get rid of them all anyway. i'd spend what points you have on other stuff.

I'd take a DP becuase i think its the most cost effective way of meeting minimal HQ requirements. I'd pick a vanilla one and have done with it.

Definatly, with your special weapon box well and truly ticked i'd put anything i didn't need for a Oblits or DP HQ into a squad of raptors (if you playing missions), then ranks of troops to help give the army some weight. You remove the need for spend on alot of the normal upgrading you would do too IMO

.... regardless of the tactical merits, it sounds like a fun game to play ;)

with 9 of them an enimies going to struggle to get rid of them all anyway. i'd spend what points you have on other stuff.

have you tested this. how are 3 big units of oblits hard to counter [or harder to counter then normal 3x2 or any other support units which mostly are run as 3 too] when you cut on the number of rhinos , end up with huge oblit models in a true LoS enviroment . they die faster then 3x2 units in a normal chaos list just because of that.

You'd better hope so! You will only be able to fire at 3 targets at one but if an opponent is going to struggle to get 3 tanks/dreads into 1500 points themselves

standard chaos list for 1500. 2xDPs"tank"class . 3 transports 3x2 oblits army has more then 3 tank class units . Same with IG . SW will have same number of models , but will be able to counter 6 units with their LF instead of our 3 . etc etc. dont say that people will struggle. bad list will , but bad list always struggle against even the most basic stuff.

I would definitely try a proxy list out before you invest in the oblits. From what I've seen though, usually 2 man squads get the job done.

As for actually playing them, are they going to be deep striking in, or foot slogging?

Archived